Jump to content

Winnipeg Soccer Complex II takes another hit


Recommended Posts

Don't read the Sun but fellow at work does and told me to keep a heads up. Small articule which touchs on the consiquences of Laureate backing out of the scheme. Facility was going to carry a mortage as a result but apparently, not.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipeg/2007/01/25/3444785-sun.html

Best case scenario is everything gets delayed a year. (Well, not necessarily true. Maybe David Asper has a couple of mil gathering dust somewhere).

Worst case scenario, whole thing gets dropped.

Likely scenario. Scaled back plan get built on-the-cheap way the Hell out in the sticks somewhere. Producing a predictable result, failure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I read today's Winnipeg Free Press section B1 with regards to the proposed Winnipeg Soccer Complex. I quote the following...

"After the Winnipeg Soccer Federation could not find private financing for an indoor soccer complex at the University of Manitoba, council voted to look for new partners to build the $11 million project, which is backed by $6 million in city funds and $1 million in an expected federal-provincial contribution".

I thought that the original private backer backed out, not that it could not find private funding.

Anyways, I am just beggining to wonder, as a soccer fan in the city of Winnipeg, if this thing will actually get built before I grow old. I am not trying to over exaggerate (I apologize if I do), but I am beggining to think that way.

Winnipeg will be left behind bitten by the dust while other Canadian cities (Toronto, Edmonton Vancouver, Montreal) will see our national teams, better access to get professional soccer, etc.

Yea it is great that Winnipeg might get the 2008 Mens World Hockey Championships from Quebec City, but I wouldn't mind us, as a city having a world class soccer facility that would allow us to have a better chance of getting world class soccer. Remember those 2002 WCQ's in 2000 and the 1999 Pan Am Games. The crowds were great, and best of all, practically 99% pro-Canadian. Those were fun times. If only Winnipeg could have that again, that would be great. Untill then, I will just have to dream.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

Remember those 2002 WCQ's in 2000 and the 1999 Pan Am Games. The crowds were great, and best of all, practically 99% pro-Canadian. Those were fun times.

Favourate chant from the Pan-Am games..

"Beer Guy! Beer Guy! Beer Guy!"

Ah, memmories.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

The Fury had solid support throughout the CSL years, soccer at the Pan-Am games was a huge success, and the few international matches held in Winnipeg were well recieved. Yet here we rot in soccer pergutory. There is no end in sight.

On a slightly different topic, guess what I bought on EBay?

The full 1992 season's programs for the Fury, as well as the

original 1987 inaugural program (vs. 86ers) and a playoff program

in 1988 (vs. Calgary Kickers).

So many memories ... a rope, a tree, hang the referee ...

now only on EBay.[}:)]

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I'm curious if any of the old Fury programs have the CSL scoring leaders ?

Sure do! Here's some stats for you:

1988 CSL Regular Season Scoring Leaders:

John Catliff (Vancouver) 22 goals

Dominic Mobilio (Van) 20 goals

Amadeo Gasparini (NY/Hamilton) 18

Jerry Adzic (Ham) 14

Eddy Berdusco (NY) 11

Nick Gilbert (Cal/Tor) 11

Geoff Aunger (WPG) 11

John Rich (Cal) 10

Dallas Moen (Ottawa) 10

Dale Mitchell (Van) 10

Arthur Calixte (Mon)10

Lucio Ianiero (Ham) 9

Alex Bunbury (Ham) 9

Ivor Evans (Van) 9

FYI, players for the Fury that year:

Aunger, Jeff Cambridge, Dave Foley, Mark Shail, Brian Penk,

Neil Wilkinson, Billy Domazetis, Doug Leeies, Tony Nocita,

Paul Clarke, Ken Jenkins, Wade Gibson, Pat Onstad, Tim Rosenfeld,

John Hughes, Salvi Cammarata, Billy Ezzard, Mike Conway

Who was a striker for the Fury the year before? Joe Poplawski

Go figure.;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

The Fury had solid support throughout the CSL years, soccer at the Pan-Am games was a huge success, and the few international matches held in Winnipeg were well recieved. Yet here we rot in soccer pergutory. There is no end in sight.

The Pan Am Games were a minor success. What legacy was left? None. Temporary stands were taken down and the Soccer Complex was left to rot for a few years.

