Beckham to MLS.

Free kick

Props to Beckham though for being so level-headed during all his interviews. He doesn't expect to have an easy time-of-it in MLS nor does he expect himself to have a huge impact in the growth of soccer here.

It's refreshing listening to Beckham after you hear those other muppets yapping away (namely, Garber and Yallop). From them you hear things like "Beckham is in the prime of his career", "Beckham has been still playing very well for Real Madrid."

Is any soccer fan buying that crap??

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

Most comments are missing the real issue: Beckham not winning anything at REal Madrid had a lot to do with the nature of his signing, which meant he had to play by decree because it sold shirts and helped with marketing money being generated for the club.

So the principle of playing the best players for the game to get the best result was ignored, as everyone is doing here. And this connects with the most important crisis in the history of the team. Too bad we at Barça are not intelligent enought to take full advantage.

How can any team sell tickets with the promise of seeing Beckham for sure playing for LA when that violates the fundamental principle of pro sport: you play who can help the team, not who is the media draw. All you can honestly say is that he will be on the called-up squad if healthy.

The same dishonesty has been perpetrated with Adu, who was a draw until his coach decided that he did not have the talent to start regularly.

If I were Yallop and I'd be told that Becks had to be played, I would resign. It is an anti-sport option that no self-respecting coach should accept.

And this is why the Beckham move is terrible for MLS, it demotes it as a sport and only moves money around a bit, most going to the star himself. It turns it into even more of a circus, reverts to everything bad about US sports, such as showtime in BB, which just masks the decline of US basketball with a lot of hype.

I personally hope that the whole deal is a miserable failure, and in fact think that it will be a failure. Because you violate a basic principle of sport and you will pay for it.

I have followed Beckham and still feel that he has all the ability in the world,still is only 31 and it seems to me that he also has the devotion to contribute to the sport in many ways and especially here.I am quite a suspicious guy and yes shades of the NASL are all over the place,but this signing already has accomplished a lot for soccer without even kicking that ball.The media response has been utterly tremendous and sometimes even overdone,but there it is,our dream poster boy who is also a very good and it seems a very nice soccer player.So being Yallop and I wonder if it ever crossed his mind that he would be coaching this guy, i would stick to what you know and stay that course.

I don't think that Frank would accept to be told to play him and I don't believe that this would not even be necessary.One thing about soccer it shows when you are no good immediately.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I have followed Beckham and still feel that he has all the ability in the world,still is only 31 and it seems to me that he also has the devotion to contribute to the sport in many ways and especially here.

Beckham never had 'all the ability in the world'. He'll still get the occasional spectacular free-kick goal in MLS and probably be the league's best passer even though he is a good 5-6 years passed his prime. But he is no longer one of the top 50 players in the world.

It's funny when I see people say "he is only 31". Not every soccer player peaks at precisely the same age. Some peak early, others peak late. Beckham is clearly an example of a player who peaked early. You can think of him as more like a 35 year old considering his game has been on a steady decline for 5+ seasons now.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Beckham never had 'all the ability in the world'. He'll still get the occasional spectacular free-kick goal in MLS and probably be the league's best passer even though he is a good 5-6 years passed his prime. But he is no longer one of the top 50 players in the world.

Neither was Pele when he came over at a much more advanced stage in his career, but he still had quite the impact.

Whether people think it will benefit the league in the long run or not, there's no doubt that right now the profile of the league has gone up in the US. For the first time Major League Soccer is being counted by general sports casters as one of the major leagues...

Hey I told you guys it is all about that media.We have to be accepted as one of the main players in pro sports in N.A.

I just saw an extensive series of socer skills on goal t.v orchestrated by Beckham and i found this very very good stuff.He certainly has all the great skills and with these soccer schools or school he has he will make a tremendous impact.All that for free as well,which surprised me even more.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Neither was Pele when he came over at a much more advanced stage in his career, but he still had quite the impact.

Of course, at that time there was no international soccer on TV. None whatsoever! I know people who would drive 300 kilometeres just to see a world cup match televised on a big screen TV in Madison Square Garden -- because that was the only way to see a soccer match (and that was only possible for one month every 4 years).

quote:

Whether people think it will benefit the league in the long run or not, there's no doubt that right now the profile of the league has gone up in the US. For the first time Major League Soccer is being counted by general sports casters as one of the major leagues...

Nah! Not a single MLS fan has been created during the past 3 days. I expect some MLS fans will be created during the next year or two, but nowhere near enough to elevate the MLS to major league status.

