Men's U-17 off to Mexico

loyola

Men’s U-17 Team

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Canada’s U-17 team arrives in México before Copa Chivas

OTTAWA (ONTARIO) – Canada’s men’s U-17 team has arrived in Guadalajara, México in preparation for the Copa Chivas which begins this Saturday. Canada will play five games in four days in the opening stage of the tournament.

The Canadian team will have one week to train before the tournament starts this weekend. The tournament will provide an important test for this group as they are one of the younger teams in the tournament. The tournament pits local Méxican clubs against a few international teams like Canada, the United States, Paraguay and Japan. The 24 teams are split into four groups with each team playing a round-robin series of five games.

'We will be tested in every game, but we feel that it is important to challenge ourselves in this environment” says head coach Stephen Hart. “In some instances, our team will be two years younger than our competitors.”

The Copas Chivas will be an important step in Canada’s preparations for the FIFA U-17 World Cup qualifications this April. Canada will play in CONCACAF’s five-team Group B Qualification tournament from April 21-29 in Jamaica. The Group includes Jamaica, Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago and the United States. The top three teams in the group will advance to the FIFA U-17 World Cup which takes place in Korea from Aug. 18 to Sep. 9.

NAME Age Hometown Team Pos.

NOM Age Ville natale Équipe Pos.

Julien Latendresse-Lévesque 15 Chambly, QC, Canada NTC/CNE - QC G

Michal Misiewicz 16 Calgary, AB, Canada Torquay United FC G

Colin Parenteau-Michon 16 Montréal, QC, Canada NTC/CNE - QC D

Greg Smith 16 North Vancouver, BC, Canada NTC/CNE - BC D

Erick Leal 16 Whitby, ON, Canada NTC/CNE - ON D

Drew Beckie 16 Regina, SK, Canada Real Colorado D

Adam Straith 16 Victoria, BC, Canada NTC/CNE - BC D

Daniel Tannous 16 Thornhill, ON, Canada NTC/CNE - ON D

Alex Semenets 16 Mississauga, ON, Canada NTC/CNE - ON M

William Hyde 16 Oakville, ON, Canada NTC/CNE - ON M

Antonio Rago 16 Edmonton, AB, Canada NTC/CNE - SK M

Mohamed Sylla 16 Pierrefonds, QC, Canada NTC/CNE - QC M

Jarrett Hamilton 16 Scarborough, ON, Canada NTC/CNE - ON M

Kyle Porter 16 Mississauga, ON, Canada NTC/CNE - ON M

Teal Bunbury 16 Prior Lake, MN, United States Apple Valley Juventus M

Cédric Carrié 16 Brossard, QC, Canada NTC/CNE - QC M

Adrian Peña 16 Woodbridge, ON, Canada NTC/CNE - ON F

Randy Edwini-Bonsu 16 Edmonton, AB, Canada FC Metz F

Marcus Johnstone 16 Edmonton, AB, Canada NTC/CNE - SK F

Mackenzie Pridham 16 Saratoga, CA, United States DeAnza Force SC F

G = Goalkeeper / Gardien. D = Defender / Défenseur. M = Midfielder / Milieu de terrain. F = Forward / Attaquant

NTC/CNE = National Training Centre / Centre national d’entraînement

Jaysus, I knew there was times goin on down there, what with all the smart people movin to Alberta and such.

But I never heard of 16 year olds teaching Grade 10 Math!!!

Adrian Pena is a really skilled player. He's a very talented player similar to a Kaka. He could either play forward or attacking midfield. Just watch out for this guy he will make it big. Also this team really looks bright for the future of Canada. WHen did you ever see so many U-17 players playing abroad.

I hope they get to play some creative football

The difference in age could force the team to play an overly defensive style, more of a damage control game

thus limiting the effectivenemt of participating in this tournamnet where at this point learning how to be cohesive and play total football in all facet of the game is more important than the results.

try to learn to dominate teams instead of always be dominated and see very little of the ball seems to be the norm with most of our squads.

I can't speak Spanish but you can get the jist of the tournament set-up via this link: http://www.copachivas.com/ If anyone can locate an English-language site, please pass it on.

An exceptional opportunity for these young men. Now, can we score some goals against this formidable opposition? As noted, the T&T tournaments were not a good indicator as to what this squad will be facing come April. This group is top-heavy with Ontario-based players, with only a couple from BC this time round excluding a couple of long-term players not listed. Also appears to be some new faces, or at least a few returnees that have missed recent camps/exhibitions. I suppose Hart is still looking at adding depth.

