Canadian money

Chuck

Maybe this guy could help our national team!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=400304&cc=5901

Canadian launches Marseille takeover bid

PARIS, Jan 17 (Reuters) - Canadian businessman Jack Kachkar said on Wednesday he had offered about 115 millions euros ($148.6 million) to buy Ligue 1 club Olympique Marseille and was confident his bid would be accepted.

Marseille said the selling process, which is expected to last several weeks, started after Kachkar delivered financial guarantees to main shareholder Robert Louis-Dreyfus.

'It will be around 115 million euros,' Kachkar told French sports daily L'Equipe. 'We have made our study and offered a price which we judge appropriate. I think everybody is happy.'

Marseille, the most prestigious French club, won the European Cup in 1993 and have lifted eight league titles. They were stripped of the French championship in 1993 because of a bribery scandal.

The southerners lie third in the Ligue 1 standings, 17 points behind leaders Olympique Lyon.

'Marseille are a great club with an enormous potential and amazing supporters,' said Kachkar, adding that he had targeted Marseille rather than a top English Premier League club because it was cheaper.

'You know, Manchester United, that's a billion dollars, that's too much for me,' he said.

Kachkar said he had met England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson last month but had not offered him a job as Marseille coach.

'I was very impressed by what he said but I have not formally contacted him,' Kachkar said. 'I have also talked to other coaches.'

Louis-Dreyfus took over Marseille for the symbolic sum of one franc 10 years ago but has since put about 170 million euros of his personal wealth into the club.

He said he wanted to sell his shares after he received last June a three-year suspended sentence for his involvement in a fraud scandal involving player transfers in the late 1990s. He was also fined 375,000 euros.

quote:Originally posted by fan

Just one example of a lot of wealthy Canadian soccer fans who would not touch the CSA or anything Canadian because of the incompetence and avarice of the CSA.

Or, you know, there's no money to be made in Candian soccer...

Alex

Just one example of a lot of wealthy Canadian soccer fans who would not touch the CSA or anything Canadian because of the incompetence and avarice of the CSA.

And you know for a fact that is his reason for chosing Marseilles over the CSA, can you give us any evidence to support this?

Yeah, let's see, what's more impressive when billionaires get together and, do whatever billionaires do. "I just purchased FC Flin Flon" or "I just purchased Marseille"? Hmm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kachkar

It's on wiki so it must be true. He's Armenian, born in Syria, went to the University of Alberta, then got a medical degree in Hungary and now his company http://www.inyxgroup.com/ is based in New York.

Yup, 100% Canuck eh!

Having said that, he could live in Canada or whatever. Frankly who cares that he's "Canadian". This idea that it's either Marseille or Flin Flon is ridiculous.

I guess one thing that I was inferring was that he might have a slight preference for a promising young Canadian kid in the future and give him a chance at his big club. The French league does "spit out" good young players to the richer leagues. Obviously "money talks and bullsh!t walks", but you never know!

quote:Richard Posted - 01/18/2007 : 17:59:03

And you know for a fact that is his reason for chosing Marseilles over the CSA, can you give us any evidence to support this?

The evidence is self evident. He didnt choose Canada. What would be even more interesting is to find out if he even looked at Canada.Would be interested to hear his response if asked.

First in Canadian businessman Jack Kachkar's case I dont know him or why but there certainly isnt anything in Canada on Olympique Marseille scale. So he might of been only interested on that level.

There are quite a few wealthy Canadian soccer fans who have not invested a dime towards the CSA or Canadian soccer.

After the MLSE demonstrate how it should be done more wealthy Canadian soccer fans will join with them and build the sport to the level it deserves.

The real answer is that these guys are artifacts from the early british core that took over this sport and ran it for the last 20 to thirty years. And I thank them for their initial work and dedication but they outlived their abilities and competency 20 years ago.

The people who run the CSA just dont have the skills to handle this organization as it is never mind what it could become and as the immediate days go by they become increasingly exposed.