What is wrong with becominga sport with major status in the USA. Or for that matter what is stopping this from happening. Are there forces beyond our control who decide that or is the appathy according to you so big that this MLS fan thing is just a dream not to come through.What would you recommend to make this happen,meaning the major status in N.A sports. We seem to have millions of kids playing soccer,we seem to have the money guys,we seem to have soccer specific stadiums shortly and we seemed to have gained the respect from other soccer nations. We also have between our two countries I suspect close to a thousent kids affiliated with European teams.The girls are up at the world top and TV contracts are there or in the making.

Of course, at that time there was no international soccer on TV. None whatsoever!

Yeah...and your point is......?

quote:

Nah!

Yeah!

quote:

Not a single MLS fan has been created during the past 3 days.

Are you trying to suggest that all of the thousands of seasons tickets that have been sold across NA were bought by scalpers, all of whom you happen to know personally?

If not, don't bother with the silly attempt at "definitive" statements like above.

When Beckham's salary was announced many US broadcasters placed it within the context of the "5 major pro sports leagues" - that's the first time I had seen MLS referred to as such. That's what I am referring to by "major league" status.

Yeah...and your point is......?

So it was a chance in a lifetime to see these unknown players. This creates more intrigue.

Its the same with hockey. Compare the summit series in 1972 or even the Canada Cups in 1983, 1987 (ie. before we saw Russians regularily on TV in the NHL) with the recent World Cups. Not even close to the same level of excitement is generated in recent hockey World Cups when Canada meets Russia.

quote:

Are you trying to suggest that all of the thousands of seasons tickets that have been sold across NA were bought by scalpers, all of whom you happen to know personally?

If not, don't bother with the silly attempt at "definitive" statements like above.

When Beckham's salary was announced many US broadcasters placed it within the context of the "5 major pro sports leagues" - that's the first time I had seen MLS referred to as such. That's what I am referring to by "major league" status.

I've also heard a muppet say Beckham is still in his prime and another muppet saying he is playing very well for Real Madrid. Do you buy those statements too?

Anyone who thinks this transfer creates a bridge that connects N.American soccer to the rest of the world is living in dreamland. :D

quote:Originally posted by john tv

What is wrong with becominga sport with major status in the USA. Or for that matter what is stopping this from happening.

The same thing that has stopped it from happening for over 100 years.

quote:

We seem to have millions of kids playing soccer,we seem to have the money guys,we seem to have soccer specific stadiums shortly and we seemed to have gained the respect from other soccer nations.

MLS is still perceived as a total joke to the rest of the world. At least to those who have heard of it. Do you think people would suddenly start taking the league in Qatar seriously if Beckham went over there instead.

See, you only *think* that this has a huge impact on MLS and the soccer world because you live here. It's like those spazzos who get over-excited everytime an MLS team beats or draws with a European giant in those preseason friendlies.

quote:

We also have between our two countries I suspect close to a thousent kids affiliated with European teams.

Means nothing. The reason is left to you as an exercise.

quote:

The girls are up at the world top and TV contracts are there or in the making.

Yes, soccer is perceived as a girl's sport in this continent. You are starting to see the light finally. ;)

Guest Jeffery S.

I am not saying that anyone associated with the strong leagues of the world thinks MLS is a "joke". They just know it is quite inferior to England, or Spain, or even France I'd say. This is like Beckham going to a solid middle to high league, like Belgium or Denmark, in terms of soccer level. Even if a player opts to go to Argentina from Europe, folks know the level is good, but everyone knows that the money is a step down. So it is just realism, not scorn on MLS.

So people who are interested in the game recognize that in terms of image and marketing it could be positive for the game in North America, but noone kids themselves that this is a major contribution to the game, as played on the field. I don't think that Beckham will stand out as the best player at Galaxy, even though I acknowledge he is an honest worker, with limited scope on the pitch, and can do a few things that are important.

The only way you can break the idea of MLS's lower level is to see MLS teams regularly winning in Concacaf club competitons, or getting to the world club cup. Which is a long process, could take decades to get there. Or else, with stronger contracts, attracting the top stars in the world when young and not just when close to retiring.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am not saying that anyone associated with the strong leagues of the world thinks MLS is a "joke". They just know it is quite inferior to England, or Spain, or even France I'd say. This is like Beckham going to a solid middle to high league, like Belgium or Denmark, in terms of soccer level. Even if a player opts to go to Argentina from Europe, folks know the level is good, but everyone knows that the money is a step down. So it is just realism, not scorn on MLS.

