DeRo Contract Offer

Guest Can. in UK

Guest Can. in UK

From Houston Chronicle:

"The Dynamo have offered starting midfielder Dwayne De Rosario a new contract and a "substantial raise," but De Rosario has yet to agree to it.

Dynamo president Oliver Luck said the team has offered to tear up the Canadian international's current deal for a new one that includes a hefty raise.

De Rosario is entering the third year of a four-year contract and is expected to open training camp Monday. In 2006, De Rosario's pay was listed at around $140,000.

Luck declined to discuss numbers but said the new offer wouldn't put De Rosario's salary above the maximum allowed by the league under the salary cap, putting to rest the possibility that the Dynamo would use their designated-player slot on De Rosario."

If DDR's not worth a designated-player spot yet Landon is then the MLS will have some big questions to answer come opening day of the season. Of course, if guys like DDR settle for a mere pittance then he will be doing nothing for players in his position under the new MLS classification system. As a possible alternative, maybe there needs to be some second tier that established MLS guys like DDR or aging returnees from Europe like Reyna could fit easily to, neither being star power to Beckham's level, yet not exactly lunchpailers either. MLS needs to have a number of guys like DDR and Reyna to keep the league going, and it needs to have them happy. I see disgruntled times ahead under the new set-up if changes arent put into place in the near future.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

If DDR's not worth a designated-player spot yet Landon is then the MLS will have some big questions to answer come opening day of the season. Of course, if guys like DDR settle for a mere pittance then he will be doing nothing for players in his position under the new MLS classification system. As a possible alternative, maybe there needs to be some second tier that established MLS guys like DDR or aging returnees from Europe like Reyna could fit easily to, neither being star power to Beckham's level, yet not exactly lunchpailers either. MLS needs to have a number of guys like DDR and Reyna to keep the league going, and it needs to have them happy. I see disgruntled times ahead under the new set-up if changes arent put into place in the near future.

Well just look at their national team performances. DeRo has been largely invisible for our Nats whereas Landon has the best production of any Yank ever. Hands down. He had a crap MLS season and a crap WC06 in Germany, but he has certainly delivered on other occasions. I am a huge fan of Dwayne, but I can see how Donovan has earned some rep for his past success - before and after WC'02. Dwayne has just really started to nail down his MVP nods the past two seasons.

Guest Jeffery S.

I'm convinced he has a terrible agent. I can't think of any other reason why a player with such an amazing highlight reel, winning championships, basically free, cannot find a strong European side that will pay him at least three times what he is getting now. It really bewilders me.

If any of you are young and have thought about studying law, I think you could do a great favour to Canada by finishing the degree and becoming a player agent, dedicating yourself to finding talent its rightful place in the sun.

Archived