Florida camp coverage on CBC

Rivaldo

I caught a brief interview with Dale Mitchell on CBC Sports Late Night, last night (Sunday, Jan 21), from the first training camp of the year for Canada's under-20 men's soccer team.

He talked about the camp being an opportunity for players whose teams aren't playing in the winter.

They promised a full report next weekend and mentioned CBC's "wall-to-wall" coverage of the U-20 World Cup this summer.

I wonder if Cherry will be part of the World Cup U-20 coverage. Obviously I am joking but maybe it is not as silly of an idea. It would bring more attention to the sport, help CBC who are just starting to cover soccer get higher ratings. It would be a win-win situation for everyone.

If Canada performs well and with a lot of heart, I am sure we will see at least a Cherry cameo where he says something like the Canadian team has made him change his mind about soccer, he is enjoying the tournament and it is too bad that other teams do not play the game like men like the Canadians do.

Yeah his character is pretty predictable (and repetitive) but he does get an audience. So whatever works. With tough talking airhead Jim Rome doing his best to destroy the reputation of soccer in North America, perhaps Cherry can even things in Canada at least.

quote:Originally posted by puskas

Yeah his character is pretty predictable (and repetitive) but he does get an audience. So whatever works. With tough talking airhead Jim Rome doing his best to destroy the reputation of soccer in North America, perhaps Cherry can even things in Canada at least.

I was listening to Rome's show the day after the Gauchos won the NCAA soccer championship (UCSB's second NCAA championship, after like the 1979 men's Water Polo title) and I thought his head was going to explode. He was trying to figure out how to react when something he loved (the Gauchos - his Alma Mater) won at something he hated (soccer). It was pretty funny.

FWIW, I like Rome. He can be funny, calls a spade a spade, and is consistent. The fact that he doesn't like soccer is neither here nor there for me. It'd be nice if he did, but I don't care that he doesn't.

Yes Cherry is predictable but to be fair to him although he has his biases his love of Canada overrides any of them and he is not totally inflexible in that he will change his mind/opinions if he feels it is warranted (but sticks to his principles in that he won't change his mind due to criticism or public pressure). I think if Canada did have a good tournament and played without the diving/feigning injury so common in the soccer world that Cherry would genuinely become a big supporter of the team. Man, I would love to hear Cherry's opinion on the Hargreaves case before a national audience.

I just think Rome just does not know the game and bashes it to keep his 'I am so cool and tough persona' going. His personality is more consistent with American sports reporters so as a Canadian I may not really appreciate him. But I don't think much of him.

I also think that unlike in Europe, to many North Americans sports should be about toughness first and skill second. That is what soccer is up against here. Obviously there is an element of toughness in soccer however skill tends to be more important.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Man, I would love to hear Cherry's opinion on the Hargreaves case before a national audience.

I don't know what he'd say. What has he said about Brett Hull's decision to play for the USA?

I recall him lambasting Ottawa fans who booed Team USA and Hull in particular at the World Cup of Hockey in '96.

quote:Originally posted by Acid-Tone

are you guys kidding me...... Cherry would probably just say that soccer was only for wussy's and europeans, and that's why canada was no good at it.

Not true. I remember in an interview (I don't know when) that he watched an Old Firm match in Scotland and loved it. He said it would be a great sport if all soccer was like that.

Archived