UMBRO and the USL

Alberto7

I find it bizarre that UMBRO is an owner/sponsor of the USL, yet only one team in Division 1 actually has UMBRO uniforms(Vancouver Whitecaps). I went to the UMBRO web page and looked up their sponsorships: Not a single American team.

For anyone who is interested here is the link to the club sponsorship page:

http://www.umbroplc.com/standard_1.aspx?id=6:1743&id=6:114&id=6:105

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Charleston Battery have signed on with UMBRO:

Charleston-jerseys.jpg

Charleston Battery News Release - www.charlestonbattery.com

Thursday, March 15, 2007

CHARLESTON, SC -- The Charleston Battery has teamed up with Saturn of Charleston for the 2007 & 2008 seasons. Saturn of Charleston will be the Official Jersey Sponsor of the USL First Division Battery and the Saturn logo will be prominently featured on the front and back of each player’s jersey. The partnership includes all four of the Battery’s jerseys; the gold & black home jersey, the red away jersey, the blue goalkeeper jersey and the all white third jersey.

Saturn of Charleston, Director of Marketing & Events, Ken French,

“Saturn of Charleston sees this partnership with the Charleston Battery as a logical extension of our commitment to community involvement through sports and recreation. “Team Saturn” is excited about this opportunity to be involved with another first class organization.”

NEW UMBRO JERSEY

In 2007 the Charleston Battery will wear UMBRO uniforms and UMBRO has custom-designed a new home jersey for the Battery. The 2007 home jersey incorporates the traditional Charleston Battery colors, gold & black vertical stripes with black sleeves.

The jersey features several new components designed to help the players perform better on the field. The Climate Control fabric is designed to wick moisture away from the players and also to remain as light as possible during games.

The Charleston Battery pro soccer team was formed in 1993 and moved to its present home, Blackbaud Stadium in April 1999. In 2007 the Battery celebrates its 15th anniversary and will once again compete in the USL First Division. The Battery’s 2007 home opener is set for Friday, April 20 vs long-time rival the Minnesota Thunder with a spectacular fireworks display immediately following the game.

Saturn of Charleston... Like always, Like never before is located at 8261 Rivers Avenue, North Charleston, SC 29406. Saturn of Charleston can be reached at (843) 820-7800.

2007 Carolina Challenge Cup

The Charleston Battery will host the fourth annual Carolina Challenge Cup March 24 – 31 at Blackbaud Stadium, Daniel Island. This year’s pre-season features the 2006 MLS Cup Champions the Houston Dynamo, MLS’s New York Red Bulls and Toronto FC plus the USL First Division Charleston Battery. Tickets are on sale now priced at $15 – $25; discounts are available for series tickets (includes all 6 games) and for 2007 Charleston Battery season ticket holders.

Charleston Battery Season Tickets

2007 Charleston Battery season ticket packages are on sale now with prices starting at only $120. A limited number of memberships to the Three Lions Club and Battery Club are still available; to purchase season tickets or for more information please call (843) 971-GOAL or visit www.charlestonbattery.com.

• 1 month later...

You want to know what's really sad?

Take a CLOSE look at California's unis.

A reeeeeeeally CLOSE look.

They're wearing second hand cast offs from their parent club, Deportivo Alaves. You can see the DA logo above the Cali logo, and theres a Spanish League crest on the right sleeve.

It was the same thing when they played in Vancouver wearing orange.

YARD SALE!

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

You want to know what's really sad?

Take a CLOSE look at California's unis.

A reeeeeeeally CLOSE look.

They're wearing second hand cast offs from their parent club, Deportivo Alaves. You can see the DA logo above the Cali logo, and theres a Spanish League crest on the right sleeve.

It was the same thing when they played in Vancouver wearing orange.

YARD SALE!

OMG, I never noticed the Spanish League crest. How mickey mouse is that?

Wow, USL will accept just about anyone as long as they have some "connection" to soccer.[V]

Sad, sad, sad.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Soju

Wow that is weak, you would think the league would ban crests from other leagues at least...

I watched the game they played on Wednesday and there were less than 100 people in the stadium. I suppose they really have to cut costs, and castoff uniforms is one way.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

I watched the game they played on Wednesday and there were less than 100 people in the stadium. I suppose they really have to cut costs, and castoff uniforms is one way.

Wow, less than 100? "Official" attendance is listed at 765. Even that is pathetic...

How long will this team last??? I'm taking bets...

Anyone?

Yes, it was less than 100. They seat all of their supporters on one side of the stadium. If you could pause USL live coverage you'd literally be able to count the number of people there in a very short time. I've watched all of their games on USL live and I think the most they have ever had was perhaps 400. Granted, each game seems to have been played in very cold weather as the supporters are all wearing heavy jackets, hats and some have blankets around them, but still those crowds are pretty poor.

I suppose they could last as long as their parent club wants them to. Seems they can't be too concerned, they have already played half of their home games this season and they have only sold one sponsor adboard!

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

OMG, I never noticed the Spanish League crest. How mickey mouse is that?

Wow, USL will accept just about anyone as long as they have some "connection" to soccer.[V]

Sad, sad, sad.

I thought the USL (and to a lesser extent the CSL) was supposed to screen the owners better than this.

Something needs to be done, but what??

Archived