Beckham to MLS.

Free kick

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

That's what frustrated me about an MSNBC reporter I heard on Prime Time tonight. He was going on and on about how it's not going to vault MLS into the position of a "major" NA sport. Ya, well no kidding. No intelligent person is going to believe that is going to happen.

Really? Look no further than this thread to find people who think that it will make MLS "major".

quote:

It will help MLS consolidate and grow. Nobody expect miracles but many of the pundits are criticizing based on the assumption they make that miracles are expected.

That remains to be seen. When MLS wasn't able to sign any half-decent players from Europe, they kept saying that it was their choice not to do so. They didn't wanna fall in the NASL-trap, they said. Now that they've finally been able to lure a well-known player (even though that player has alterior motives), their story has done a complete 180. :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

If I were Yallop and I'd be told that Becks had to be played, I would resign. It is an anti-sport option that no self-respecting coach should accept.

I know you think that Beckham is crap cuz you hate Real Madrid and follow La Liga (which he is no longer good enough to play in). But he is still well above the level of most MLS players. In other words, Yallop won't even be faced with that dilemna.

I am not quite sure why we keep bandying around the NASL comparisons. First, the contract is only $400,000 per annum, or a little more than some of the premier american internationals in MLS makes. AEG - a corporation and not the League - forks over nearly $10 million per annum and the board is accountable to its owners for that decision and it has nothing to do with MLS. Lastly, the remaining $40 million per annum its not even being paid to beckham by any american soccer entity...it is Beckham's own existing endorsements. This will decline over the next 5 years almost certainly but that is not MLS's problem...so the League is only on the hook for $400,000. In that light, the deal has already paid for itself in terms of the alleged ticket sales (not buying into the numbers 100% as NA soccer operators at all levels are known to fudge these) and the media frenzy that has accompanied the signing. I think it is a good deal for MLS although perhaps questionable for AEG. The lasting impact I expect to be equal to Gretzky going to LA...a blip, followed by a return to normal trends. I don't expect any lasting impact. If Beckham does not perform at a level head and shoulders above the rest of the league, then I expect that the blip will be shorter than the 5 years his contract runs as one of the consequences of a media frenzy is that it can go bad on you in a hurry if they decide they have been sold a sow's ear.

Don't see any reason for doom and gloom, and I don't see a whole lot that suggests anything more than short benefit either. Perhaps the league will surprise me but I doubt it...

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Really? Look no further than this thread to find people who think that it will make MLS "major".

Context is everything - David was referring, in a response to a part of my post that he was agreeing with, to MLS reaching the same heights as the biggest three pro leagues, which nobody in this thread has suggested the Beckham signing will do.

Nice try though.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Free kick

As I indicated earlier, suppose that (instead spending 250 Mil) the MLS decided to launch a massive $250 Mil marketing campaign to promote their sport. Would there be any objection to that idea? or would such a campaign yield a greater long term benefit? I dont think so. Roughly 80% TorontoFC's season tickets were sold before the annoucement. The recent push is nothing more than icing on the cake. Plus, I do not see how the motivation or impact of getting Beckham in the MLS is any different than that of Real Madrid in acquiring him from Manchester United.

I agree with an earlier post from Grizzly that this is a player that, due to his celebrity status, has been overrated all of his career. But he is still a high quality player. Ultimately he will dress up and have to play in the league. I don't get it when some say that he is over the hill and washed up. Just six months ago he was a a starter and captain of a WC side that played amongst the best 16 sides in the world. Not to mention numerous Euro championships, champions league etc etc. There shouldn't be any doubt that he can help any team and make a big contribution. Like very many big deals in europe, its business move with soccer implications. Again, I dont see the difference between this deal and the one that sent him from Man U to Real Madrid

Given that the deal you refer to was the worst in the history of Real Madrid, are you also suggesting that it will have similar consequences for Galaxy?

What bothers me is that after so many years of slowly building soccer-specific stadiums, consolidating franchises, bringing in new teams slowly, extra slow, imposing salary caps and being modest, with some very positive results in terms of slowly building a strong fan base and some intelligent supporters (as seen on Big Soccer, which is a good marker), now MLS has thrown it all out and has taken a radically different option with one player, for one team. It is like renouncing everything they have been working on for the last decade, admitting it is a failure (or suggesting it, which I don't think it is at all), and going radically in the opposite direction: speculative, marketing, merchandising, press image, everything that will not help build a base for the sport in North America. It is a full-scale surrender, it is basically like saying "we give up, to hell with serious fans and modest honest players, the Pozniak's and Braz's of the world, we are going for the big show now".

