Whitecaps Stadium Progress

Canucks fan

Not a lot of info and no real timeline but it doesn't seem like we've really heard anything about the progress of it since the vote last summer.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=e5691992-6200-4c15-b64a-065dc2e74879

Meetings with port officials encouraging, Whitecaps say

Darah Hansen, Vancouver Sun

Published: Friday, January 12, 2007

quote:VANCOUVER - Work continues on resolving problems and concerns associated with the Vancouver Whitecaps soccer team's controversial proposal to build a 15,000-seat soccer stadium in Gastown.

In an interview Thursday, Bob Lenarduzzi, the club's director of soccer operations, said team officials have been working their way through a list of five key requirements associated with the $65-million project, and identified by Vancouver city council following a series of public hearings on the issue last July.

In particular, the club was asked to address road access issues in and around the proposed stadium, to limit the impact of stadium crowds and noise on Gastown residents, and to reconfigure the original stadium design so it would fit better in the historic neighbourhood.

The city also told the soccer club to conduct a formal study on how the stadium might affect future development of Vancouver Port Authority land, and to resolve any risks and liabilities associated with the proposed stadium's location above the CPR railyard.

Lenarduzzi said the club has so far focused its energy on working with the port authority. Recent meetings between the two parties, he said, have proven "very encouraging."

Following resolution on that front, the club will turn its attention to addressing the remaining four requirements, he said.

City councillors gave their unanimous approval for the stadium concept last year, but said the club must adequately address the five requirements they identified before the proposal can move to the rezoning process.

i really hope that you guys in van-land get this stadium and join the MLS. if there is a city/team that deserves it the most, its gotta be the Whitecaps man.

Here in T.O., we lucked out literally through our arse. i think, god finally answered our prayers for a stable, REAL professional franchise and thats what we have now. who knows what the actual squad is going to be like, i'm expecting a losing season but hoping for a winning season.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

i really hope that you guys in van-land get this stadium and join the MLS. if there is a city/team that deserves it the most, its gotta be the Whitecaps man.

Here in T.O., we lucked out literally through our arse. i think, god finally answered our prayers for a stable, REAL professional franchise and thats what we have now. who knows what the actual squad is going to be like, i'm expecting a losing season but hoping for a winning season.

I second that. It is critical to the long term success of Canadian soccer to have more MLS teams so there can be more professional development of young talent.

The USL is a fine league but the MLS is undoubtedly the top lovel of play in North America and Canada needs more representation, especially because I think Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are all better soccer markets than several of the existing teams in MLS (i.e. Kansas City, Salt Lake City, etc...).

I hope you guys can make it happen out west. I know land costs an arm and a leg so I hope that there will be municipal, provincial and maybe some federal support for the project to make it happen. I don't mind a few of my tax dollars going to support a worthy cause.

quote:Originally posted by Canucks fan

Why do the Whitecaps have to conduct a formal study for the Port? Shouldn't the Port do a report on how it's own land will be developed?

It's like if I want to build a house on my property, I have to conduct a report on how my neighbour will be able to renovate his bathroom or build a hot tub in the back yard as a result of my house being built.

Kinda rediculous....

quote:Originally posted by RJB

For someone trying to spend 65 million to make the city better, Mr. Kerfoot is sure getting the run around.

i was not aware that this is a privately funded initiative. that being the case, it's a shame that the city and community groups wouldn't welcome the development.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

i was not aware that this is a privately funded initiative. that being the case, it's a shame that the city and community groups wouldn't welcome the development.

You got that right but the proposal as it is will have a profound impact on the district and its surrounds as well as the watefront skyline so understandably the City is being cautious. However I was not in Vancouver when Canada Place was constructed. It is also a very large structure and is currently being enlarged. It too attracts thousands of people to trade shows and conventions on occasion and it has a profound imprint on the waterfront appearance. How much fuss was there about the development of Canada Place?

quote:Originally posted by RJB

For someone trying to spend 65 million to make the city better, Mr. Kerfoot is sure getting the run around.

Not only that, but as every day goes by, that stadium gets more and more expensive. With steel concrete and labour in short supply, that 65 million dollar stadium at the end of 2005, will really be more like 80 million dollars come 2008 when the first shovel goes in the ground.

email sent out to Whitecaps fans today

quote:It has been quite some time since we last communicated with you, our stadium supporters, about the new stadium. Since July 11, we have been actively working to address the five key requirements that were raised by City Council. Through our discussions with the City and the Port Authority, there is now a new proposed stadium site situated slightly west of the previously proposed site, just north of the CP Rail tracks, on the waterfront and near the SeaBus hub. We are optimistic that the new site will be significant in allowing us to successfully address the five key issues.

