Canadian Soccer Documentary!

lefoot

Hey Canadian soccer fanatics,

I made this short documentary around Canada's lead-up and appearance at the 1986 World Cup. It was intended for the Berlinale, or Berlin International Film Festival, as they had a section called Shoot Films, Shoot Goals. The idea was to have filmmakers from around the world make shorts about soccer etc. All formats, open story structure etc. Anyways, I just threw it up on Youtube. Its 5 minutes long. Check it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/halfvolley

I think that should work.

quote:Originally posted by lefoot

Yeah I kind of sat on this because I didn't get shortlisted for the fest, so I was kind of choked. Film fests prefer more cultural pieces, not so graphic etc. Anyways...thanks for checking it!

r

very nice - I'd like to add it CanadaKicks if that's ok?

Bill

Yeah for sure add it to Canada Kicks. If you would like I can send you a proper Mpeg that you can just put up on the site. Through yousentit.com or something similar. Youtube turns everything into flash, hence its a littttle grainy...but that adds to the charm.

Did you have anything to do with the TSN documentary, "The Journey"? Because

the characters (Wilson, Lenarduzzi, Waiters) were wearing the same clothes as

in the documentary, as well as parapharasing similar lines.

Still a great watch, I hope every player in Canada's fold gets to see it

and see what's possible ... and emulate it!

Nope I haven't heard of that TSN doc in fact. I should check it out, as I do think its a great story in terms of Canadian culture, history etc. I am a big fan of that Cosmos doc by the way. It has a certain aesthetic appeal and energy. And a nice way to recreate the era. I think if i had a larger budget then you get into things like Soundtrack, fashion, all the influences and elements of the mid 80s that defined that era, and the teams journey through to Mexico. There is a certain romanticism to it I think! Not to sound cheesy etc.

I would like to do something simlar about players in Europe, again digging into more than the soccer, but getting into the idea of a sort of cultural shift. Hanging in Berlin and London in the pubs and clubs, trying to understand the socialization that would be involved in attempting to become a Canadian soccer professional. And to be essentially ignored in your own country for it! I mean in terms of larger day to day media coverage etc. Must be trip!

Archived