Men's U-17 off to Mexico

loyola

Men’s U-17 Team

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Canada’s U-17 returns from México camp and Copas Chivas

OTTAWA (ONTARIO) – Canada’s men’s U-17 team has returned to Canada after a camp and tournament in México. The Canadians trained for a week before playing five games in the annual Copas Chivas, a Méxican tournament featuring local teams and international clubs. Twenty Canadians took part in the camp and tournament under head coach Stephen Hart.

Twenty-four teams took part in the 2007 Copas Chivas. Canada was seeded in a group of six clubs with Paranaense, UAG, Cruz Azul, Morelia and U. Catolica. Since the teams were playing five games in just four days, each game consisted of two 35-minute halves.

“The Méxicans, Japanese and Brasilians were all comfortable in possession despite poor pitch conditions, but we struggled and gave the ball away carelessly,” says coach Stephen Hart. “Although we created chances, we seldom forced the goaltender into making a save. We played five games without registering one goal, so offence is definitely an area in which we need to improve.”

On day one, Canada lost 0:1 to Paranaense (a Brasilian club) and 0:2 to UAG (Tekks). Hart says the Canadians played well against Paranaense, saying “considering the age and size of our opponents, it was our boys vs. men and we managed to hold our own in both halves.” Next up, Canada lost 0:1 to Cruz Azul, 0:1 to Morelia, and 0:3 to U. Catolica.

Of course, the Canadian players were one or two years younger than nearly all of the other players in the tournament. The last time Canada entered this competition in 2006, they played with their U-20 team. The tournament was an important step in Canada’s preparations for the FIFA U-17 World Cup qualifications in April. Canada will play in CONCACAF’s five-team Group B Qualification tournament from 28 April to 6 May in Jamaica. The Group includes Jamaica, Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago and the United States. The top three teams in the group will advance to the FIFA U-17 World Cup which takes place in Korea from 18 Aug. to 9 Sep.

Schedule for the U-17 qualifying announced: http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=3715

Group B – Kingston, JAMAICA; National Stadium

28.04.2007: COSTA RICA – TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (16:00)

JAMAICA – CANADA (18:00)

30.04.2007: CANADA – COSTA RICA (16:00)

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO – USA (18:00)

02.05.2007: USA – CANADA (16:00)

JAMAICA – COSTA RICA (18:00)

04.05.2007: CANADA – TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (16:00)

JAMAICA – USA (18:00)

06.05.2007: USA – COSTA RICA (16:00)

JAMAICA – TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (18:00)

Historic win for Young Boyz

Jamaica's Shavor Brown (right) breaks past a Mexican opponent during the team's 2-0 victory on Friday night in their Under-17 firendly at the Harbour View Mini-Stadium.-Ian Allen/Staff Photographer

TRY AND try again until you are successful. This time Jamaica Under-17s were third-time lucky - defeating Mexico 2-0 in their second friendly at the Harbour View Mini-Stadium on Friday night.

It marked the first time a Jamaican football team had defeated world champions as in 2005 Mexico destroyed Brazil 3-0 in the final to lift the FIFA Under-17 World Cup in Peru.

Last year, the young Reggae Boyz lost 2-1 to Mexico in Trinidad and they drew with the visitors 1-1 on Wednesday at Harbour View.

Captain Dever Orgill, who plays for Titchfield High in the daCosta Cup, opened the scoring in the 24th minute.

A moment of hesitation between Mexican goalkeeper Alfredo Medina and a defender allowed Orgill to toe-punch the ball powerfully in the roof of the net.

As play swung from end to end, Jamaica took control and it was not surprising when substitute Akeem Brown doubled Jamaica's lead and effectively killed off the game in the 85th minute.

Brown collected a ball about 30 metres out and fired a scorcher that flew over Medina's head to seal the victory. It was the first time Jamaica could stake claim to really outplaying Mexico in a football match at any level.

Winning coach David Hunt was ecstatic as he raced on to the field to congratulate his players as they huddled in the middle of the pitch.