The same option was a disaster for REal Madrid, which supposedly solved some financial problems, but is in its longest spell without winning a trophy in its history, and with a big mess internally, all because they put the Beckham principle first and dumped people like Makelele (too unrefined) and del Bosque (not a modern enough image) who were winning them European Cups.

My real concern, apart from the MLS, is that this helps Real Madrid get back on track, you can see they are taking as a gift and using it as the excuse to clean house, the revolution has begun and I personally think the team will be a lot more dangerous from here on in.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

What bothers me is that after so many years of slowly building soccer-specific stadiums, consolidating franchises, bringing in new teams slowly, extra slow, imposing salary caps and being modest, with some very positive results in terms of slowly building a strong fan base and some intelligent supporters (as seen on Big Soccer, which is a good marker), now MLS has thrown it all out and has taken a radically different option with one player, for one team. It is like renouncing everything they have been working on for the last decade, admitting it is a failure (or suggesting it, which I don't think it is at all), and going radically in the opposite direction: speculative, marketing, merchandising, press image, everything that will not help build a base for the sport in North America. It is a full-scale surrender, it is basically like saying "we give up, to hell with serious fans and modest honest players, the Pozniak's and Braz's of the world, we are going for the big show now".

Right. But all of that was just a puppet show they put on for their dozens of fans all around America. The only reason they didn't sign any big names before is because they couldn't sign any big names. Plain and simple.

hmmm... and also remember that Barcelona only signed Ronaldinho because they failed at signing Beckham. ;) But you're being a bit harsh on Beckham. Real Madrid still wins nothing the past 3 years even without Beckham. Raul, Roberto Carlos, no central defence, crap coaches... there are alot of problems on that team, not just Beckham. Madrid is still going nowhere this season, I assure you. :D

Owen Hargreaves has a column on BBC.com: His take on Beckham. There's also a question and answer section for him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6262633.stm

Owen Hargreaves column

BBC columnist Owen Hargreaves

By Owen Hargreaves

England and Bayern Munich midfielder

Read my answers to your questions

David Beckham's decision to leave Real Madrid for America caused a bit of shock in some quarters.

However, it was not a surprise to me at all. If you look at Becks and what he has achieved at Manchester United and Real Madrid I think this is a good step for him.

I have played with him for a number of years and one thing about him is he loves a challenge.

He showed that when he left Manchester United for Real Madrid. He went to Spain to experience how football is abroad.

I think it is commendable that people take on these new challenges rather than sticking with a comfortable situation.

Becks still wants to achieve a lot in his career and has set himself goals - this is probably one of them.

David Beckham

Not many people could have withstood what he has gone through

I am close to Becks but it is not something we have discussed before - he had a contract with Real after all.

But what he brings to a league that is not that popular at the moment is a big name and he is going to be hugely influential.

It also opens the door for others to go over there and play and I am sure you will see some other star players commit their future to MLS.

There are a lot of players who have gone to play in Qatar or Dubai but personally I think it would be more interesting to be a part of something potentially big being built.

There is a lot of potential there, it just needs people like Becks to promote it.

He is going to be a massive figure, not only in football circles over there but the sporting world. I think he will create a lot of excitement that will be good for the league.

He already has that profile in the rest of the world.

A lot of people in North America - such as my parents who went to Canada from England - have moved there from around the world, like the Italians, Spanish or South Americans.

They are football fans because they grew up with it, so there is an audience there for football.

Everyone knows Becks, whether they are a football fan or not.

So he is going to bring a lot more people to the games and a bigger fan base, not just the football enthusiasts or the kids but being global he will appeal for a lot of people.

The league has a lot to offer but at the moment it cannot compete with the European leagues financially, but when that changes it will be very interesting to other players.

Towards the end of my career I could definitely see myself playing over there. It would be interesting especially as I grew up in North America and certainly something to think about.

Becks has had his share of ups and downs over the years but in sports there has never been a player that has constantly gone up and up.

What is so commendable is how he has come back from difficult times - there are a lot of people who have not.

People will be saying that this is the end of his England career but in football anything is possible.

It was only a few months ago that he was at the World Cup. But it comes down to what the team needs or what the manager picks.

Everyone knows when they watch Becks he still has a lot to offer, but it is difficult because there is such a great group of young talents coming through like Aaron Lennon - competition for places is so tough.