You wrote, "a lot of wealthy Canadian soccer fans who would not touch the CSA or anything Canadian because of the incompetence and avarice of the CSA."

This was related to Jack Kachkar's bid for Marseille which is the topic of the thread. I asked if you had any evidence to support your assertion that this was the reason Kachkar chose to invest in Marseille rathe than a canadian property? There is nothing at all self evident about this other than your own prejudices. Without something to support your assertion all you're doing is blowing wind, again.

As much as I have no use for the CSA and don't have any problem with people slamming them, I really don't see how this story of a "Canadian" buying Marseille has anything to do with the CSA or Canadian soccer in general. Billionaires, by and large, aren't going to just show up here and start throwing money around when there isn't anything of substance currently to buy in Canada. We have three "true" pro teams in this country and they don't even play in the same league.

Once 2010 rolls around and new stadiums are hopefully built in Montreal and Vancouver, we will hopefully have our 3 pro teams all playing in the MLS and then we will have a more solid foundation for Canadian professional soccer to grow from. Only then might you see some rich Canadians (or non-Canadians) start to invest in growing the game more in this country.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

As much as I have no use for the CSA and don't have any problem with people slamming them,

Thats fine and I agree 100% as long as you do it from the perspective of a soccer supporter and for the good of the game rather than some personal agenda .... I agree with the points that you have raised on this topic. But Its shows that you haven't been on this forum for long. There is more to this than what you may percieve on this thread. Its one things to hold them acountable, but you cant blame the CSA because its raining today.

The poster in question (ie.: "fan') writes the same things on and on in what is obviously an attempt to propagate a general sentiment to suite some personal agenta, resentment, vendetta etc. He or she just looks for an opportunity to slam the CSA then piles in. Never gets into specifics but occasionally rehashes other views on this matter even if there is a lack a consistancy. For example, its one thing to use adjectives like "Avarice", "selfish", "overly egotistical" or say that the CSA "dont have the skills....." or " are incompetant" but, about one in while telling us what skills they should have or what competentzis are needed. And be consistent with some well thought out insight that pertinent, and not taken from others. That clearly demonstates a personal agenda and I have no use for that kind of stuff on a forum like this.

Just go over on the womens soccer section and see what he has to say regarding the dispute between Kerfoot, the womens program and the dispute with Hooper. Who in their right mind, who wants what is best for soccer, would be critical of Kerfoot or any private investment into the game. But he does, for no other reason he saw an opening to criticize the CSA and piled in nevermind, whats best for the game. I have long observed , that those that appear to be the harshest critics of the national bodies seldom demonstrate that they are fans, actually care or know anything about the game in Canada from a marco standpoint. Its one thing to be critic but you have to back it up and the poster never backs it up. I have in the past suggested that, if it were up to me, I would have barred the poster.

trust me FreeKick, I don't blame the CSA for poor weather or my car not starting and I definitely don't have an "agenda". In some ways, my post was a backhanded defense of them because I don't see how they can be blamed for some rich guy buying into a Ligue 1 team. Nonetheless, The CSA is a poorly run "organization" (I put it in parenthesis because they would have to be organized to be truly an organization) and they do a disservice to elite soccer players in this country, both Young and Old. However, I highly doubt I am the only one that feels this way.

He didnt choose Canada that is evidence he didnt choose Canada.Thus it is "self evident".

The cow is a cow.What day is it Richard? What does the acronym CSA stand for Richard? Blowing in the wind is what you do when you say so much and supply nothing but vacuous air.However enjoy yourself your good at it.

Free kick

quote:Who in their right mind, who wants what is best for soccer, would be critical of Kerfoot or any private investment into the game.

You are exposing your obvious bias with this ridiculous statement.

That is the whole point to criticize whomever whenever they appear to have done something greivous.He Kerfoot is involved is accused and must answer. If he proves total innocence fine same thing with Pellerud but I have not heard a word from either one.And the fact that you conclude we are so desperate now because of the CSA past incompetence

quote:Who in their right mind
any fan would be insane to question any investment exposes the current depressing state of mind of the Canadian soccer fan.