On that note, can anybody think of any facility, in Winnipeg, that is a legacy from the most recent Pan Am Games? I can't think of any.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by redhat

Sure do! Here's some stats for you:

1988 CSL Regular Season Scoring Leaders:

John Catliff (Vancouver) 22 goals

Dominic Mobilio (Van) 20 goals

Amadeo Gasparini (NY/Hamilton) 18

Jerry Adzic (Ham) 14

Eddy Berdusco (NY) 11

Nick Gilbert (Cal/Tor) 11

Geoff Aunger (WPG) 11

John Rich (Cal) 10

Dallas Moen (Ottawa) 10

Dale Mitchell (Van) 10

Arthur Calixte (Mon)10

Lucio Ianiero (Ham) 9

Alex Bunbury (Ham) 9

Ivor Evans (Van) 9

FYI, players for the Fury that year:

Aunger, Jeff Cambridge, Dave Foley, Mark Shail, Brian Penk,

Neil Wilkinson, Billy Domazetis, Doug Leeies, Tony Nocita,

Paul Clarke, Ken Jenkins, Wade Gibson, Pat Onstad, Tim Rosenfeld,

John Hughes, Salvi Cammarata, Billy Ezzard, Mike Conway

Who was a striker for the Fury the year before? Joe Poplawski

Go figure.;)

Sorry to rain on your parade, but a 1 game tryout for Joe Pop does not make him a member of the Fury. In any event, it was a brilliant promotional effort. He even managed to make it in to the team photo on the cover of the first Fury program (I have about 3-4 years of Fury programs hidden in my basement somewhere). Ah, the memories!

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by curtwpg

The Pan Am Games were a minor success. What legacy was left? None. Temporary stands were taken down and the Soccer Complex was left to rot for a few years.

On that note, can anybody think of any facility, in Winnipeg, that is a legacy from the most recent Pan Am Games? I can't think of any.

Have to give that a think, but off the top of my head Eastide Eagles Park. Community level facility that can't realy serve the greater community outside of East Kildonan/Valley Gardens but it's all right for what they paid.

(I've occasionaly mussed on it's potential. Expand the clubhouse, improve the grandstand and upgrade the turf and you've got a decent little facility complete with a fair amount of available parking and floodlights.

Yeah I know, sounds like you may as well start from scratch but the location is already zoned, there's a wee bit of pre-existant parking, floodlights and the facility already a foot-print within the community, boundering nearly zero residencials).

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by curtwpg

The Pan Am Games were a minor success. What legacy was left? None. Temporary stands were taken down and the Soccer Complex was left to rot for a few years.

On that note, can anybody think of any facility, in Winnipeg, that is a legacy from the most recent Pan Am Games? I can't think of any.

Soccer was completely screwed by the Pan-Am games, despite being the major draw for the games.

Baseball scored big, with Can-West Park and some other parks whose names escape me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

John Bloomberg? Got some nice upgrades for softball out there. Real nice. But Geezus, talk about the sticks.

Of course to be fair, they have mowed an acre or two of canola down and nailed some 4x4s together to make some football pitches. No clubhouse, floodlights or anything else though but Hell, it's something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

John Bloomberg? Got some nice upgrades for softball out there. Real nice. But Geezus, talk about the sticks.

Of course to be fair, they have mowed an acre or two of canola down and nailed some 4x4s together to make some football pitches. No clubhouse, floodlights or anything else though but Hell, it's something.

I think they built a first class ballpark in Stonewall......

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by curtwpg

Sorry to rain on your parade, but a 1 game tryout for Joe Pop does not make him a member of the Fury. In any event, it was a brilliant promotional effort. He even managed to make it in to the team photo on the cover of the first Fury program (I have about 3-4 years of Fury programs hidden in my basement somewhere). Ah, the memories!

Yeh, I was just referring to the Fury program. Just another promotional

effort, like Peter Zezel joining the Blizzard. The real truth hurts ...

like the Fury being in last place (in the West, just a wee bit better

than the Rockets in the league). Was having mainly local guys

(other than Nocita and Berti) on the team a plus?

