McKenna to Toronto FC?

thepatriot

Johnston said he is very close to signing an International who is captain of his club team in Europe. Any ideas??? I know that Kevin McKenna is captain of Energie Cottbus in Germany. Maybe he's not talking about a Canadian. Even though they have said they are not going to use the "Beckham Rule" this season, maybe they are.....

However mckenna is primarily a defender. Mo has hinted that the mystery player is an attacking MF. But if you don't use the "beckham rule" then what kind of player would fit the bill of national team and club team captain?

I don't know why they do not want to use the Beckham rule. They could use the talent, and have sold alot of season tickets to justify the expense. Perhaps there is some edict from the MLS head office. Its not uncommon that expansion teams get the gears from the league when they start off.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I don't know why they do not want to use the Beckham rule. They could use the talent, and have sold alot of season tickets to justify the expense. Perhaps there is some edict from the head office. Its not uncommon that expansion teams get the gears from the league when they start off.

Well they certainly don't need to use the Beckham rule to sell tickets at this stage.

In terms of whether they need the talent, I guess it will depend on how many other Beckham rule signings there are.....

McKenna has a contract with Cottbus until 2010. Since he is their captain they certainly would not let him go cheaply. His wife is also from Cottbus so it is a second home for him and one of the reasons he signed with them in the first place. Unless he really misses Canada, I can't see any reason he would switch from the 1st Bundesliga to MLS.

I think the fact they sold 10,000 season tix already is a big reason why they won't use the Beckham rule this year. They don't need to absorb that kind of expense when they have already generated a ton of buzz and fan interest. In future years, they might need to bring over a "name" player but not in 2007.

quote:Originally posted by thepatriot

Johnston said he is very close to signing an International who is captain of his club team in Europe. Any ideas??? I know that Kevin McKenna is captain of Energie Cottbus in Germany. Maybe he's not talking about a Canadian. Even though they have said they are not going to use the "Beckham Rule" this season, maybe they are.....

My guess is that is not McKenna, but someone like Figo (but he already signed for al-ittihad) but it could be Zidane or maybe Maldini. Maybe Veron?

quote:Originally posted by JesseDart

My guess is that is not McKenna, but someone like Figo (but he already signed for al-ittihad) but it could be Zidane or maybe Maldini. Maybe Veron?

It won't be a big name. That being said, even if it was, there is no way in a million years that it would be Maldini. He will retire with

Milan.

plus maldini is a defender.

i am at a loss as to whom it is. didn't johnston say a few weeks ago they were announcing a great striker? it wasn't eskandarian he was referring to was it? or have i forgotten someone?

i would not be surprised at all if De Rosario is the one being brought in - i can't recall Johnston saying the attacking midfielder was from Europe.

Archived