It has been different not having Becks around the England squad since the World Cup because he was part of the set-up for so long. He was such an influential figure, but now he is not there and the team needs to move on.

In football you do not always play with the same team. Injuries and suspensions happen so you get used to not having the same team and a good side needs to adapt.

David Beckham

Beckham has been made an outcast by Madrid

John Terry has stepped up to be the captain and has done a good job so far.

I was a bit surprised by Real's announcement that Becks will not play for them again.

A contract is a contract - it is their decision what they want to do but it is possibly the first time I have heard of such a move.

Players coming to the end of their contract are allowed to sign a contract with any club in January - that is the rule.

At Bayern, Hasan Salihamidzic has just signed a deal with Juventus and I am sure he will play some games for us for the rest of the season

So only Real know the reasons for that but it seems a bit spiteful.

For Becks this is a new challenge and a new chapter. For anybody that doubts him, I predict Becks will probably have the last laugh.

I admire him for everything he has achieved and the way he has handled it - not many people could have withstood what he has gone through.

It takes a unique person and that is why he is a good example for people to look up to. I have had nothing but great experiences with him.

YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED

Were there any other teams interested apart from Bayern Munich when you started playing football and if there was why did you decide to go to Bayern Munich?

Ebrahim, England

It was a coincidence more than anything. When I was 13 growing up in Calgary I had a coach who worked in the former East Germany. When the wall came down he came over to Canada. He thought I had potential and said if I continued to grow and develop that he would call his contacts in Germany. At 15 I went over for a trial at Bayern Munich. They were the first club and I had trials planned at Cologne and Leverkusen but Bayern decided to keep me and that was that.

Which players in world football do you admire? And which do you model your game on?

James, England

As a kid you try and model your game on people but it is a bit different as I am turning 26 in a few days. But I have so much respect for so many players in the game today. Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are two complete midfield players, I love the way Wayne Rooney plays with no fear and attacks. Lionel Messi is a wonderful player, in fact you could go through the whole Barcelona team. Kaka is a fine midfielder and Cristiano Ronaldo is possibly the best individual player in Europe at the moment. Those are the players that stick out.

I want to congratulate you after having a very strong World Cup, I would love to see you in the Premiership. Two questions: 1: What would be your ideal position to play for club and country? 2: When growing up who was your idol?

Craig Sharman, England

Growing up in Canada my idol was my dad and then my brother - I played football because they did and I followed them wherever they went. There wasn't a lot of football on TV and that's why I wear number 23 because of Michael Jordan - he was such an influence in North American sports. I grew up watching him and he was the big icon at the time. My best position is as a holding midfielder - that central midfield position helping out defensively, getting the ball back and making plays. That's the position I have been trained in through the youth team at Bayern and that is the position I have played my best games in for Bayern and England. That is the position where I think my future lies.

What kind of things do you do in your spare time?

Kolow, England

I watch a lot of the NBA - I was in Phoenix over Christmas and watched a game over there. I follow the Phoenix Suns because my friend Steve Nash plays for them. It used to be the Chicago Bulls but Michael Jordan doesn't play there any more. I watch a lot of television - things like CSI and that sort of stuff, and comedies like The Office. I spend a lot of time in hotels and on the road so I watch a lot of DVDs on my laptop, listen to a lot of music and I like to read a good book. And I like to go for late dinners.

I'm a huge fan of yours though I support Arsenal. Since you are playing in the land of automobile excellence, which cars do you own and what is your dream car?

Marvin Oyoo, Nairobi, Kenya

We have Audi as a sponsor so I have a Q7 jeep and I have a Porsche as well. I'm lucky I have a big car for when it's snowing and a quick sports car when I'm on my own and go to the city and things. I'm happy with those two - I never expected to drive a Porsche so I'm pretty happy about that. I don't really have a dream car. I drive on the Autobahn all the time where you can go as fast you want. But I'm not a ridiculous driver.

Hey Owen, I was wondering which team did you support when you were a kid?

Thomas Zaqueu, Mozambique

I used to watch a show called Soccer Saturday on TV in Canada. It came on at 7am because of the time difference and at the time Liverpool were the big team with Steve McManaman, Robbie Fowler and John Barnes. We only had one game every Saturday and it was always the big team so I grew up watching a lot of Liverpool. I was a big Steve McManaman fan as a kid.

#

Every week Owen will be answering a selection of your questions in his column. So, using the postform at the top of this column on the right, send us your questions and we will put some of them to the England international.

<mod>When posting articles please make sure to have a link.

Archived