Free kick

quote:I have in the past suggested that, if it were up to me, I would have barred the poster.

At least have the courage to stand on your own two feet and oppose people openly and freely without the juvenile retort. What you accuse me of you reek of in bias and personal agenda.I dont ask you to be barred because I comprehend the situation and accept there will be others who totally disagree with me and I have the strength to comprehend I might be wrong.

VPjr

quote:Billionaires, by and large, aren't going to just show up here and start throwing money around when there isn't anything of substance currently to buy in Canada. We have three "true" pro teams in this country and they don't even play in the same league.

Well that is my point VPjr when I said

quote:First in Canadian businessman Jack Kachkar's case I dont know him or why but there certainly isnt anything in Canada on Olympique Marseille scale. So he might of been only interested on that level.

But it is another example of a wealthy Canadian soccer fan not investing in Canadian soccer. I would be interested to hear whether its just because of scale or he doesnt want to invest.

I have a personal agenda, I want to see Canadian soccer prosper and everyone involved enjoy and prosper in our great sport and to ensure others dont restrict the opportunity for all Canadain soccer fans to do so.

What I saw and read of the Hooper fiasco certainly represents cause to question Kerfoot the CSA and Pelleruds actions.If you dont choose to agree with the reports fine but I will wait for a response before I make a final conclusion however if they never respond I would conclude negatively against these people.

He didnt choose Canada that is evidence he didnt choose

At least have the courage to stand on your own two feet and oppose people openly and freely without the juvenile retort. What you accuse me of you reek of in bias and personal agenda.I dont ask you to be barred because I comprehend the situation and accept there will be others who totally disagree with me and I have the strength to comprehend I might be wrong.

VPjr

Well that is my point VPjr when I said

But it is another example of a wealthy Canadian soccer fan not investing in Canadian soccer. I would be interested to hear whether its just because of scale or he doesnt want to invest.

I have a personal agenda, I want to see Canadian soccer prosper and everyone involved enjoy and prosper in our great sport and to ensure others dont restrict the opportunity for all Canadain soccer fans to do so.

What I saw and read of the Hooper fiasco certainly represents cause to question Kerfoot the CSA and Pelleruds actions.If you dont choose to agree with the reports fine but I will wait for a response before I make a final conclusion however if they never respond I would conclude negatively against these people.

This is a soccer forum. People who come here, come to discuss things relating to soccer such as players, teams, player selection, tactics, coaching and what happens on the field. Occasionally, yes, the national body has an impact these things therefore it is fair game. But this is primarily a soccer forum. I find it hard to believe that someone who is really interested in the game from a macro perspective ( as most of us are) or even at a micro level can possibly have nothing to contribute other than to criticise the CSA with every single one of their posts.

Secondly what I find most annoying is your usage of adjective ( eg.: selfish, egotistical, incompetant, arrogant). The only possible reason for this is to fill posting with words in the absence of concrete argument because you are unable to formulate views that carry any weight. I or anybody else could less about your subjective views of on anybody in the CSA. Thats mean absolutely nothing me. What most people care about is results, performance, news etc.

Lastly, the CSA is but one of the many adminstrative bodies for the game in canada. Funny how you dont seem to have anything negative to say about any of the provincial, regional or local bodies. Or for that matter Concacaf or FIFA. Nope, with you its only CSA that you want to rip. But in fact, they are all the same, The national body is nothing more than an extension of the local and provincial bodies. If there are problems, which I dont deny, then how come you never have anything to criticise other than the CSA? I would have absolutely no problem (even appreciative) if you were more broad in your assesment of the soccer administration every once in while because otherwise I can only assume that there is personal vedetta or obsession.

I, for the most part, agree with the stance that the CSA took in regards to the three players and, clearly, a private investors decision to invest in an oveseas club has little to nothing to do with the CSA. But I am not going to discuss it or elaborate any further with you because it would be totally pointless and a waste of time.

Archived