New York signs Ronald Waterreus

Loud Mouth Soup

Announced on MLSnet.com today.

Bulls sign Dutch 'keeper Waterreus

The New York Red Bulls on Monday announced they have signed former Dutch national team goalkeeper Ronald Waterreus as a senior international. The 36-year-old heads to New York after a very successful career in Europe, including winning several championships in his native country as a member of PSV Eindhoven.

"It has been one of my goals to play here in the United States," Waterreus said. "I spoke to Bruce Arena and Jeff Agoos about being someone who has played at a high level in Europe and can use that experience to lead and help the younger players with the club. I am looking forward to that."

In addition to his impressive club resume, Waterreus is also a former international. He earned seven caps for the world-renowned Dutch side, including one against the U.S. side in a friendly leading up to the 2002 World Cup. His 11-save performance helped the Orange to a 2-0 win against Bruce Arena's side.

I am very happy to see Ronald again. I met him when he played in goal against the US team in Boston. The day before I was at the practice and I really wondered if his hands would be ok after being peppered by all these Dutch guys. It was amazing.I noticed that he played more on top of the box than most gosallies. In other words he really kept down the angle.After the practice I had a great discussion with him at the hotel and at that time he indicated his desire to play in N.A.

I am delighted.

Great guy ,very smart and very determined with great skills.

Archived