Sandro Grande

hottoddy7

the very same thought came to my mind when I noticed his name on the Canadians abroad list. I assume he is auditioning for something better for the 07-08 season. I imagine it would be tough to catch on with a first division team in virtually any good Euro league at the halfway point in the season when you lack recent European experience.

Man, if ever there was a candidate for Canadian content on TFC it's Sandro Grande.

He's affordable. He's got the creative offensive skills every MLS club would love to have and he's had enough of a taste of Scandinavia that he might be put him off his European dream if the money was right back in Canada.

Time may not be exactly on his side but he's got more than a couple of years left in him.

Like Grande. If he had another step to his pace he'd be all right but I still think he could be fitted into almost any formation on any MLS team and still be a positive contribution.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Like Grande. If he had another step to his pace he'd be all right but I still think he could be fitted into almost any formation on any MLS team and still be a positive contribution.

Agreed. With the MNT I believed he was our best and most consistent passer out of midfield: he knows when to look for the easy outlet pass to keep possession yet can still hit an accurate searching long ball to the flanks when the opportunity arises. Also has a cracking shot when given the chance (re: the Spain friendly).

Coming home might be a better option at this point of his career

Was discussed a while ago but I can't remember exactly what the educated guestimates where from our Scandinavian sources but that 75K euro mark sounds familiar. Maybe it was a bit higher, but couldn't have been much. But you also have to add the perks, housing, transport and the tax breaks afforded foreign atheletes/artists.

Still, the point is valid. For 100K, TFC could pick up a Canadian player well worth the money. Provided Grande is ready to let the UEFA dream go and return to Canada.

I'd have to say from the little I know of Norweigen football that it's my guess that Grande is much better suited to MLS, both physicaly and tacticaly, than he is to the faster, harder tackling and much more "direct" Norweigen game.

I hope TFC does go after him, as playing 2nd div in Norway does nothing for his

talent and skills. His experience in Serie B could help any MLS team, incl. TFC.

Plus his Italian-Canadian roots would be a marketing asset in Toronto, I would think.

I would agree with you all that Sandro is wasted in the Norwegian 1st division, but Molde are extremely reluctant to let him go. They intend to make their stay as short as possible, and have already lost Petter Rudi and Stian Ohr, two of their best players. They see Sandro as an important part of the team if they are to be promoted.

I believe Sandro has already asked the team to look for a transfer for him, but they refused.

Granded has supposedly agreed a contract with german club Wilhelmshaven currently on 18th position in Regionalliga Nord. He wants to get away from the physical football that Norwegian clubs tend to play. Although a risky move, he hope that he will only have to stay there for a maximum of 6 months before moving to a better club or league. Molde hasn't been contacted by the club yet.

Either the German 3rd Division story is wrong, or Grande needs to get his head examined. If TFC has shown any interest, then that would be a much better option. I understand the desire to stay in Europe once you're there, and the hope of being spotted by a top team, but the German 3rd Division is atleast one too low. Any top division team in Norway/Sweden/Denmark would be better. This really is a step down.

He should either find a solid team in a European nation's top league, even a small one, and therefore have a shot at atleast some CL/UEFA Cup, or he should give Mo Johnston a call and work something out. He would help to fill a gap in the TFC squad that Mo has probably been trying to remedy all this month, but without any success so far.

He's quoted as saying the physical style in Norway does not suit him, and that he's worried that as one of the big teams in the 1st division, the other teams will be out to get them, and he'll be subject to lots of tough tackles as rough play.

Granted, the style Molde play does not suit him perfectly, but to want to get away from a team because you're afraid to get tackled. C'mon! He also complains about the amount of running he has to do without the ball at his feet, and that he's not getting enough touches. Besides, Molde have a new coach - it would be worth his while to stay and see if they develop a new style of play, more suited to his skills.

The article claims that it is Sandro who has made the contact with Wilhelmshaven, and is now hoping the clubs will agree before the transfer window expires.

I think he's lost his mind.

http://fotball.fvn.no/forstediv/article73819.ece

Besides the fact he seems to have no idea how physical the German third division is, Wilhelmshaven has no chance at promotion this year and will be lucky to avoid relegation. If he wanted to sign for a third division team he should at least pick a large club that is playing below where it should be in the system that has 2nd and also 1st BL aspirations and a good chance to promote like Dynamo Dresden, St. Pauli or Fortuna Dusseldorf. Wilhelmshaven is rightfully a 3rd/4th division team with a small crappy stadium in a city of less than 100 000 people.

I don't know what your definition of a nice stadium is but about 80% of the stadium is old cement terraces, reminds me a lot of the old Communist era eastern European stadiums even though it is in West Germany. I don't necessarily dislike this type of stadium as the atmosphere is often better than in the modern comfortable stadiums but I wouldn't call such a stadium nice. It holds only 7500 and of that 5300 are standing places. The corporate seating is indeed nice but that is only 255 seats. Regardless of what you think of the stadium it is clearly not a stadium that meets 2nd Bundesliga requirements for either capacity or for spectator facilities. It is even one of the poorer stadiums in the 3rd division. Wilhelmshaven is a club that has never played higher than the 3rd division and is often in the 4th division and thus a poor choice for a transfer. A 3rd division player would probably earn in the $40000 to $120 000 CDN range though there might be the odd player earning more if a club sponsor was willing to pay for his salary. The players on teams with 2nd BL aspirations are paid better than those like Wilhelmshaven who are just trying to avoid relegation.

Grande did not sign with Wilhelmshaven though Riley O'Neil did sign with them. There may have been truth to the rumour though as Wilhelmshaven signed 9 new players some of whom were prominent like a former Polish international who was playing with Wisla Krakow.

3rd division teams are desperate not to relegate this year because next year the German pyramid is going to change and there will only be one nation-wide 3rd division instead of two regional 3rd divisions. This will be much better in my opinion but the downside is that there will be no promotion from the 4th division next year so 3rd division teams who get demoted this year will have to play in the 4th division for at least two years.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Grande did not sign with Wilhelmshaven though Riley O'Neil did sign with them. There may have been truth to the rumour though as Wilhelmshaven signed 9 new players some of whom were prominent like a former Polish international who was playing with Wisla Krakow.

3rd division teams are desperate not to relegate this year because next year the German pyramid is going to change and there will only be one nation-wide 3rd division instead of two regional 3rd divisions. This will be much better in my opinion but the downside is that there will be no promotion from the 4th division next year so 3rd division teams who get demoted this year will have to play in the 4th division for at least two years.

I recall a discussion on this earlier in the year. How many teams will be in the 3rd Division next year? will it be a giant 36 team league or will it be smaller?

The whole reform topic is pretty confusing because they keep arguing about how it should be done and changing their mind. From what I understand at the moment, I think next year the regionalliga will still have 2 divisions and the top 9 of each division will qualify for the single 3rd division in 2008 while the bottom 9 teams will be relegated to the 4th. The two teams relegated from the 2nd BL will make the 3rd division into 20 teams of which a maximum of 4 reserve teams will be permitted. There will be no promotion into the 3rd division from the 4th in that year. Thus, it is very important for teams to be in the 3rd division next year to have a chance to stay at that level. For example, my team is in the 4th and are really trying to promote this year because if they don't they won't be able to promote for 2 years. The 4th division will then be called the Regionalligen and will consist of three regional divisions.

Archived