A Canadian Soccer Rant for 2007

KAS

Hi Guys,

so . . . ummm . . . what's new? ;)

Ok, first off . . does anyone know what the hell happened to me?! Apart from the usual computer problems/holiday distractions, I think the reason that I have not posted since September is because I was:

A) Eaten by wolves

B) Training hard in a remote woodshed ("Rocky style") for the TFC trials - followed by heavy drinking afterwards because years of rust (and zero talent even then), meant that I "just missed out".

C) A passenger in a car crash on Hwy 403 while on a trip to buy used exercise equipment - so that an effort to get in shape and save money put me in the hospital and forced me to buy a new car (IRONY IS A BITCH!!!) - with only a cute physiotherapist to make up for it.

D) So distraught at Kevan Pipe's firing that I felt that life was not worth living anymore and so I had to spend time at a monastery to reconnect with myself and find inner peace.

Ok, enough playing. I have several months worth of opinions and bitching to go through so please tolerate this indulgence:

- David Edgar is my new favourite Canadian player - not because of the goal against Man U, but because of what he will do for us at the U-20 WC, his great attitude, his patriotism, and because Canada will have great need for an EPL-level CB in the coming years. I'm sure he will spend most of the remaining season in Newcastle's reserves once tranfers arrive and the injured are healed, but his golden moment, at such a young age, suggests a very bright future.

- Atiba was great in CL. I hope the high profile games lead to a transfer to a bigger club (the biggest that he can regularly start for), and that he is locked into and specializes in one position so that Canada knows where to play him.

- It is a real shame about Peters, but given his incredible talent, he should be well above Ipswich reserves - and he only has himself to blame for that. This may be one of the few cases where leaving Europe for MLS could lead to a better player.

- Despite what I wrote above, DeRo needs to get his ass in Europe and really go for it. I think that "settling" for being the big fish/small pond with MLS, and the potential "hero" of TFC, is beneath a true athlete and is unnacceptable for someone who should be a MNT leader. I have heard that he is a great guy, and I believe that, but staying and taking the easy way would not be setting a good example for the kids in the future TFC academy.

- Whoregreaves is still a whore. The only difference is that now the Germans realize this as much as Canadians do.

- On a potentially related subject: within a year, Feyenoord will either be one of the most popular European clubs among Canadian soccer fans, or by far the most hated and despised! So, by this time next year, we may want the Canadian army to offer Holland back to the Germans. [}:)] JUST KIDDING - DON'T SHOOT!

- The above is where TFC's true value may come in handy - keeping Canadians in Canada long enough so that they remain Canadian. It is obvious that if Canada is to make the World Cup, then it's starting XI will have to be above MLS standard. TFC could, however, have an academy that will be a real production line for the U-20 World Cups. It can keep players in Canada long enough so that they don't reach Europe, or atleast not obtain European citizenship through residency , until they are past the age of 21. None of this "there was nothing here so he went over at 12 and is now more Dutch than Canadian" garbage. Canada needs good club academys so that the country can hang onto these talented kids for a few extra years and bring them fully into the Canadian program before others notice them.

- Regarding TFC, after reading through several months of posts and articles on U-Sector (just lurking - during my hiatus they stopped allowing "guests" to post, and I'm too stubborn/independent/stupid to register) I have to say that I am generally impressed with TFC's moves in general, and Mo in particular. I had bitched early on about the naming process (and even the name), and the stadium design, but Mo's roster moves have been good. The Superdraft was especially well done - even if he appeared to have got his third and fourth round picks confused and could have lost Gonsalves. The season ticket sales numbers are great - this club didn't even need the Beckham boost! At this point, forget about overpaying for old Euro hacks, just get a young/fast team full of potential and try to ride the early ticket sales to a shocking first year profit. That would really raise eyebrows in Montreal and Vancouver.

- This is just speculation, but Canada's MNT might be better off if it actually had a coach (same with the Women's team BTW :D). A technical director is also very important. I'm not sure about a COO though. Recent evidence (~20yrs worth) suggests that the salary money would be better spent on Samba bands and better airline seats for Radz! ;). Of course, if the CSA insists, then Nicholson would be the dream candidate (he would be nuts to take it though), while the best candidate who is actually within budget range and might say yes would be Tom Wright (ex CFL Commish and ex Adidas Canada guy). I can live with our guys having a "RONA" badge on the left shoulder if its' an extra Million/yr for the national teams.

- And finally, I think this board should bring back G-Man - but only so that we can see him try to explain why TFC's season ticket sales number is about to go over TEN THOUSAND - IN JANUARY!

Ok, this is enough for now. You may all now commence firing!

No firing needed.

Nice read. You just summarized in a nutshell what we have to look forward to for 2007.

You're missing the Gold Cup though and I think that event that isn't getting enough attention from the CSA. The MNT should be at full speed heading into the tournament. But its not going to happen.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

- The above is where TFC's true value may come in handy - keeping Canadians in Canada long enough so that they remain Canadian. It is obvious that if Canada is to make the World Cup, then it's starting XI will have to be above MLS standard. TFC could, however, have an academy that will be a real production line for the U-20 World Cups. It can keep players in Canada long enough so that they don't reach Europe, or atleast not obtain European citizenship through residency , until they are past the age of 21. None of this "there was nothing here so he went over at 12 and is now more Dutch than Canadian" garbage. Canada needs good club academys so that the country can hang onto these talented kids for a few extra years and bring them fully into the Canadian program before others notice them.

- Regarding TFC, after reading through several months of posts and articles on U-Sector (just lurking - during my hiatus they stopped allowing "guests" to post, and I'm too stubborn/independent/stupid to register) I have to say that I am generally impressed with TFC's moves in general, and Mo in particular. I had bitched early on about the naming process (and even the name), and the stadium design, but Mo's roster moves have been good. The Superdraft was especially well done - even if he appeared to have got his third and fourth round picks confused and could have lost Gonsalves. The season ticket sales numbers are great - this club didn't even need the Beckham boost! At this point, forget about overpaying for old Euro hacks, just get a young/fast team full of potential and try to ride the early ticket sales to a shocking first year profit. That would really raise eyebrows in Montreal and Vancouver.

Good one!... I agree that having TFC around will go a long way towards preventing further defection by keeping more promising young players in Canada to develop in a professionally run youth structure.

Even Mr Edgar senior stated that if TFC would have been around when David was 13-14, things would have been different. But at that time, he felt that he had no choice but to go overseas.

The TFC season ticket sales so far has surpassed even my most optimistic expectations.

Archived