As always, we encourage you to lend your support by writing letters to your councilors. A City Council meeting will take place at 9:30 a.m. on February 1, at which time City Staff will present their updated report with recommendations for the process of resolving the five issues, in conjunction with the Central Waterfront Hub Study.

As a key part of the process, there will be extensive public consultation including one-on-one meetings, public open houses and workshops. We anticipate the open houses will take place in early March and thus we will provide more details about attending when they become available.

Thank you again for all of your support for our vision of a Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium. We will be in touch with you when the next important announcement is made. In the meantime, visit whitecapsnewstadium.com for more information.

Sincerely,

Bob Lenarduzzi

Director, Soccer Operations

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Media release

http://whitecapsnewstadium.com/media_kit_detail.cfm?newsid=24

quote:Jan 22, 2007

REPORT TO COUNCIL RECOMMENDS PROCESS WHICH COULD POTENTIALLY RESOLVE KEY ISSUES

VANCOUVER, B.C. – Today Vancouver city staff submitted a report to Council which recommends a process that could potentially resolve the proposed Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium’s five key requirements set out by City Council last July. In addition, the report outlines a procedure to integrate the stadium with the Waterfront Hub Study. The report will be presented at a City Council meeting at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, February 1.

“Since the last City Council meeting in July, we have been actively working to address the five key requirements,” said Whitecaps Director of Soccer Operations Bob Lenarduzzi. “Through our discussions with the Port Authority, we are now proposing a revised stadium site which has the potential to resolve or mitigate the five key issues.”

The new proposed site is situated slightly west of the previously proposed site, just north of the CP Rail tracks, on the waterfront and near the SeaBus hub.

The five key requirements the Whitecaps are working with the City and stakeholders to resolve are the following:

Provision of an adequate street network

Resolution of the risks and liability associated with dangerous goods in the rail lands

Reconfiguration of the stadium structure to ensure a better fit with Gastown

Resolution of impacts on the liveability of residential areas south of the rail lands

Resolution of impacts on future Port Lands development

As part of the process there will be a number of opportunities for the public to provide input on the proposal through one-on-one meetings, public open houses and workshops.

“We look forward to continuing to work with the City, stakeholders and public to ensure that the stadium is an asset to the community,” added Lenarduzzi. “Although we are optimistic about the new proposed site, there is still a lot of work to be done between now and June in order to move forward to the rezoning process.”

The recommended process is scheduled to be completed in June 2007, at that time Council will decide whether the five key requirements can be resolved sufficiently to proceed to a rezoning process. If approved, the stadium will follow a timeline which would see it ready in early 2010.

The proposed Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium would be located adjacent to Vancouver’s transit hub making it easily accessible from the new Canada Line, SkyTrain, SeaBus, West Coast Express, Helijet and numerous bus routes. The multi-purpose venue would accommodate year-round events including more than 30 Whitecaps Men’s and Women’s games, Canadian national team soccer matches, international sporting events such as rugby and tennis, concerts, and community festivals.

CLICK HERE for the Council's report.

quote:Originally posted by Canucks fan

This (slightly) new location will hopefully work out better. Although I'm not exactly sure what will happen with the seabus terminal since the diagrams in the report actually show it being built over it.

http://www.whitecapsnewstadium.com/data/upload/csb6.pdf

The media are reporting that the seabus terminal woudl be rebuilt, further out into the harbour. Its unfortunate the Caps weren't able to make the original location work, this plan will undoutedly cost Kerfoot more money.

quote:Originally posted by Raven

I hope they do an eathquake risk factor for that one.....because if they put it on "fill" that puppy is going in the water

If it is "on fill" they will use caissons or piles as the foundation.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

It will probably cost Kerfoot more money but it seems like a really cool location for a stadium with it being right on the water.

It does look cool!! But I have to wonder how they are going to retreive balls that sail out behind the nets on one end of the field. Specifically, the end on the right side of the diagram.

Well at least its not going to damage passing cars as it would at Lamport Stadium.

Looks kinda "weird". Interesting, but weird.

And how exactly do you expand something like that? Maybe expansion was never in the origional plans anyway but ho-bhoy, water is water.

Railroad yard on one side? Nice.

Hell, if this is what it takes to get the thing built then damn it all, it looks genius to me.

As to money issues I don't know. Pillings over a railway yard or pillings in the drink. Does it realy matter?

Anyway, if it comes off it'll certainly be a creature unique to Vancouver won't it?

Archived