So people who are interested in the game recognize that in terms of image and marketing it could be positive for the game in North America, but noone kids themselves that this is a major contribution to the game, as played on the field. I don't think that Beckham will stand out as the best player at Galaxy, even though I acknowledge he is an honest worker, with limited scope on the pitch, and can do a few things that are important.

The only way you can break the idea of MLS's lower level is to see MLS teams regularly winning in Concacaf club competitons, or getting to the world club cup. Which is a long process, could take decades to get there. Or else, with stronger contracts, attracting the top stars in the world when young and not just when close to retiring.

So it was a chance in a lifetime to see these unknown players. This creates more intrigue.

So now it's a chance in a lifetime to see known players. Sheesh!

I don't think Pele, Beckenbauer, Carlos Alberto etc. were as "unknown" as you might think.

quote:

I've also heard a muppet say Beckham is still in his prime and another muppet saying he is playing very well for Real Madrid. Do you buy those statements too?

Whether I buy their statements or not is irrelevant. The point is that this is the first time that statements which are counting MLS as a major league are being made by the general sports public. They are putting MLS on the sporting map in the US for the first time. The significance is not in the accuracy of the statements, but the fact that the statements are being made in the first place.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Right. In the end, MLS has to prove itself on the field otherwise it is just another circus like the XFL and NASL.

With the current mind-set I don't see any growth happening anytime soon. I mean, each team gets to aquire 2 "special" players that don't count towards the salary cap. And the Galaxy use those spots on very average players. New York will probably waste their spots on an average Ronaldo and some other ageing player. And most other teams can't afford to have any "special" players or their cities simply won't appeal to any stars currently living in Europe.

I think it's gonna be the NASL all over. But I will be sure to pull myself away from the EPL, La Liga and Champions League every few months to take a peak at what's happening in MLS-land ... just for the laugh. [:P]

John Doyle, the TV and occasional soccer writer for the Globe and Mail, has an interesting column today. I don't know how much of it I agree with, but the last paragraph is priceless:

quote:The Beckham blip will be fun. But Beckham will be famous for being famous. He'll be the Paris Hilton of the American sports world — rich, blond, beautiful, none too bright and shrewd about the matter of staying famous. He's so L.A.

Link

quote:Originally posted by marktci

John Doyle, the TV and occasional soccer writer for the Globe and Mail, has an interesting column today. I don't know how much of it I agree with, but the last paragraph is priceless:

Link

One of the quotes in the article:

"Sure, Beckham is going to sell season tickets for many MLS teams and sell a lot of replica shirts for the Galaxy. But soccer is a cult sport here and has nothing near the financial power, or powerful emotional grip on the American imagination, that baseball, basketball and football have.

American culture is steeped in its own sports and the ethos of those sports. Sports heroism, both on TV and in the movies, and in ordinary life in towns and cities across the United States, is defined on baseball diamonds, football fields and basketball courts. Soccer is an outsider sport, a thing for kids, immigrants and progressive weirdos."

Thoughts:

I think that he has missed the point. Nobody involved in soccer in he US or Canada ( Mls or otherwise) has ever contented that the sport desirs or can ever surplant Baseball, basketball, football or hockey. All it needs to do is carve out a niche to survive just fine and there are, to quote the author, enough " outsiders, kids, immigrants and progressive weirdos" to do just fine. There are approximately 330-350 million people in Canada and the US and if you can capture even a small sector of that audience, that would exceed the audiences in most European or SA countries

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

[brI think that he has missed the point. Nobody involved in soccer in he US or Canada ( Mls or otherwise) has ever contented that the sport desirs or can ever surplant Baseball, basketball, football or hockey.

You mean supplant? well.. the thing is, of course, that nobody will actually say that. It's very aggressive for someone involved in MLS to say "we'll replace other major sports". In fact, it doesn't even make sense to say that. Afterall, even the NFL hasn't supplanted baseball and never will.

You mean supplant? well.. the thing is, of course, that nobody will actually say that. It's very aggressive for someone involved in MLS to say "we'll replace other major sports". In fact, it doesn't even make sense to say that. Afterall, even the NFL hasn't supplanted baseball and never will.

The NFL is a lot more popular than MLB.

Leaving the pedantry aside, the point being made is that nobody from MLS is predicting that this will vault domestic soccer into the same level (or above) as the three major team sports in the US, mainly because they don't believe that this will happen. Generally speaking the people accusing them of saying that or suggesting it are those people who either don't like Beckham, don't like the MLS or don't like soccer (or all three) and are just using it as an imaginary stick to beat North American pro soccer with.

