MLS Superdraft is a joke

JesseDart

Hey fellas,

Is it just me or is the Superdraft a big gaf? Come on people these players are 22-25 years of age and only play competitive games in the fall. These guys might be good athletes, but they are out of form and possibly to old. It's a waste of time. Academy structure all the way - I say. If these guys are so hot, then why are they not in Europe? If it was up to me as a player, I wouldn't even enter the draft - I got a degree and can earn $60K a year or I could go play MLS and earn $24K a year. Yeah, I know, they love the sport and money is not the issue - well not until you see what beckham is getting. Anyway just my view. Really, a kid has to decide by the time they are 15 if they are serious and begin making trips overseas for try-outs and tournaments to get anywhere in the game.

They are between 20 and 22 yrs old. Some very good players have been found in this draft, Olivier Occean would be a good example.

Most of them are playing PDL so they're also playing competitive games in the summer. Some of them are members of various youth national teams so they have some international experience.

I agree, the Academy structure is the futur but before we get there the draft is the only option, and it's not a bad one.

ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

With 900,000 registered players in CSA. Why can't we get elite U-20 and U-18 regional and national leagues and have a draft?

I know apples and tangerines but if Hockey Canada can do it with 525,000 registered players .........

Sorry, I'll go find a wall to beat my head against now. [xx(]

NCAA when combined with PDL works alright and a lot of good players have come through that system and gone on to play for the USMNT and for big teams in Europe. Generation Adidas players are also selected as well so it is not just NCAA graduates. Here is an article I did for the red Patch Boys website, which sets out some of the background to it from a TFC standpoint.

----------------------

MLS SuperDraft 2007--------------by Section 112 Blizzard

qdD4uJwo.jpg

MLS Superdraft 2007 will be held on Friday in Indianapolis. 52 players will be selected in four rounds. TFC will have the first pick in rounds one, three and four. The second round pick was dealt to FC Dallas as part of the Ronnie O'Brien trade. Although the SuperDraft will not have as big an impact as the Expansion draft on TFC's starting lineup the performance of the players selected in 2006 suggests that the first and third round picks can be expected to see significant playing time this summer, while the fourth round pick is more of a long shot to make the grade.

The SuperDraft primarily consists of graduating NCAA players but 8 Generation Adidas players (mainly US U-20 and U-17 players) will also be up for grabs. Generation Adidas is a program run in association with the USSF and Adidas to enable early entry of promising young players into MLS. In addition to a guaranteed contract Generation Adidas players also receive grants towards their college education should their career in soccer not work out.

It should be noted that contrary to what was predicted by the Toronto MLS blogspot BC's Tyler Rosenlund has not signed a Generation Adidas contract. It will be interesting to watch Mo Johnston's strategy in this draft and whether or not he will focus on the Canadians that are available or will instead simply aim to select the best players available regardless of nationality given the fact that TFC has up to 5 youth international roster spots available in 2007 and American franchises may be reluctant to draft Canadians given the limited number of international roster spots that are available to them. Undrafted Canadian players can still be invited to training camp and signed to the development roster.

Four Canadians were invited to this week's MLS player combine in Fort Lauderdale:-

Nigel Marples , Towson University, Delta BC, Defender, 1985

Jeffrey Gonsalves University of Rhode Island, Markham, Forward, 1986

Rich Asante Syracuse University, North York, Midfielder, 1985 CSA Profile

Riley O'Neill University of Kentucky, Campbell River BC, Forward, 1985 CSA Profile

The two most highly rated Canadian prospects Jeffrey Gonsalves and Riley O'Neill did not attend due to illness. There are rumours that Mo Johnston may trade the top pick for another team's first and second picks as the player that TFC have identified as their top target is not generally expected to be selected first overall. The Generation Adidas players who appear to be most highly rated are the University of Maryland midfielder Maurice Edu and goalkeeper Chris Seitz . Soccernet and 3rddegree.net have provided detailed assessments of many of the other available players.

The SuperDraft will be shown live at noon on Friday on The Score and on the mlsnet.com website.

quote:911 is a Joke

Hit me

Going, going, gone

Now I dialed 911 a long time ago

Don't you see how late they're reactin'

They only come and they come when they wanna

So get the morgue embalm the goner

They don't care 'cause they stay paid anyway

They teach ya like an ace they can't be betrayed

I know you stumble with no use people

If your life is on the line they you're dead today

Late comings with the late comin' stretcher

That's a body bag in disguise y'all betcha

I call 'em body snatchers quick they come to fetch ya?

With an autopsy ambulance just to dissect ya

They are the kings 'cause they swing amputation

Lose your arms, your legs to them it's compilation

I can prove it to you watch the rotation

It all adds up to a funky situation

So get up get, get get down

911 is a joke in yo town

Get up, get, get, get down

Late 911 wears the late crown

911 is a joke

Everyday they don't never come correct

You can ask my man right here with the broken neck

He's a witness to the job never bein' done

He would've been in full in 8 9-11

Was a joke 'cause they always jokin'

They the token to your life when it's croakin'

They need to be in a pawn shop on a

911 is a joke we don't want 'em

I call a cab 'cause a cab will come quicker

The doctors huddle up and call a flea flicker

The reason that I say that 'cause they

Flick you off like fleas

They be laughin' at ya while you're crawlin' on your knees

And to the strength so go the length

Thinkin' you are first when you really are tenth

You better wake up and smell the real flavor

Cause 911 is a fake life saver

So get up, get, get get down

911 is a joke in yo town

Get up, get, get, get down

Late 911 wears the late crown

Ow, ow 911 is a joke

quote:Originally posted by JesseDart

Hey fellas,

Is it just me or is the Superdraft a big gaf? Come on people these players are 22-25 years of age and only play competitive games in the fall. These guys might be good athletes, but they are out of form and possibly to old. It's a waste of time. Academy structure all the way - I say. If these guys are so hot, then why are they not in Europe? If it was up to me as a player, I wouldn't even enter the draft - I got a degree and can earn $60K a year or I could go play MLS and earn $24K a year. Yeah, I know, they love the sport and money is not the issue - well not until you see what beckham is getting. Anyway just my view. Really, a kid has to decide by the time they are 15 if they are serious and begin making trips overseas for try-outs and tournaments to get anywhere in the game.

That's all well and good, but it will take at least 5 years of an existing academy structure before you'll start seeing a few players making the 1st team. The draft will fill the need for the time being.

Archived