Jonathan de Guzman discussion

SCF08

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by SCF08

Holland's most respected football journalist Johan Derksen has said in a football talkshow yesterday that JDG2 has made a final decision about his international career. He will be playing for Holland and he has already started procedures necessary to obtain the Dutch nationality....

http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=39176

I won't give up hope until it happens.

That being said, my position is remains that while disappointed, I wish him the best. If he chooses Holland, he is choosing a country where he lives, and has ties there. It's not as if he chose some third country.

The burden lies with the CSA as they allow these top players to represent other countries. Maybe if we had a head coach for the mens national team, and some direction for the program, and some interest from our own governing body this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

The blame should be on FIFA who allows players in youth academy around the world to play for the country of their club. That's stupid since it's giving an unfair advantage to the Europeans countries who have strong leagues, they just have to wait for their clubs to sign young africans and americans kids and if they turn to be good enough call them to their national teams.

It's too easy to blame the CSA on that one, the kid is refusing call up for our youth program since 2002, I guess at that time he was already feeling dutch....

Babelfish of the article:

"Jonathan have chosen the Guzman for interlandcarriere on behalf of the Netherlands. Vi-hoofdredacteur Johan Derksen this in football Insite have vanavond said. The Guzman doubt for a long time between the oranje and Canadian elftal. The talented middenvelder of Feyenoord had been born in the Canadian Scarborough, but has lived since its 12th life year in the Netherlands. For this reason the 19 person whose birthday it is the Guzman qualify for a Dutch passport. The middenvelder is the procedure obtain these meanwhile started."

So the only person saying Jono is choosing Holland is Johan Derksen and apparently the reason he is saying this is because Jonathan is starting the process of getting a Dutch passport. So until Jonathan says anything definitive, this is solely a rumour.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

The blame should be on FIFA who allows players in youth academy around the world to play for the country of their club. That's stupid since it's giving an unfair advantage to the Europeans countries who have strong leagues, they just have to wait for their clubs to sign young africans and americans kids and if they turn to be good enough call them to their national teams.

It's too easy to blame the CSA on that one, the kid is refusing call up for our youth program since 2002, I guess at that time he was already feeling dutch....

This is more evidence of why we need to keep young players here. Through a professional environment like we are starting to see emerging now and hopefully evolve with more canadan clubs in the MLS, we should see this probem dissappear over time. Fact is, the kid had been living now in Holland for several years. How much attachment to canada or its national teams or its soccer environment can he possibly still have? As far as the others who are playing thier trade in Europe in the same circumstances, whose to say that they wouldn't do the same if they had the talent that this kid has.

JDG1 said in an article (which mag, escapes me) that it would be a dream to play with his brother and help Canada to a World Cup. Let's hope that dream is alive and that he convinces his brother otherwise. Nothing is set in stone in Holland but he is good enough that the Dutch would entice him to stay rather than play in Canada. Maybe we should have a bake sale and send the proceeds to the CSA and bump up their budget to keep these players happy as it seems that Canadian Pride is being tested. I said before that my parents are off the boat from Italy but I know they would be devastatd if I chose play for Italy over Canada.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Babelfish of the article:

"Jonathan have chosen the Guzman for interlandcarriere on behalf of the Netherlands. Vi-hoofdredacteur Johan Derksen this in football Insite have vanavond said. The Guzman doubt for a long time between the oranje and Canadian elftal. The talented middenvelder of Feyenoord had been born in the Canadian Scarborough, but has lived since its 12th life year in the Netherlands. For this reason the 19 person whose birthday it is the Guzman qualify for a Dutch passport. The middenvelder is the procedure obtain these meanwhile started."

So the only person saying Jono is choosing Holland is Johan Derksen and apparently the reason he is saying this is because Jonathan is starting the process of getting a Dutch passport. So until Jonathan says anything definitive, this is solely a rumour.

No , Its not a rumour... Johan Derksen didnt mention a reason. First he said that JDG2 will play for Holland and that his decision was final. He followed up with saying that he ALSO started the procedure to obtain a Dutch passport. It was not a because but it was a also...

Johan Derksen is right about these sort of things. He knows stuff that nobody knows and he has 60 journalists working for him and his Football Magazine and Football talkshow...

He also said that Fagner would sign for PSV yesterday and Ronald Koeman (Manager PSV) who was guest yesterday was flabbergasted that Johan knew and couldnt do anything else but confirm the transfer..

<Mod>

Easy with the language, lads. I promise to allow everyone a go at their best over-the-top, shop floor, colourfully offensive rants if Jonathan pulls on a Dutch kit but so far, he hasn't. So until then try to remember there are ladies present.

Well, okay. Sure. There could be ladies present.

(What? It could happen).

Having a beef pie and lager for lunch

Cheeta

</Mod>

Blaming the CSA is NOT stupid

Is CSA to blame for Mark Chung choosing U.S.A. over Canada? I don’t even think that CSA was aware of Mark Chung. Mark Chung moved to Florida from Toronto at 14 years old and led the NCAA in scoring, played for the U.S. and in the MLS. Pipe and his cronies were untouchable at the time.