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by redhat

Yeh, I was just referring to the Fury program. Just another promotional

effort, like Peter Zezel joining the Blizzard. The real truth hurts ...

like the Fury being in last place (in the West, just a wee bit better

than the Rockets in the league). Was having mainly local guys

(other than Nocita and Berti) on the team a plus?

Berti? What are you talking about. He was a sub that was rarely used and I do not recall him scoring a goal.

The best local player was Nocita. Also, Mike Conway was very good and did not look out of place at all. Desi Clarke was also excellent but unfortunately was cut due to discipline problems. Paolucci in later years was very good on the wing.

Paul Clarke was OK but not up to the necessary standard. I recall one game against Calgary in season 1 (maroon jerseys and Courtois sent off) where he could have scored a hat trick in the first half from sitters inside the 6 yard box. He did not score at all that game.

Jim Zinko had some decent games but was injured too much to get comfortable at that level.

Other than the guys mentioned none of the other locals fared particularly well in my opinon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by curtwpg

Berti? What are you talking about. He was a sub that was rarely used and I do not recall him scoring a goal.

The best local player was Nocita. Also, Mike Conway was very good and did not look out of place at all. Desi Clarke was also excellent but unfortunately was cut due to discipline problems. Paolucci in later years was very good on the wing.

Paul Clarke was OK but not up to the necessary standard. I recall one game against Calgary in season 1 (maroon jerseys and Courtois sent off) where he could have scored a hat trick in the first half from sitters inside the 6 yard box. He did not score at all that game.

Jim Zinko had some decent games but was injured too much to get comfortable at that level.

Other than the guys mentioned none of the other locals fared particularly well in my opinon.

I would suspect ( I don't have the stats in front of me) that Berti was probably the second all-time goal scorer for the Fury after Geoff Aunger.

There was a year or two where Berti was probably top 5 in league scoring (probably 90-92 ).

Nocita (when he was with the Fury) was our most consistent player.

Agree completely about Conway and Paollucci. In fact, Marcello was developing into one of the best young Canucks in the CSL prior to Winnipeg soccer oblivion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoaa..ghosts from the past.

Yeah, was a pretty steady pipeline of players out of BC with the Fury over the years, and it's hard to argue they were for the most part not superior to the local product. Just the way it was and I think it did cause some resentment in some quarters, in the grandstand and in the locker rooms.

Marcello looked a gem didn't he? Lad could have had a future.

Funny how you can't mention the Fury without Paul Clarke coming up. Thought he did alright overall, had his moments good and bad but yeah, he could make you shake your head sometimes. Right foot a ball from outside the box on a quick turn but do a Pesch and head a floater over the bar from 6 feet out. Go figure.

Desi? Discipline problems? You ****ting me?

Conway stands out but Zinko? Don't remember him at all.

Speaking of maybe not remembering things right but I recall John Berti being super sub one year and scoring a few goals. Could have it wrong but damn, I'd swear it was Berti. Okay, maybe super sub is a tad over the top but you get the idea.

Nocita was solid. Had an absolutely outstanding final season, and an eye-opening playoffs. Even during that horrible 1st half of the '92 season he looked a real footballer. Winnipeg's everthing man in the middle.

Shame that most of players you (well, I) remember best were the "out of towners".

Fun topic. Wish I hadn't spent the '80s so blurry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by curtwpg

Berti? What are you talking about. He was a sub that was rarely used and I do not recall him scoring a goal.

Why such arrogance on your part? I'd suggest you go to your

basement, dig up some of those Fury programs (which I probably have)

and use those stats. Or stay in the basement, whatever[}:)]

My opinion only. (I watched John Berti on many games and even

TSN commented on his skills on TV.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by redhat

Why such arrogance on your part? I'd suggest you go to your

basement, dig up some of those Fury programs (which I probably have)

and use those stats. Or stay in the basement, whatever[}:)]

My opinion only. (I watched John Berti on many games and even

TSN commented on his skills on TV.)

No arrogance, just an opinion. Perhaps he did score a goal or 2. Nonetheless, Berti was nowhere near the best local on the Fury. I would even go so far as to say that Wade Gibson was more effective.

One player who kept getting chances for no reason related to skills was Ed Gesualdo. Eddie wasn't even one of the best players in the men's league. He must have been Cantafio's relative.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...