Will Canada ever qualify for a World Cup again?

green_and_gold

Lets face it, the way Canada played in last world cup qualifying campaign was garbage. Losing to the likes of Guatemala and Hondurus is like being beaten by the Solomon Islands or Vanuautu. What needs to be done is we need a good technicle director from overseas i.e. Holland, who will look after the development and strategies of all levels of Canadian national football teams.

Secondly, lets stop calling the sport "soccer". If you want the game to sound more professional and draw more fans call it "football". Other countries who used to call the soccer are now calling it football, just look at Australia now.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by green_and_gold

Lets face it, the way Canada played in last world cup qualifying campaign was garbage. Losing to the likes of Guatemala and Hondurus is like being beaten by the Solomon Islands or Vanuautu. What needs to be done is we need a good technicle director from overseas i.e. Holland, who will look after the development and strategies of all levels of Canadian national football teams.

Secondly, lets stop calling the sport "soccer". If you want the game to sound more professional and draw more fans call it "football". Other countries who used to call the soccer are now calling it football, just look at Australia now.

We need a special 'tard' section for posts like this.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

We need a special 'tard' section for posts like this.

At least I'm prepared to giving ideas on what needs to be done to improve the game in this country. We had one of the easiest qualifying paths for Germany 2006 and we didn't even come close to qualifying. And all you can do is make stupid comments like that?

I just spent a year in Australia and they called it soccer there too. Whenever the Aussies referred to Football, they were talking about Aussie Rules, which is kind of a cross between gaelic football, rugby, and ultimnate fighting challenge.

With a name like green and gold, i assume u have seen them play the combined rules vs the gaelic boys (unless ur a norwich fan that is). Its crazy, quite dirty/vicious, can be exciting.. but certainly NOTHING like our football/soccer.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Seriously guy, we have to work on our welcome for the newbies.... ;)

Maybe but if a Newbie is going to compare Guatemala and Honduras with the Solomon Islands or Vanuautu maybe they should work on their soccer knowledge before posting. Not that I disagree with the sentiment that the last WCQ run was crap but Guatemala and Honduras are still decent sides.

quote:Originally posted by green_and_gold

Well, The term soccer is used in more english speaking countries around the globe than football. As far as I know the term soccer is used in Canada, US, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, most of the carribean. The UK is only place where I am certain that they refer to the game as "Football".

Secondly, we DID NOT have one of the easiest qualifying paths for Germany 2006. We were in to the toughest group of the three in the semifinal stages. However, your point about the whole effort being a dissappointment is valid.

There are various theories about the origins of the word soccer but the one thing they have in common is that the term originated in Britain. One of the two British words for the sport became dominant much later in Britain while the other became dominant in the colonies. The two words are both equally legitimate.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

There are various theories about the origins of the word soccer but the one thing they have in common is that the term originated in Britain. One of the two British words for the sport became dominant much later in Britain while the other became dominant in the colonies. The two words are both equally legitimate.

Yes. I heard something along those lines that: The term soccer was indeed used in Britain. It stuck with the elite or aristocratic types while the term "football" caught on with the working class and since the game became (pretty much) entertainment for the masses or working class, that is how " football" stuck. I remember this comming from Chris ( AKA: Sea the big West Ham supporter) who used to post here and was very much in tune with the english game.

The standard view is that it is a shortening of the term "association football" first used by Charles Wreford-Brown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Wreford-Brown. Here is an alternate theory: http://www.gavinrymill.com/origin-of-the-word-soccer.html. The fact of the matter though is that both were used in England at the time the game became to be organized and standard set of rules was used which was actually not that long ago, roughly 150 years ago. Soccer in its modern form is not really older than American, Irish or Australian football. In many countries rugby was also known as football. Thus, in countries where they already had a game called football the alternate term soccer was used.

The name of this thread: Will Canada ever qualify for a World Cup again?

...12 posts later...

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The standard view is that it is a shortening of the term "association football" first used by Charles Wreford-Brown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Wreford-Brown. Here is an alternate theory: http://www.gavinrymill.com/origin-of-the-word-soccer.html. The fact of the matter though is that both were used in England at the time the game became to be organized and standard set of rules was used which was actually not that long ago, roughly 150 years ago. Soccer in its modern form is not really older than American, Irish or Australian football. In many countries rugby was also known as football. Thus, in countries where they already had a game called football the alternate term soccer was used.

Hilarious[8D] I love this board...

Well when the plan for glory is a) is hire a Dutch coach and B) start calling it football. It makes sense that the etymology of association football is pretty germane.

As much as the Honduras and Guatemala comments are ignorant, I have to agree with loyola that we should be a lot more welcoming than that.

So welcome green and gold> I'm not concerned so much about the nationality of our manager, but his quality. Him being Dutch doesn't make him automatically gifted. I think hiring a manager and getting our COO established and a TD are far more important than symantics like what we call the game. Australia didn't qualify for Germany because they changed the name of the FA. They qualified because they had developed quality players and they hired Guus Hiddink. And even they needed penalties.

We need a manager so we can truly use the Gold Cup as a trial run. Then we can experiment and tinker a little bit in the next 8-12 months, but we need a core established by this coming summer. But I'm afraid we're not learning from our mistakes.

cheers,

matthew

Archived