CSL- Trois Rivières Attak

MM2

CSL/For Immediate Release

New CSL team named Trois-Rivieres Attak

TROIS-RIVIERES - Wednesday, January 17 - The new Quebec entry in the Canadian Soccer League, the Montreal Impact's reserve team, will be named the Trois-Rivieres Attak.

Club president Tony Iannitto and Stéphane Chiarello, the director of operations, unveiled the new team's name and logo at a press conference here today, and also announced that Marc Dos Santos will be the club's head coach. Montreal Impact president Joey Saputo and head coach Nick De Santis were on hand at the press conference.

"It's a great day for soccer in Trois-Rivieres because the team finally has an identity," said Tony Iannitto. "We are very pleased that Marc has accepted to coach the team. He has all leadership qualities we are looking for as well as the know-how to develop our future stars."

Dos Santos, 29, has Provincial B and UEFA licenses. He was previously head coach of the Lac St.Louis Lakers senior team, which is currently in the first division of the Quebec Elite Soccer League (LSEQ).

The Canadian Soccer League presently has 12 teams in Ontario and Quebec with plans for further expansion to other parts Canada on a regional basis. The CSL operated two divisions in 2006 – a National Conference of teams in seven communities and five Toronto teams in the league’s International Conference.

The 2007 season will kickoff mid-May.

Please refer: Stan Adamson

Canadian Soccer League Inc.,

The Soccer Centre, 7601 Martin Grove Road, Vaughan, Ontario L4L 9E4

Tel: 905 856-5439 Fax: 905 856-9325 e-mail: csl@canadiansoccerleague.ca www.canadiansoccerleague.ca

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Why does a reserve team need a different name?

At least they stayed true to the Impact's tradition of having a generic stupid and meaningless name. Attak, how original. With the demotion of the Lynx the Impact now become the only pro soccer team in Canada with a crappy name.

Some countries (Greece comes to mind) have lower division clubs that act as reserve teams. The lower division club retains their own identity, but for all intent and purpose, is a reserve team.

I agree with Grizzly regarding the club name. With Quebec's rich history, why such generic, crap club names ?

I wonder if the Impact are serious about the CSL or if they are just going to move this team to USL D2 or even worse the PDL next season?

If they were serious about the CSL, and helping to set-up a Quebec division, it would make much more sense to keep their reserve team in the Montreal area. My point is if there is a 5-6 team Quebec division, you would have to have 1-2 teams in the Montreal area.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

I wonder if the Impact are serious about the CSL or if they are just going to move this team to USL D2 or even worse the PDL next season?

If they were serious about the CSL, and helping to set-up a Quebec division, it would make much more sense to keep their reserve team in the Montreal area. My point is if there is a 5-6 team Quebec division, you would have to have 1-2 teams in the Montreal area.

I think Montreal is very serious about the CSL and about promoting soccer across the province of Quebec. PDL makes no sense for a Montreal reserve or farm team and USL-D2 is much more expensive then CSL

Archived