New Players:

Beckie, Hamilton & Pridham

Regular/Notable names not called:

Adam Street (West Ham), Olivier Lacoste Lebuis (Strasbourg), Phillipe Davis (was at Dijon), Chris Sherriffe (injured?), David Hoillet (Blackburn)

Good luck to the boys.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

New Players:

Beckie, Hamilton & Pridham

Regular/Notable names not called:

Adam Street (West Ham), Olivier Lacoste Lebuis (Strasbourg), Phillipe Davis (was at Dijon), Chris Sherriffe (injured?), David Hoillet (Blackburn)

Good luck to the boys.

BC lads not mentioned that have played key roles in the past year: Devin Gunenc, Dalvir Malhi and GK Karem Shergill, who seems to have fallen off the radar. All still playing locally, I believe.

Yes, you are correct Thistle. Devin Gunenc has featured regularly in the last two years, my apologies for omitting him. Shergill played in the Caribbean Cup 2 years ago and Mahli I believe played in the tournament this year.

Is Gunenc playing in the Whitecaps youth system?

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Yes, you are correct Thistle. Devin Gunenc has featured regularly in the last two years, my apologies for omitting him. Shergill played in the Caribbean Cup 2 years ago and Mahli I believe played in the tournament this year.

Is Gunenc playing in the Whitecaps youth system?

No, he isn't. He had been playing in the BC Select Youth League but I believe has joined a men's division 1 team in Vancouver somewhere, perhaps North Shore. As for Malhi, still in the youth system. Shergill was a top-notch 'keeper, but again, appears to have escaped the radar. Anyone have any news? I've seen the lad play and until a short while ago was the starting GK with youth NT squads.

We lost our first game 2-0 U.A.G.

We lost our second game 1-0 to A. Paramaense

We lost our third game 4-0 to U. Catolica

We lost our fourth game 1-0 to Cruz Azul

We have one game left against Morelia.

The USA U-17 are 1 and 3 in this tournament.

We lost our last game 2-0 to Morelia. We finished the tournament with a 0-0-5 record against older competition. The good thing is that we seemed competitive in all our games except one, the negative one: we couldn't score. I guess will see the final result with this group in April when they'll try to qualify for the U-17 WC.

T&T PREPERATION:

U-17 off to Honduras for warm up tour.

By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago’s Under 17 footballers are set to go into an extensive preparation program inclusive of international warm up matches as it gets ready to go into final round CONCACAF qualifying action towards the 2007 FIFA Under 17 World Championship in Korea.

This Sunday, the team of 20 players comprising mostly of members of the outfit which finished third in last year’s CFU Under 16 Championship, heads out to Honduras where it will play three matches including one against that country’s national Under 17 team. This however is not the final squad expected to go into the tournament. Some of the names with past experience making this trip include Daniel Joseph, Leston Paul and prolific goalscorer Stephan Knox, Brenton Balbosa and Robert Primus.

Head coach Anton Corneal will accompany the team which has been in training at home since early December. It was also revealed that the T&T team will play two training matches against Mexico at home in the first week of March before a proposed training camp in the United States. This is all being planned by the TTFF as it continues its preparation phases for national teams.

“I think we have the right games in place before the tournament and the fact that it is being played in Jamaica could also be helpful to us in terms of the conditions. With that said, we are now trying to ensure that we prepare against the right type of opposition to ensure that our chances are just as good as any for qualifying for the World Championship,” Corneal told TTFF Media.

“The Federation is working in different areas because we are talking about our next generation of footballers here. And the coaching personnel has tried to work along with the resources available to ensure that we are not left behind,” Corneal added.

The team will train on Friday at the Ato Boldon Stadium before a full day of protocol and etiquette training at the Dr Joao Havelange Centre of Excellence, Macoya on Saturday prior to its departure to Honduras.

T&T goes into Group B action in the qualifying series from April 28-May 6 in Jamaica, taking on Costa Rica in its first match at the National Stadium on April 28. They then face Jamaica on April 30, United States on May 4 and Canada on May 6. From this group, three top three of the five nations will advance to the World Championship while two teams will advance from the other group being contested in Honduras including the hosts, Mexico, Haiti and El Salvador.

Archived