Alen Marcina

NZKNIGHTS

I'm from New Zealand and a while back Alen Marcina was signed to my club New Zealand Knights to solve our goal scoring issues. At first i thought oh yeah just another striker wont do much but slowly i watched Alen evolve into one of the best strikers i've seen in the Australian A-League. Alen is a real talent and someone i rate very highly as a player and a person off the pitch.

I was very happy to hear that Alen would miss our last game of the season because of Canadian national team commitments.

Does anyone here know what Alens club future beholds. Im hoping he comes back to New Zealand next season although i feel he has what it takes to cut it somewhere in Europe. Anyone know anything about where he will sign next?

Marcina is definitely a great story. Bottom line this guy is able to score goals and is continually proving it. I hope he makes the right decision for his future being in new zealand, usa or europe! With Puerto Rico he was also top scorer and third in league!

I appreciate your info on Alen as I cant get any A league games being in Korea.

I have to agree with you that I feel Marcina's decision to return to Puerto Rico being a step backwards. I was hoping for him to try and move up a level and use his brief stint in the A league as a stepping stone to possibly MLS/Europe/or even a return to the A league, whether it be with your kiwi boys or another A league side.

Perhaps Alen feels he has a better opportunity if he continues to shine in North America to make that jump to the MLS, as it will be easier for coaches to keep tabs on him. I guess even concerning his MNT aspirations this may be his reasoning.

Only time will tell if Alen's decision was the correct one or not.

Unfortunately, I feel it is the latter.

One would think that with his goal scoring record last season with Puerto Rico he would get serious consideration from TFC.

As much as Lombardo getting a look is good for his development, I don't imagine that a Serie D player will be making much of an impact this season, especially at his age. Whereas Marcina may be able to make more of an instant contribution.

I think you're confusing Lombardo with Uccello, RJB. Lombardo never played in Serie D, plus he is only one year removed from the Primavera (youth) team of a Serie A club.

As for Marcina's move, is it really that bad? How good is the A-League compared to the old A-League (now the USL Div. 1, hehe)? Plus you have to figure he has a better shot at the MLS playing closer to it, then being on the other side of the world.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I think you're confusing Lombardo with Uccello, RJB. Lombardo never played in Serie D, plus he is only one year removed from the Primavera (youth) team of a Serie A club.

I think that you're right.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has been talked about before, but Marcina's move makes a lot of sense:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Knights_FC

On 13 December 2006, strong rumours resurfaced that the FFA was considering the revocation of the Knights' licence to compete in the A-League. It quickly became clear that, with five weeks remaining in the current season, the FFA fully intended to reclaim the licence from the Knights [5]. The FFA had continued to express angst at low attendance numbers, poor on-field performance and the lack of domestically developed players (ibid).

Late on 14 December, the FFA announced that it had revoked the competition licence held by the Knights' owners. An arrangement with NZ Soccer will see the national body step in to manage the club for the remaining five weeks of the regular season, with former All Whites player Ricki Herbert to fill the role of Head Coach .

Effectively the Knights ceased to exist on 21 January when the final match of the season was played against Perth Glory.

The FFA called for applicants to field a new New Zealand team in the competition for the 2007-08 season. There were three initial bids, but after a merger and withdrawal, a joint Wellington-Palmerston North consortium appears most likely to be the successful licensee.

James Wadsworth

http://canuckreport.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Since this stage the club has now been brought out by new owners.

We have a fresh start and are looking to build our squad backup. Alens name has been thrown around alot so if we could get him back i would be stoked. Seen him at the first training session when he arrived and i was thinking this guy is quick with a nice touch and a classy finish, why isnt he in Europe.

quote:Originally posted by NZKNIGHTS

Since this stage the club has now been brought out by new owners.

We have a fresh start and are looking to build our squad backup. Alens name has been thrown around alot so if we could get him back i would be stoked. Seen him at the first training session when he arrived and i was thinking this guy is quick with a nice touch and a classy finish, why isnt he in Europe.

Good luck to you guys!

New Zealand in danger of losing A-League license

SYDNEY, March 12 (Reuters) - New Zealand are in danger of losing their place in next season's A-League competition to an Australian soccer team because of funding problems.

The Football Federation of Australia (FFA), which runs the fledgling tournament, has given a Wellington consortium until Wednesday to come up with A$2 million (US$1.56 million) or be replaced by a new Australian club.

New Zealand Soccer officials have proposed that Wellington replace the Auckland-based Knights whose licence was revoked because of insolvency issues.

ADVERTISEMENT

But the FFA head of operations Matt Carroll said New Zealand Soccer had missed a deadline to show how they would finance the club and were in danger of losing their licence to an Australian outfit if they could not come up with the money by Wednesday.

"We've upped the ante with New Zealand today -- they've been very slow in coming forward with the financials to show us how they can actually fund the club," Carroll told reporters in Sydney on Monday.

"As much as Wellington is a great city and they've got a great coach and infrastructure, without the necessary funding it would be very hard to run an A-League club."

The remaining seven clubs in the A-League are all based in Australia. The competition was set up two years ago as part of a major overhaul of the way soccer is run in Australia.

A late backer now labelled "The White Knight" put $50,000 NZ in to get the franchise bid over the line.

The Australia Football governing body will now decided weather to grant the licesne to the Wellington bid although it is likely they will.

Hey there, im a PR Islanders fan and Im happy that he came back, seriously New Zealand dosnt match up with the lvl he was in playing in the Islanders and A-League teams are not that far in lvl for Div 1 teams. He is closer to MLS and he already had bad experiences in Greece where he was also offered a contract again after the 2006 season. But i think he still has a shot somewhere else and i dont expect him staying in the Islander past this season.

• 9 years later...
1 hour ago, matty said:

Ok so to relaunch a seemingly dead thread but I'm interviewing Marcina about being a Canadian manager and want to see if anyone has any questions for him that I might not have thought up.

If you have anything let me know and I'll make sure I ask him.

1-I'd be interested to know about coaching Dani Fernandes. I know he does think of himself as Canadian first but interested to know if Marcina has an opinion about it. 

2-Also about coaching for a team that was owned by Rayo Vallecano, if in any way he noticed any difference, interference. 

Just now, yothat said:

1 Where does he see his professional coaching career going? Ambition?

2 Is he connected with the CSA?

3 Will he coach in the CPL?

4 Who is the most talented played he has coached & played with? 

5 Difference between MLS & NASL & USL?

Have questions 1-3 in the pipeline and 4 will be interesting.

Just so everyone knows, the interview will likely be published next week because he's busy this week with finals

47 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

2-Also about coaching for a team that was owned by Rayo Vallecano, if in any way he noticed any difference, interference. 

Definetly asking about Rayo OKC and San Antonio