'This is a great moment. I must dedicate this to Mr. Bora (Milutinovic) who advised us on some defensive strategies. We worked hard at them and it paid off today,' said the silver-haired Hunt smiling from ear to ear. 'Mexico did not get even one chance.'

More possession, chances

'This is the third time we are playing Mexico. The first time in Trinidad we played them close and lost 2-1. You saw the game on Wednesday, we looked at the game and showed them that they did not have more possession of the ball and they did not get more chances than us.

'So we decided that we would hang back and counter them. The players did very well, we got numerous chances. This is a team (Mexico) that knows about gamesmanship and our team stood firm,' noted Hunt.

The young Reggae Boyz used the games as part of their preparations for the final round of CONCACAF qualification for the FIFA Under-17 World Cup tournament that will be held in Kingston between April 21-29.

The group comprises hosts Jamaica, Canada, Costa Rica, Trinidad and Tobago and the United States of which three will advance to the World Cup in South Korea in August.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Under-17 team continued its preparations with a comprehensive 3-0 victory over an All Star Youth Team in the curtain-raiser.

Ellis McCloughin (sixth), Billy Schuler (79th) and Kirk Urso (87th) saw off a young and inexperienced local aggregation with ease.

Howard Walker, Staff Reporter

© Copyright 1997-2007 Gleaner Company Ltd.

• 3 weeks later...

The u 17's haven't won anything since the T & T tournament in 2005. True, the opposition was lacking until Canada got into the semi's and finals that year but something has to give. Stephen Hart has been going with the same core players since after that tournament and the results have been very disappointing to date. His player selection is very weak, going with favorites and not on ability. He was at the Nationals last year along with his band of merry men and I don't think he was there for soccer. Some of his choices were "huh". The team (unfortunately) will do poorly in Jamaica this April due to the fact that Hart was afraid of change and to rock the boat. After last year in T&T for 2006, Hart should of done a major shake up with his favorites and brought in kids with talent. Oh well, we will see what happens come April.

quote:Originally posted by sparky

The u 17's haven't won anything since the T & T tournament in 2005. True, the opposition was lacking until Canada got into the semi's and finals that year but something has to give. Stephen Hart has been going with the same core players since after that tournament and the results have been very disappointing to date. His player selection is very weak, going with favorites and not on ability. He was at the Nationals last year along with his band of merry men and I don't think he was there for soccer. Some of his choices were "huh". The team (unfortunately) will do poorly in Jamaica this April due to the fact that Hart was afraid of change and to rock the boat. After last year in T&T for 2006, Hart should of done a major shake up with his favorites and brought in kids with talent. Oh well, we will see what happens come April.

That's not a very constructive post Sparky. Explain to us who are the talented players ignored by Hart, are they in Europe big clubs?

Interesting Sparky. As I said before on another thread, my good friends son is part of this team. He came in after Ireland where they won 2 of their three games. From all accounts Martinez & Sherrif are out with long term injury (big losses). So who are the player not selected? The last Chivas Cup had new players, are you say Canada has so many good young players. Looking at Dale Mitchel he uses the same core. Where are all these player? I was looking at the Mexico team that played Jamaica in Jamaica (and lost), they used the same core as in Trinidad & they have a much bigger selection base. Please help educate us.

• 1 month later...

I rest my case. They didn't qualify. Is that enough education for you.

Provide names and we'll be talking.

We don't have the luxury to know all the u-17 in Canada, so please, give us names.

You want me to name names.. Whats the point. Its over. All I can say is that over the last 1 1/2 years and I have seen alot of these kids play. Hart has made poor choices and on Sunday it showed. Time to concentrate on the U-20'S.

You want me to name names.. Whats the point. Its over. All I can say is that over the last 1 1/2 years and I have seen alot of these kids play. Hart has made poor choices and on Sunday it showed. Time to concentrate on the U-20'S.

Yeah, what's the point since these players don't exist...

Archived