Is CSA to blame for Owen Heargraves choosing England over Canada? Well, I’m sure that CSA was partly to blame. After all, TT cut Owen from the U17 National team. Owen went on to play for England and was voted as England player of the year. How would like to be the coach known for cutting an England player of the year at the age of 17? The funny part was TT was rehired by the OSA, so go figure. Who does the hiring for OSA?

Is CSA to blame for Jonathan DeGuzman choosing Holland? Jonathan’s brother plays for Canada who happens to have an influence over Jonathan along with their father Bobby. TT also cut Julian at U17 and Julian was the escape goat for U20’s pathetic performance in Argentina according to coach PJ & commentator Gerry Dobson. Julian also underachieved and underperforms for the National team based on comments on this forum. I read a magazine awhile back “It’s called Futbol” Julian stating that U20 in Argentina was his lowest point of his career but did not elaborate. I also read from local newspapers Bobby’s claims that the CSA hasn’t got their act together, lacks professionalism and politics. Didn’t Bobby also have an insurance issue with the CSA in regards to payment for Julian’s injury which he sustained on a friendly against Germany? Add Jonathan’s suspension from playing any soccer activities for 3 months at a tender age of 10 in Ontario. Who in their right mind suspends a 10 year old from playing soccer? Only in Canada I guess and the incompetence is evident right down to the grassroots. Add to the fact that the National team does not have a permanent coach in place to present an attractive plan in pursuit of 2010 WC qualifying. IMHO I would say that DeGuzman’s have definite issues with CSA and I will without doubt say that CSA is partly to blame for Jonathan’s decision.

Mark, Owen and Jonathan aren’t the last Canadians to abandon Canada. Until CSA gets its act together and begin with appointing a leader with vision and a blue print program in place that would not just be attractive but a program that would develop our young talents. Our National team program is a big joke and we have the results for the past year to prove it. Hiring FY was clearly another mistake by the CSA and I will go on record to say that the only decent coach CSA hired was Holger who probably could’ve convinced JDG2 to play for Canada. EURO 2008 is deep in qualifying rounds and CONCAAF qualifying is just around the corner. Canada has an interim coach, how much longer will CSA wait until they hire a decent permanent coach? We could keep on blaming the players and coaches but CSA is also responsible. For now, I believe that JDG2 chose Holland because he feels more Dutch than Canadian but blaming the CSA is NOT stupid.

Off topic, wouldn’t it be better for Toronto FC to acquire midfield DD rather than Carl Robinson? I hope Toronto FC does not become another endless mistakes of Canadian Soccer.

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

No , Its not a rumour... Johan Derksen didnt mention a reason. First he said that JDG2 will play for Holland and that his decision was final. He followed up with saying that he ALSO started the procedure to obtain a Dutch passport. It was not a because but it was a also...

Johan Derksen is right about these sort of things. He knows stuff that nobody knows and he has 60 journalists working for him and his Football Magazine and Football talkshow...

He also said that Fagner would sign for PSV yesterday and Ronald Koeman (Manager PSV) who was guest yesterday was flabbergasted that Johan knew and couldnt do anything else but confirm the transfer..

But thats the point some people are making SCF08... that Jonathan DeGuzman has not been quoted as saying he will not play for Canada. Until then I also will hold out hope! Comon Jonathan we need you!!

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

But thats the point some people are making SCF08... that Jonathan DeGuzman has not been quoted as saying he will not play for Canada. Until then I also will hold out hope! Comon Jonathan we need you!!

He wasnt quoted but Johan Derksen wouldnt mention this in a million years if either JDG2 or a Feyenoord-Connection or the management of JDG2 didnt mention this personally to Johan Derksen....

Believe me , This guys knows..

He was the first on the case of Salomon Kalou who also wanted to play for Holland but he couldnt obtain a passport.

Guest Jeffery S.

For anything Derkson might say, he is not the national coach. And right now you have to tell me if Van Basten is going to call him up. The team is doing much more poorly than last year, he is probably not even having as good a season, or at least struggling after Feyneroord oversold last summer and did not compensate enough. Saying this not to slag, just to suggest that the question about sure things is not in the journalist's hands nor the player's. It is in the national team coach's hands. As always.

I am not sure but him needing to stay in Holland until getting citizenship may also mean he has already decided to stay at the club and play out at least another year of the contract.

Still, I understand he could be close to being Dutch national team material. Maybe the national team coach has even told him so. I would like to think our national team coach has also, but we bloody well don't have one:

"Hey, Jono, wanna come play, we don't have any games and practice when you are working, we don't have a coach and are not really sure who is running the team from the office, and no, we have no games planned either. So what is it going to be? Wanna come play?"

This is perhaps why you could blame the CSA, as they are so generally inept that even what could possibly maybe be done to stop the bleeding does not get done. Which is why if they don't have to come play with us, they just don't, because we don't look like to much fun right now.

Archived