Caps rank third in youth and women

Guest Jeffery S.

The Whitecaps seem to be doing a good job of establishing a good club structure. Being number three in the world is a great feather in the cap of the club if you ask me.

It's unfair to put the men up against the rest of the world, but where would they sit in North America? Or better yet, do the Whitecaps outrank any MLS clubs? I'd say yes, but I'm still learning MLS, so I'm not sure which one(s).

• 3 weeks later...

club structure wise, they would rank #1 in north america

and you think real salt lake is the only mls side we're better than?

Sunderland 0 - 3 Whitecaps FC

Cardiff City FC 3 - 3 Whitecaps FC (Caps win on penalties)

each of these teams won every other game thay played in north america

i think every gives the mls way too much credit, the whitecaps are a very good team. they could go head to head with any team in the MLS and preform well

quote:Originally posted by RJB

The Whitecaps seem to be doing a good job of establishing a good club structure. Being number three in the world is a great feather in the cap of the club if you ask me.

I agree with you but they seem to be dismantling their youth system as you can see from the deck below.

http://www.bcsoccer.net/bcsa/Portals/0/Member/ClubPresentation.pdf

quote:

I agree with you but they seem to be dismantling their youth system as you can see from the deck below.

There are a number of aspects of the hasty "agreement" between BCSA and Whitecaps that are disappointing.

Whitecaps is getting out of the youth academy business. The suggestion that they weren't getting the "very best" 8-15 year olds looks like an excuse.

Whitecaps are now out of Y league.

BCSA has abandoned the IPL (intraprovincial league) at the same time as throwing in its lot with a Y league "expansion" of 3 more teams in the "Pacific Northwest" (probably 4 from greater vancouver instead of 1). This is supposed to mean 7 BC teams playing in an american league with 2 or 3 teams from the US.

Can the District Developmnet Centres actually cope with the logistics of this?

Wake up people, we are talking international travel every weekend, organized by a bunch of professional soccer coaches. I predict they will find themselves behind this [8]

Where's the leadership on this? Wasn't this supposed to be the BCSA?

The tier below the provincial team- shouldn't this be a British Columbia spring and summer youth league?

BCSA has thrown in the towel on IPL in favour of expanding into an american league.

And the Whitecaps have pretty much abandoned support for youth soccer.

Their big plan now is to hope they can pick up the very best kids at U17 to feed into their adult teams.

Big mistake.

quote:Originally posted by I Caramba

There are a number of aspects of the hasty "agreement" between BCSA and Whitecaps that are disappointing.

Whitecaps is getting out of the youth academy business. The suggestion that they weren't getting the "very best" 8-15 year olds looks like an excuse.

Whitecaps are now out of Y league.

I would really like to know the reason for this change. Has BCSA pressured them because BCSA has been presssured by TSS, Roman Tulis, and the NorthShore Development Centre, etc? TSS has started litigation about BCSA because of its ties to the Caps youth system. The Caps academy has attracted lots of dues paying kids who would go to other academies if the Caps didn't exist.

The 4 SuperY league teams will get destroyed in the Y League. The talent will be diluted too much to compete against the good US teams.

My son is in the Caps academy, but we haven't been told when the Academy will end. My son liked being part of the Caps academy because he idolizes the Caps players, and he can watch them play. He won't be happy going back to TSS, or some other academy. Thats not to say the other private schools have poor instruction, rather its a reflection of the factors which motivate kids.

3 Years ago I attended a press conference at the BC Place Sports Hall of Fame put on by the BCSA and the Whitecaps and I listended to Victor Montagliani, Bob Lenarduzzi and Derek Possee tells everyone how they had worked out a great scheme to develop elite soccer players in BC, with their pyramid and the Super YLeague team and the IPL etc. Now they have changed it. Does that mean they were wrong 3 years ago, or are they wrong now? Should I believe them now?

Guest Jeffery S.

Interesting take on things analyst, appreciate that perspective.

In some ways the Caps are right, if they can't blatantly raid the other academies with the bait of a pro future to improve their side and make it more competitive what is the point? It is a cynical p-o-v but probably a realistic one.

I am inclined to agree that this plan was arrived at after pressure from the other academies and schools in the Lower Mainland. I have no facts on which to base this opinion as yet but I certainly did sense there was a great deal of resentment in some quarters over the 'special cozy' arrangement between the BCSA and the Whitecaps youth organisation. I think it is unfortunate because the kids who got to play on their Whitecaps teams were certainly very proud and motivated. This will result in there being a lot of very disappointed and disillusioned kids because representing the other academies and schools simply will not have the cachet that playing for the Whitecaps carries.

For every kid that made a team and was very proud and motivated, there were 40 other kids who were very disappointed. Whitecaps were shooting themselves in the foot with the academies in terms of generating fans/supporters. This point was made to the powers that be awhile ago by someone who is very well respected in the soccer community. It seems they finally took the advice.

Guest Jeffery S.

In the end I think the move is terrible, as who cares what the academies think? I mean, isn't this all about having a competitive structure for kids who aspire to more? Now that structure is weaker to appease the academies, when in every damn city in the world where the local pro club has youth academies the exact same thing happens: closer ties to official organs, raiding of other clubs, imbalance between prestige of one and of the other, jealousy and complaining of the other clubs who can't compete.

I think Caps abandoning youth is bad for our development as it lowers the level of competition, and is a bow in favour of the lower common denominator.

quote:Originally posted by Regs

For every kid that made a team and was very proud and motivated, there were 40 other kids who were very disappointed. Whitecaps were shooting themselves in the foot with the academies in terms of generating fans/supporters. This point was made to the powers that be awhile ago by someone who is very well respected in the soccer community. It seems they finally took the advice.

Regs, no doubt there were some kids who were disappointed if they tried out and weren't selected. But how many kids are in that boat and has it affected attendance at Whitecaps games. Attendance has increased every year for the last 3 years, so its not a valid argument.

To be clear, the Whitecaps will keep their U9 to U12 academy, but they are getting rid of it from U13 and up, and they won't have SuperY league teams. From now on, the Caps will have to tell the kids that because they are 12 years old they are no longer accepted in the Whitecaps organization. That will piss off a lot of kids and their parents.

Archived