Goalies

mohammedinho

I myself am a terrible goalie. Funny how I don't mind standing in a wall, however as soon as I put the gloves on, I'm afraid of the ball.

My top three in the world are Gianluigi Buffon, Peter Crouch, and Craig Gordon, in that order. And it kills me to put Gordon on that list, because I'm a Hibs fan, but he has played so well lately. I hope that he does move to Arsenal so that I not feel guilty liking him.

I'm still a pretty good goalie but wouldn't put myself in that list......;)

My top 5:

Buffon

Van der Sar

Cech

Lemhans

Given

I love Gordon, very talented and in the premiership I'm always impress with Jussi Jeskaleinen.

BTW, this thread should be move to the World soccer section.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Crouch? Am I missing something, or has Skeletor the skinny switched positions?

I'm not certain on Gordon yet, but that;s more down to now seeing him play much. If he's as good as people say, I wouldn't be adverse to him at Arsenal.

HAHAHA. That's embarassing. Petr Cech.

Freudian slip I guess.

quote:Originally posted by marktci

I am guessing that Paddy Kenny is the best one-eyebrowed keeper in the world.

That's a great story just like the one of fellow keeper Stefan Postma. Kenny's best friend sleeps with his wife and then bites off his eyebrow and no sympathy from his manager. Reality is funnier than fiction.

I let in the tying goal with 30 seconds to go last night. One on one from a tight angle, I went down to take away the cross and he flipped it over me. Still gutted, it's going to haunt me all week. Being a good keeper is a source of great pride, but also an overbearing burden of responsibility.

These guys have held up their end the best:

1) Edwin Van der Saar

2) Brad Friedel

3) Maik Taylor

4) Mark Schwarzer

5) Jens Lehman

in terms of pure talent:

1) Gigi Buffon

2) Peter Cech

3) Iker Casillas

4) Shay Given

5) Andreas Isaakson

5) Juusi Jaaskalainen

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I love Gordon, very talented and in the premiership I'm always impress with Jussi Jeskaleinen.

Jaaskelainen with the incredible game saving save today, I,ve seen him a lot this year and I think he's currently the best keeper in the EPL.

Guest Jeffery S.

Question of pure fashion:

Victor Valdes is the best keeper in Spain (perhaps Abondanzzeri rivals this year), has been for a few years, but noone recognizes him. His performance was stellar stopping Henry in the Champions final, last night he saved a penalty (that is two out of three in the league this year) with the game still scoreless. But he is not fashionable, while others are. Maybe made one real blunder all of last year (in a game vs. Valencia where Cañizares made another to leave it at a draw). Is better with his feet than almost all of those mentioned, and plays on an attacking team that leaves more open spaces at the back, defends corners and free kicks in mediocre fashion, so has to cover for a lot of looseness. Also ends up coming out of the box a lot.

Goalkeeping ratings are like ref ratings, they are based on pure bunk half the time, on trends, physical looks (!), hype, and rarely on real performance. Right now I think Valdes would be in the top half dozen in Europe easily. But noone out there will ever acknowledge this, just like in Spain they will continue to call up to the national team guys with talent but with more lagoons like Reina and Casillas.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Victor Valdes is the best keeper in Spain (perhaps Abondanzzeri rivals this year), has been for a few years, but noone recognizes him. His performance was stellar stopping Henry in the Champions final, last night he saved a penalty (that is two out of three in the league this year) with the game still scoreless. But he is not fashionable, while others are. Maybe made one real blunder all of last year (in a game vs. Valencia where Cañizares made another to leave it at a draw). Is better with his feet than almost all of those mentioned, and plays on an attacking team that leaves more open spaces at the back, defends corners and free kicks in mediocre fashion, so has to cover for a lot of looseness. Also ends up coming out of the box a lot.

Goalkeeping ratings are like ref ratings, they are based on pure bunk half the time, on trends, physical looks (!), hype, and rarely on real performance. Right now I think Valdes would be in the top half dozen in Europe easily. But noone out there will ever acknowledge this, just like in Spain they will continue to call up to the national team guys with talent but with more lagoons like Reina and Casillas.

Agree, it's hard to compare keepers, I like to judge them on the mistakes they make but it's sometime unfair to some keepers since they are seeing more action than others.

Guys like Cech, Van der Sar and Lemhans are pretty solid and don't make that much mistakes but aren't winning games that often compare to a Jaaskeleinen or a Shay Given.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

It's very hard to compare 'keepers, but Casillas hasn't conceeded many more goals than Valdes over the past 2-3 years while playing for a far worse team. So Casillas >> Valdes.

Archived