Mother Of All Canadians Abroad - December 2007

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I'm pretty sure Mark Watson has retired...

Watson is now assistant coach at Battery, but seems he is not playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Justin Thompson is close to leaving Worcester City for the Portland Timbers. However, the deal isn't official as they need to get international clearance before the deadline. If he does go to Portland for the summer, there is a chance he could return to Worcester.

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/display.var.1319241.0..php

quote:Originally posted by some amateur web designer/layout guy

JUSTIN Thompson could have played his last game for Wor-cester City.

The Canadian defender has signed a deal to play full-time football for the Portland Tim-bers in the United Soccer Lea-gue, North America's second tier, over the summer. But the Oregon club may have to secure international clearance for Thompson before the lea-gue's Sunday transfer deadline, which would make him ineligible to face Worksop Town on Saturday.

Some-one needs to le-arn how to use hy-phens prop-erly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.

Jeff MacLean is now the player/manager at Barry Town in the Welsh Premier League. Apparently he spent the last three years in Spain. I seem to recall his name as a Canadian abroad a few years back when he was in Wales, and maybe Bath City. Barry have been relegated to the second division next season.

"Former Bolton Wanderers and Queen of the South professional Jeff MacLean is in charge of the Barry team until the end of the season.

Canadian MacLean, in his second spell playing for Barry, took over following the departure of Gavin Price."

Checked and he was at Jávea, a team in what is fifth tier (Regional Preferente, Comunidad Valencia, Group 4) playing in the province of Alicante in the Valencia region. Seems the team manager was a Brit so I suspect he was brought down, and likely he did youth coaching or some other job as there are no decent salaries at that level.

The team is just out of the relegation zone in their division.

Pretty good quality of life down there though.

hey guys, I've been writing Toronto FC articles for an MLS website and I had the idea of coming up with a Canadians Abroad feature. I'm not getting paid for it and I'm writing it for the experience/exposure, plus I'm interested in having all of this information compiled in a single place, especially on an MLS website frequented by fans. For the past 2 weeks I've been doing research through the internet, soccernet.com and sportinglife.co.uk match reports mostly, keeping track of our boys. For now I haven't been using MLS/USL information because there's enough European news, but in the summer the weekly article will start to encompass US games.

If you folks don't mind I'll use the information provided here and give you guys credit, including a section at the end of each article like "thanks to spotters:" whoever has posted here with information. Basically I see it as a way to have the most up to date news in a single place. If people would rather I not use the info you've researched, thats obviously fine and I won't visit this thread before writing my article.

Here's the article from the past weekend:

Link

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Scott Ferguson

hey guys, I've been writing Toronto FC articles for an MLS website and I had the idea of coming up with a Canadians Abroad feature. I'm not getting paid for it and I'm writing it for the experience/exposure, plus I'm interested in having all of this information compiled in a single place, especially on an MLS website frequented by fans. For the past 2 weeks I've been doing research through the internet, soccernet.com and sportinglife.co.uk match reports mostly, keeping track of our boys. For now I haven't been using MLS/USL information because there's enough European news, but in the summer the weekly article will start to encompass US games.

If you folks don't mind I'll use the information provided here and give you guys credit, including a section at the end of each article like "thanks to spotters:" whoever has posted here with information. Basically I see it as a way to have the most up to date news in a single place. If people would rather I not use the info you've researched, thats obviously fine and I won't visit this thread before writing my article.

Here's the article from the past weekend:

http://www.americansoccernews.net/mls/toronto/over_there/canada_overthere_index.shtml

Hi Scott. That is useful. There are a few errors there, think you confused Josh Simpson at Kaiserslautern with Dave in the Czech Republic.

I personally think such reports work best when you start with the highest divisions in the highest leagues and work down, as that way you put the most important players and strongest competitions as the priority news bits. Just an opinion.

I think that you don't really have to credit Voyageurs for getting the info from our board, and even less so the individuals who dig up certain information. But if there was an occasional link that would be okay.

Thanks Jeffrey, you're still living and working in Barca I take it? Good to see more holdouts from the old Voyageurs board like you and Sigma.

I didn't realize there were two Simpsons kicking about. You're probably right about the format, this last week I tried experimenting with a chronological sort of style (Friday first, then Sat., then Sun.) but it ended up looking sort of disjointed and clunky. This weekend's article should be up by Monday morning.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Sweden

Tyler Hughes - Östers (Swedish Allsvenskan) (1)

Tyler Rosenlund - Atvidabergs FF (Swedish Allsvenskan) (1)

Aren't both these teams in the Superettan (second division) this season?[?]

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by DC76

Aren't both these teams in the Superettan (second division) this season?[?]

That is right, both are Superettan (2nd division).

quote:Brazil

Selvin Lammie - Gremio (Brazilian Serie A) (1) Youth

Lammie is no longer a Canadian abroad. Recently he was with Toronto FC, now he's with the North York Astros.

A few years ago there was a list for Canadian NCAA players, but it was quite time consuming and I don't think it lasted more then one year.

Yeah, that's it. It was not a matter of the NCAA players not belonging on the MOACA list, it was a matter of there being far too many to keep track of and far too few people interested enough in the NCAA to do so.

I think the PDL and NCAA both belong on the list. If it is too time consuming to include them then that's one thing, but I don't think they should be omitted just because of what they are/aren't.

Personally, I struggle with the idea of the USA being "abroad" at all. I always envisioned crossing an ocean or, at very least, a sea to be abroad.

Regardless, I'd like to draw the line at (semi) professional clubs. I'm tempted to apply this standard to the English pyramid as well, particularly as B&W Army is now home and Marty Rose voluntarily took his name off the list.

I guess an important question is whether the PDL will be the top level for the MLS academies, once this structure is in place? Chicago Fire is the only club affiliation I recognise...

Archived