Big change to Colorado Rapids organization?

Loud Mouth Soup

Found this rumour floating on an Arsenal board, but no confirmation of any official connection, but...

It appears the Colorado Rapids may be changing their name to The Colorado Arsenal or Arsenal Colorado. The connection might not be to the London club (well, there's a connection in name at the minimum), but it seems their new stadium is to be built on the former sight of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal, a former "United States chemical weapons manufacturing center located in the Denver Metropolitan Area in Commerce City, Colorado". See Wikipedia.

Test page and logo that were up earlier, now down

Now-inactive URL

Screen caps:

arsenalcolorado1yl5.jpg

arsenalcoloradofclogoav8.jpg

This is the problem with soccer in North America, nobody can make up their mind. Whats better, traditional North American nicknames, or European style names? The former makes it look mickey mouse, but the latter means they rip off from other teams, so how do they get a unique brand? call every team an FC? Use sponsors like Red Bull NY? These are meant to be rhetorical questions, because I want to know the answer, but is there one?

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Arsenal have announced the "Official Link Up" with the Rapids.

Clicky-poo

Interesting. Wonder if this is the start of a trend. And who could Toronto FC link up with. Perhaps an Adidas and Carlsberg-sponsored, red-wearing, high profile Euro football club, owned by NHL owners?

quote:Originally posted by marktci

Interesting. Wonder if this is the start of a trend. And who could Toronto FC link up with. Perhaps an Adidas and Carlsberg-sponsored, red-wearing, high profile Euro football club, owned by NHL owners?

Uncle Sam. Farm team for the USMNT.

quote:Originally posted by marktci

Yes the ones that own the Habs as well... MLSE will most likely partner with liverpool. Leaf supporters everywhere will rejoice at that announcement.

I hope you were sarcastic.

Well in the end I love the "big change" that has happand in Colorado. They keep the name, but get a MUCH better logo. Very happy indeed.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20070210&content_id=83422&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

"Arsenal brings 120 years of tradition to the partnership, including 13 league titles in England's top flight, and the Rapids hope to utilize that expertise in new youth programs at the club's new Colorado-based soccer complex, hosting training camps and clinics through the new Arsenal Center of Excellence as well as the inaugural Arsenal Cup, an invitational tournament bringing together youth clubs from all over the country to compete in Colorado. The first tournament is tentatively scheduled for July 2007, with the winning club heading to England as part of their prize."

Good to see MLS is working hard at the youth level.

James Wadsworth

http://canuckreport.blogspot.com/

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Uncle Sam. Farm team for the USMNT.

Toronto FC Canadians:

SENIOR ROSTER

1. Jim Brennan

2. Marco Reda

3. Chris Pozniak

4. Greg Sutton

5. Adam Braz

DEVELOPMENT ROSTER/ON TRIAL

1. Andrea Lombardo

2. Richard Asante

3. Jeff Gonsalves

4. Jamaal Smith

5. John Paul Piques

6. David Monsalve

7. Tyler Hemming

8. Joey Melo

9. Tomer Chencinski

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Toronto FC Canadians:

SENIOR ROSTER

1. Jim Brennan

2. Marco Reda

3. Chris Pozniak

4. Greg Sutton

5. Adam Braz

DEVELOPMENT ROSTER/ON TRIAL

1. Andrea Lombardo

2. Richard Asante

3. Jeff Gonsalves

4. Jamaal Smith

5. John Paul Piques

6. David Monsalve

7. Tyler Hemming

8. Joey Melo

9. Tomer Chencinski

a dissapointing list.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

a dissapointing list.

How so? Were you seriously expecting the entire senior and U20- Canadian teams to migrate over to TFC?

Was Tomasz Radzinski just going to drop his 30k pounds per week and join Toronto FC for $300k US per year? Is Julian De Guzman really expected to leave La Liga and take a step back at 25 years old to play in MLS? I think people's expectations of what MLS would bring are way ofut of whack.

There are 14 Canadian names on that list, with many more to be added when the youth teams become mandated. Anyone who thought that TFC would be devoid of any international influence doesn't pay attention to club soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

How so?

I would not call it a disappointing list, but it could be better.

For one Toronto has no Canadian striker for the starting 11. I was hoping to see a Canadian at all three positions. And I am not talking about getting Radzinski to come back. A player like Alen Marcina could have worked, I think.

And by far the worst thing about the list is that Adrian Serioux is not on it. But that horse has been beat many times before...

James Wadsworth

http://canuckreport.blogspot.com/

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

I would not call it a disappointing list, but it could be better.

I agree it could be better, but we still have a plethora of young Canucks on the team, many of whom even most of us haven't heard of.

I'd prefer to have 'no name' Canadians coming up through the ranks rather than those who have already establisjed their careers.

First and foremost, TFC is a pro team, which means that it's obligation is to build the most competitive squad within the rules set out. They were never going to do that by going all Canadian in year one.

Development is almost a side effect of building a good team, and as the years go on and all of those U14-U19 teams take shape, TFC will be a develpoment force within Southern Ontario.

Plus, unless I am mistaken, there are at 2-3 more senior Canadian spots to be added, so the list still isn't final. I was slightly disappointed as well before the addition of Lombardo was announced, which just serves as a reminder that you can't make a final judgment until the final rosters are set....

I quite liked the Rapids colours. I think that re-doing the logo was sufficient enough without changing the entire colour scheme.

Same with the Galaxy. Why are North American sports teams so eager to change their colours so often? I say this as a Canucks fan too, so I'm well versed in it.

Pick a look and stick with it. That's how you build tradition, not based on jersey sales!

quote:Originally posted by Richard

But it's all about money and new strip means increased shirt sales at inflated prices. Doesn't matter if it is MLS or NHL it's all about the money no matter what they say in public.

Unfortunately, you are spot on.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Why are North American sports teams so eager to change their colours so often? I say this as a Canucks fan too, so I'm well versed in it.

Why North America? Do you not notice how many times European teams change sponsors, kits, etc? I have bought too many Arsenal kits to keep track of since 2000 alone.

Archived