Some info on a couple players...

torontofc

Hi, im new here, I've been a fan of canadian soccer for a while now and have been checking out this site for a while and i finally decided to join. I was wondering if some people on here could give me some information on a couple of players...

Kennedy Owusu-Ansah: How good is he? Still at Hertha?

Atiba Hutchinson: Will he join a bigger club, maybe Toronto FC?:D

Jaime Peters:Why isn't he getting the playing time at Ipswich? Toronto FC? Is he still a player to "watch" out for?

Asmir Begovic: What does his future hold? How good is he?

Andrea Lombardo: Where is he at the moment? How is he doing?

Nikolas Ledgerwood: Still at Munich? How is he doing? How good can he be?

Keegan Ayre: I don't know much about him, any info would be great!

Jonathan de Guzman: Any good news at all?

Sorry, I know it's a lot, any information would be great!

Here's some answers:

1. Kennedy O-A: Looked good with U20's. CSA lists him as with Hertha but hard to find any info on him at the Hertha site. He was with them back in October or so but hasn't played with the top U19 team (which is the best team he could be with as a U18 -- unable to sign a pro contract).

2. Atiba H - Yes, and definitely no unless he is throwing away his Euro career to be home.

3. Jaime Peters - coach says he is gaining in confidence but still a bit raw; incredible in training but doesn't translate in games to date (CCC is a bit rough and tumble for him maybe?).

4. Asmir B - a great prospect - did extremely well on loan to a lower div side but out injured I believe.

5. Andrea L - I have no info on him; perhaps 'Alberto' will pipe in.

6. Nik L - finally healthy. training with full squad in Spain over winter break. Should see action in B2 when the 2nd half of the season starts as coach says he is a 'biter' and incredibly useful on his squad.

7.Keegan Ayre - no input from me.

8. Jono - key player for Feyenoord, good news is that he has not committed to NL yet.

quote:Originally posted by BigBird

New hear just thought I mention

I'm sorry to say Alberto passed away

I'll miss him too, he was passionate about the topic of canadians in Italy. I seem to remember him disappearing for while after having had some heart problems. Perhaps they came back.

RIP

Once I read Ed mention Alberto and realized he hadn't posted here in a long time I had a bad feeling. I remember he previously took a break from posting for a couple of months because of serious health problems. There was a real charm to his posts despite or more likely because of his less than perfect mastery of the English language. He will be missed and lets hope that if there is an afterlife he is enjoying some footie right now.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

wow..it's funny how at moments like this we are reminded that we aremuch more like an extended family and less like a forum of football fanatics...sad news

Very true. Many probably communicate with others here more than they do with members of their extended family. I think it is the nature of these type of internet forums that you get to know people at a certain level, but usually without meeting them in person. You can figure out their personality, temperment, views, age, and often even education, but you don't know what they look like or usually even their full names.

I have just returned here after not posting for several months (since late September as well) primarily because of a high-speed collision with an SUV on a highway near Toronto. Fortunately, bruises heal, broken bones mend, and rehab restores most of the lost motion. The fact is though, is that I have never met anyone here or on the other soccer forums, and I don't think anyone here knows my actual name. Essentially, as far as internet forums go, I disappeared off the face of the earth, and had the accident been fatal, it would have remained that way. Infact, even some of my old friends from university would not have known for a long time because we only communicate sporadically and through e-mail. It really makes you think - and visit Volvo dealerships.

Alberto was one of the best posters here. His opinions were more than just balanced with ample facts, and he offered this community access to very valuable information that nobody else could provide.

The fact that some of the threads here were nothing more than "ask Alberto" question sessions shows just how important he was.

RIP Alberto

quote:Originally posted by nolando

wow..it's funny how at moments like this we are reminded that we aremuch more like an extended family and less like a forum of football fanatics...sad news

Very true. Many probably communicate with others here more than they do with members of their extended family. I think it is the nature of these type of internet forums that you get to know people at a certain level, but usually without meeting them in person. You can figure out their personality, temperment, views, age, and often even education, but you don't know what they look like or usually even their full names.

I have just returned here after not posting for several months (since late September as well) primarily because of a high-speed collision with an SUV on a highway near Toronto. Fortunately, bruises heal, broken bones mend, and rehab restores most of the lost motion. The fact is though, is that I have never met anyone here or on the other soccer forums, and I don't think anyone here knows my actual name. Essentially, as far as internet forums go, I disappeared off the face of the earth, and had the accident been fatal, it would have remained that way. Infact, even some of my old friends from university would not have known for a long time because we only communicate sporadically and through e-mail. It really makes you think - and visit Volvo dealerships.

Alberto was one of the best posters here. His opinions were more than just balanced with ample facts, and he offered this community access to very valuable information that nobody else could provide.

The fact that some of the threads here were nothing more than "ask Alberto" question sessions shows just how important he was.

RIP Alberto

Very sad. I enjoyed Alberto's contributions a lot. You could really tell how passionate he was about Italian soccer, and about Canadians playing there in particular. It's really a shame that many of us never got to meet him.

Picking up on one of KAS's points, Internet interaction tends to draw otherwise very different people together due to some common interest, but sometimes we imagine that we actually "know" these people when in fact they are still largely unknown to us in so many ways. A bit of a tangent here, but one of my other interests (competitive chess) has led me to "meet" a lot of people from all over the world. Recently a fine gentleman who I'd corresponded with for years also passed away, yet I only found out quite by accident. Scary really.

Makes me realize that I **REALLY** need to get out to a Toronto FC game this summer and actually meet some Voyageurs/Ultras/RPBs.

RIP Alberto

Moderators, this deserves it's own thread. Could you please move all the Alberto posts, Perhaps under a headline, RIP Alberto.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Alberto, but I would have loved to have gone to a Canada match with him.

Such passion for the game. I'm really going to miss those Canadians in Italy reports.

Rest In Peace Alberto.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am also stunned, I didn't expect that at all. Very sorry to hear it, and would second WF's request to make a separate thread on this just so folks can express themselves.

I too appreciated the passion of his posts and his first hand knowledge of a few younger players.

Archived