Rosenlund Heading to Europe

Gaucho

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by nhr57

And he's back in Sweden for yet another trial. This time with second-tier team Åtvidaberg.

http://www.atvidabergsff.se/

Ok, so he has gone from one of the big clubs in Sweden, to a much smaller club in Finland, and now he's trying to get a job with a team in Sweden's second-tier. DAMN! Can he fall any further?!

I have no idea what Sweden's second-tier looks like, it's level of play, or the level of pay, but I think it is safe to say that it would hardly embarass the MLS. Maybe the pay would be better since this kid would only get the MLS Development Roster salary without a Generation Addidas contract (didn't he turn one down?), but the playing quality can't be better. This may be a case of someone having such a love-affair with everything Europe, or the usual inferiority complex about North American soccer, that he would take anything in Europe over MLS.

I think at this point, he should get his ass on a plane to Florida and hope that he can convince Mo to give him a chance. A couple of years in MLS would help to bridge the gap between NCAA and the better leagues in Europe.

Yeah, this doesn't look good...

If it's any consolation, Åtvidaberg is a famous club that once knocked Chelsea out of the Cup winners cup. Not bad for a town of 11,000. Nowadays they hover around the middle of the Superettan (1st division).

Anyway, if Tyler doesn't make this TFC would probably be the best thing.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

I think at this point, he should get his ass on a plane to Florida and hope that he can convince Mo to give him a chance. A couple of years in MLS would help to bridge the gap between NCAA and the better leagues in Europe.

Pure speculation on my part but the problem to a certain extent might also be that his agent would get less money that way.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Pure speculation on my part but the problem to a certain extent might also be that his agent would get less money that way.

Yes, that is pure speculation, but I was also thinking that he was getting some bad advice when I made my previous post. Unless he is very industrious, or well connected, his ability to get so many tryouts, in quick succession and on short notice, suggests the work of an agent whose connections are strongest in Sweden/Finland.

If he really was offered a Generation Adidas contract (does anyone know?) and turned it down for the glamourous life in Sweden's second division (assuming he makes it!), then I would definitely fire the agent. This guy was expected to go late first round or early second round in the MLS Superdraft. That is not spectalular, but he would have got an MLS contract and atleast a few games with the first team. He really should try to get Mo's phone number and see if he can get a couple of years in MLS before trying this European adventure again.

Link

The above link is interesting becasue it describes a player whose credentials are fairly similar to Roselund's. Obviously none of us are parties to whatever negotiations have gone on between Roselund and MLS/TFC but first and foremost, professional soccer for a player is about making a living. I would suggest that if Roselund is willingly looking at the Second Division of Sweden, then the money MLS was offering was on the low side.

Unfortunately, until MLS is able to increase their revenues so as to offer decent salaries to development players, I think a fairly significant number of "blue chip" prospects will be looking to second tier leagues in Europe first.

<mod>Fixed link</mod>

I am sure he would make more money in the 4th division in Germany than on one of these MLS developmental contracts. You make more money at Tim Hortons for God's sake.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I am sure he would make more money in the 4th division in Germany than on one of these MLS developmental contracts. You make more money at Tim Hortons for God's sake.

Second Division Sweden would be better both in terms of development (assuming he is playing) and financially.

Friend was making approximately $70,000 US in his first year playing in second tier Norway with Moss. His resume is almost identical coming out of the same school, with no professional experience, and junior international experience.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Second Division Sweden would be better both in terms of development (assuming he is playing) and financially.

Friend was making approximately $70,000 US in his first year playing in second tier Norway with Moss. His resume is almost identical coming out of the same school, with no professional experience, and junior international experience.

No argument there. Just pointing out that the developmental salaries are pitiful in MLS and you cannot blame a player for looking at the lower leagues in Europe, despite the stated superior level of play in MLS.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Just pointing out that the developmental salaries are pitiful in MLS and you cannot blame a player for looking at the lower leagues in Europe, despite the stated superior level of play in MLS.

Many of the development roster players never make the senior roster. It is an opportunity for graduating NCAA players like Tyler Hemming to try to make the grade by training with an MLS team for a summer rather than going to USL-D1. European clubs pay burger flipping level money to lots of young players as well. The only difference is they tend to be a bit younger joining clubs straight from high school and have no qualifications to fall back on if things don't work out and it should be remembered that most ultimately do wind up in this category.

The most promising young players in a North American context are offered Generation Adidas deals by MLS to forego NCAA and these lead to senior roster spots and can be quite lucrative (Freddy Adu being a prime example) and many first round SuperDraft picks (this appears to apply in the case of TFC's Andrew Boyens) get senior roster deals straight away for considerably more than the league minimum. Rumour has it that Tyler Rosenlund would have been in this sort of category so I'm not sure why the development roster issue is even being discussed in this thread. Generation Adidas players like Maurice Edu (who probably got what would have been Tyler Rosenlund's place) typically go in the first round, while this DC United player was a more marginal third round pick.

Guest Jeffery S.

I've been trying to "shallow for östgötarnas decisions" for years, so I can definitely say this a great move for the kid.

In any case, he'll be playing more or less on the same level as many guys who have been in our national program. Like Kusch. Kenny. Pozniak.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
quote:Originally posted by David C.

He should have stayed in school for his senior year.

Toronto FC will always be an option, down the road.

Agreed, though now Toronto FC is probably less of an option than it ever was. Seems somebody stuffed his head with unrealistic expectations.

Archived