Personally I believe that this move could help put soccer at the same level as hockey in the US (which is nowhere near the three aforemention team sports) and above basketball in Canada. Whether it will remais to be seen.

Leaving the pedantry aside, the point being made is that nobody from MLS is predicting that this will vault domestic soccer into the same level (or above) as the three major team sports in the US, mainly because they don't believe that this will happen. Generally speaking the people accusing them of saying that or suggesting it are those people who either don't like Beckham, don't like the MLS or don't like soccer (or all three) and are just using it as an imaginary stick to beat North American pro soccer with.

That's what frustrated me about an MSNBC reporter I heard on Prime Time tonight. He was going on and on about how it's not going to vault MLS into the position of a "major" NA sport. Ya, well no kidding. No intelligent person is going to believe that is going to happen.

It will help MLS consolidate and grow. Nobody expect miracles but many of the pundits are criticizing based on the assumption they make that miracles are expected.

That attitude is a problem.

Personally I believe that this move could help put soccer at the same level as hockey in the US (which is nowhere near the three aforemention team sports) and above basketball in Canada. Whether it will remains to be seen.

Hmmmm. On a par with hockey in the USA? Maybe. Bigger than basketball in Canada? Maybe. NBA is only really followed in Toronto and Raptors TV ratings are poor although as the team continues to improve, I would expect to see growth.

Certainly, TFC will never be able to match the Raptors as a revenue stream as long as they continue to be supported well. Forty games with 17k per game will forever outstrip 20k x 14 at BMO Field.

It's not impossible but I don't see it. I'm sure MLS would be more than happy to settle in at the #5 position on the team sport list. As long as they're ahead of Arena Football and Lacrosse, they should be realistically content, IMHO anyway.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

It's not impossible but I don't see it. I'm sure MLS would be more than happy to settle in at the #5 position on the team sport list. As long as they're ahead of Arena Football and Lacrosse, they should be realistically content, IMHO anyway.

In the US that's what I expect will happen, and yes, I think they'll be happy for the big 4 to be considered a "big 5" - which is what I was reporting as starting to happen in the wake of the Beckham signing. The lack of US MLS franchises (as compared to hockey) is (IMO) a big impediment to soccer surpassing hockey in popularity as a team sport. Certainly it is the only one of the top 4 that I can see it having a chance at in that country.

In Canada it's a bit different, I see the weakest of the 4 (basketball) as being more reachable, because there's just one pro team.

I personally hope that the whole deal is a miserable failure, and in fact think that it will be a failure. Because you violate a basic principle of sport and you will pay for it.

As I indicated earlier, suppose that (instead spending 250 Mil) the MLS decided to launch a massive $250 Mil marketing campaign to promote their sport. Would there be any objection to that idea? or would such a campaign yield a greater long term benefit? I dont think so. Roughly 80% TorontoFC's season tickets were sold before the annoucement. The recent push is nothing more than icing on the cake. Plus, I do not see how the motivation or impact of getting Beckham in the MLS is any different than that of Real Madrid in acquiring him from Manchester United.

I agree with an earlier post from Grizzly that this is a player that, due to his celebrity status, has been overrated all of his career. But he is still a high quality player. Ultimately he will dress up and have to play in the league. I don't get it when some say that he is over the hill and washed up. Just six months ago he was a a starter and captain of a WC side that played amongst the best 16 sides in the world. Not to mention numerous Euro championships, champions league etc etc. There shouldn't be any doubt that he can help any team and make a big contribution. Like very many big deals in europe, its business move with soccer implications. Again, I dont see the difference between this deal and the one that sent him from Man U to Real Madrid

One thing we should not overlook with TFC is that we are in a culture where soccer teams typically exagerate attendances and that even those in attendance often have giveaway tickets. TFC has sold over 10 000 season tickets for real money including 7 000 before the Beckham deal was announced and that is quite an accomplishment in North American soccer.

If I were Yallop and I'd be told that Becks had to be played, I would resign. It is an anti-sport option that no self-respecting coach should accept.

Well lets look at the flip side. For many years, the Hartrells ( a mom and pop operation by professional soccer standards) sold their players to Scandinavian leagues for sums in the 50K range. An operator like Saputo was more shrewed and held on to his assets. Some of these former Lynx players took a while to get established as starters. Do you think that their Scandinavian coaches would have dared sit them on the bench if their club had paid, for example, 1Mill$ for these players? furthermore doesnt this ( the fact that they are sold cheap) hinder their professional development?

Archived