Hargreaves Selected Best English Footballer 2006

Grizzly

I will post this at the risk of starting another storm. Seems a very poor and ignorant choice by the English fans who seem to know nothing of the terrible year he has had with Bayern being injured for much of it and often not even being a starter when healthy. It seems they made the selection based on two good matches in the World Cup. That he was chosen their best player in the World Cup I can understand but he should have to have some comparable professional achievements to be their player of the year.

Link

Hargreaves is 2006 favourite for England fans

LONDON, Jan 30 (Reuters) - Midfielder Owen Hargreaves, once a target for the boo boys, has won the fans' vote as England Player of the Year 2006, the Football Association (FA) said on Tuesday. Hargreaves, sidelined since breaking his leg with Bayern Munich last September, got his latest accolade in a poll on the FA's Web site (www.thefa.com), having already been voted England's best player of the World Cup in Germany by supporters.

The Canadian-born midfielder was outstanding in England's World Cup quarter-final against Portugal, lost on penalties, and has since become a transfer target for Manchester United.

Yet the 26-year-old's current standing with the fans is a far cry from last year, when he was a fringe player and was booed when he came on in friendlies against Belarus and Hungary and again in their opening World Cup group win over Paraguay.

Commenting on his award, Hargreaves told the FA's Web site: "Any time you can receive the support of the fans is very special so thank you to everyone who voted for me.

"I'm hoping that 2007 will also be a really good year too. I'm very nearly ready to start playing again and hopefully I'll be back playing for England again soon and I've got my eye on the big (Euro 2008) qualifiers in March."

Hargreaves received 29 percent of the vote, beating fellow midfielder Steven Gerrard (18) and striker Peter Crouch (15).

Third in Group E, a point behind Russia and three adrift of leaders Croatia, England have a qualifier in Israel on Mar. 24 and in Barcelona against Andorra four days later

<mod>Cleaned up the link</mod>

Thanks for changing the link Sigma. Is there a thread on how to do this? I am using the Opera browser which breaks the link up automatically so it doesn't stretch out the page but I remember how irritating this was before so I will post shortened links in future if someone can show me how.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Thanks for changing the link Sigma. Is there a thread on how to do this? I am using the Opera browser which breaks the link up automatically so it doesn't stretch out the page but I remember how irritating this was before so I will post shortened links in future if someone can show me how.

(url="http://www.canwepleaselettheowenhargreavesthingdieonceandforall.com")Name link here(/url)

with square brackets

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I will post this at the risk of starting another storm. Seems a very poor and ignorant choice by the English fans who seem to know nothing of the terrible year he has had with Bayern being injured for much of it and often not even being a starter when healthy. It seems they made the selection based on two good matches in the World Cup. That he was chosen their best player in the World Cup I can understand but he should have to have some comparable professional achievements to be their player of the year.

"ENGLAND</u> football player of the year". That's not the same as best English footballer of the season (for which Hargraeves wouldn't even qualify if I'm not mistaken).

So I'm thinking what he did for Bayern is irrelevent. The England NT only played 8-9 matches in 2006, during which Hargraeves was probably their best player.

Archived