Beckham to MLS.

Free kick

Very good for David Beckham. Let's not forget that this player is still in his prime(despite what many pundits have said). He will come over and make a difference for soccer in this continent. As usual, us in the north will be forced to hope for the best in the USA, and then ride their coat tails.

He is a class act through and through, and deserves all the best. Hopefully Frank will know how to deal with him.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine.. I spent 200$ for season tickets. This story made front page headlines and lenghty discussion in just about every sports medium in North america. Even the CBC news reported this story. Now imaging how much my investment in season tickets is worth. I could probably sell my ticket to that one game for probably 2 to 3 times the cost of the entire package....

Toronto FC has sent out an e-mail saying:

quote:Though the schedule has not been released, it has been confirmed that the Galaxy will play in Toronto later in the season, giving our fans the chance to watch Beckham live!

We sold over 200 season tickets in the first few hours of this announcement.

200 tossers from Scarborough more like it.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

probably not [8D]

*LOL* I think you are exaggerating a tad. Even a Real Madrid champions league match wouldn't cost anything close to that. Not to mention, Beckham has visited North America numerous times while with Man United and Real Madrid. The slogan "this is your one chance to see a soccer superstar in this part of the world" no longer applies.

The Beckham effect - although noticeable - will not be that big. It's not like the NASL days where World Cups, Champions League, etc weren't even on television over here. Now we can watch world class soccer players whenever we want.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

*LOL* I think you are exaggerating a tad. Even a Real Madrid champions league match wouldn't cost anything close to that. Not to mention, Beckham has visited North America numerous times while with Man United and Real Madrid. The slogan "this is your one chance to see a soccer superstar in this part of the world" no longer applies.

The Beckham effect - although noticeable - will not be that big. It's not like the NASL days where World Cups, Champions League, etc weren't even on television over here. Now we can watch world class soccer players whenever we want.

Real Madrid plays in Madrid a minimum of bi-weekly in an 80 000 seat stadium. Scarcity creates demand and Beckham will be playing one game in Toronto in a 25 000 seat stadium. There is a big difference between Beckham's previous North American appearances which were all in meaningless exhibition games in large cities with large stadiums. None of these games were played in Toronto or most of the other MLS cities. There will be a huge demand for tickets in the cities with mid-sized soccer specific stadiums like Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I would not be surprised if not only all the Galaxy home games were sold out, but if all the road games were sold at too once Beckham arrives.

hmm... well, I definitely agree with the first part of that statement. Of course, last year LA Galaxy averaged around 20,000 a game in a pretty small stadium, so it won't take much more to sell-out.

Don't see him selling-out all road games.

quote:

The Beckham effect will be as big or bigger than the NASL days.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

There is a big difference between Beckham's previous North American appearances which were all in meaningless exhibition games in large cities with large stadiums.

So you think MLS games mean something? Did they change the playoff format? A quick look at MLS attendances over the past 12 years shows that Dallas FC v San Jose; RBNY v Chicago, Columbus v New England, etc. means nothing to Americans.

Selling a few thousand extra seats is never gonna recoup the $1m/week price-tag of Beckham. All the money is in TV anyway and this deal won't have much impact in that area.

They paid way too much for him. They could've gotten him for much cheaper since he didn't have many options left for himself anyway.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Selling a few thousand extra seats is never gonna recoup the $1m/week price-tag of Beckham. All the money is in TV anyway and this deal won't have much impact in that area.

They paid way too much for him. They could've gotten him for much cheaper since he didn't have many options left for himself anyway.

You can't buy this kind of publicity (although it's as close as you can get to doing so). Was there a *Canadian* newspaper where this wasn't front-page news?

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

You can't buy this kind of publicity (although it's as close as you can get to doing so). Was there a *Canadian* newspaper where this wasn't front-page news?

As amacpher pointed out, they could've gotten Beckham for much less than what they paid. No club in Europe seemed to have wanted him and the only other option was Japan where the fan support is bigger and more passionate than MLS.

The thing is the MLS did their television deal with ABC/ESPN before Beckham was signed. Had they held off till now, MLS would have far more leverage in terms of coverage on the networks. ABC/ESPN just got away with highway robbery as the deal will outlast Beckham's contract.

The only benefit is in season ticket sales (A couple of hundred dollars for one game) based on the idea that Beckham will make at least one game in each city.

That's rather short sighted in terms of analysis. I do think Beckham could have received more interest in Europe if he so wished, but has made his mind up to take America by storm. You'd think we were talking about a 40yr old the way some of guys are going on. Beckham can still play at a decent level. If you think he was England's worst player in the World Cup, then we obviously have difft views.

There were alot of things outside of football that brought Beckham his celebrity lifestyle, but football (namely, playing for a big club team while captaining England) was still at the root of everything he is. It's no wonder Beckham is no longer the hottest or most popular footballer in the world anymore, even though he and his wife is just as good looking as ever. Now that he moved from the Madrid bench to LA he'll drift closer to oblivian.

I'm watching some of the reaction of this Beckham move on TV and people are talking as if this will create a bridge to join soccer in North America to soccer in Europe and South America. That's wishful thinking to say the least.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

That's rather short sighted in terms of analysis. I do think Beckham could have received more interest in Europe if he so wished, but has made his mind up to take America by storm. You'd think we were talking about a 40yr old the way some of guys are going on. Beckham can still play at a decent level. If you think he was England's worst player in the World Cup, then we obviously have difft views.

A good many football pundits are convinced that Beckham could have returned to the EPL, maybe play for a club like Newcastle or something similar, have an impact on a young squad in the same way as a Shearer etc. Though I think that his move to MLS will be good for MLS, the lads still got some good soccer left in his bones...Is $250 million too much? Sort of seems like it, but bigger business minds than ours made this deal. They might be on to something. The proof will be in the pudding. Short term: the impact hasn't been too shabby at all.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I have to agree with Ed on this one. Beckham was overrated even in his prime and his skills are starting to decline. Yet he would still be a solid addition to a mid table Premiership or La Liga club. However, playing for Celta Vigo or Reading isn't going to do much for Beckham from a marketing standpoint and probably won't sit well with his ego since he has previously played for the top teams in these leagues.

And yes Amacpher I do think MLS games mean something even if I would prefer they went to a single table and got rid of the playoffs. The snobbery towards MLS especially from Europeans and Euro wannabees is really irritating. Why does it always get compared to the top 5 leagues in Europe? Compare it to the 2nd tier European leagues, ie. the majority of European 1st divisions, and the MLS has a comparable playing and attendance level.

There is a difference between the Pele move and the Beckham move too. It is that Pele was more a mythical figure that many North Americans had heard of but had not seen play. Beckham on the other hand is already over exposed. It will be interesting to see what that difference means in marketing potential terms.

In order to fill those stands it is vitally important that the media will do articles on the upcoming game.This creates the interest that is so vitally important.With Beckham coming to (any) town the media has simply no choice but to do an artcle or more, as well as the electronic media.This was and always has been lacking with all the pro soccer teams in this town. The media always took the attitude that they were not in the business to promote a game. Show me the figures.Show me a full stadium and we will come ,they said and gat away with till now.It was extremely frustrating to be against this protective attitude.They were not interested at all to say the least.With Beckham the Spice girls connection etc,they can't ignore this at all or any longer. This is very obvious the way this thing is being picked up. All what matters in soccer or any other sport is the pre game publicity.The more extensive the better.

That's why Beckham is so important,they simply cannot ignore this.Hey I really think we should make it a big deal that his coach is a Canadian,if he is still there that is. This is a headline by itself.I can just see it,Yallop benches Beckham.

That Spice clout is very important and who knows as I said before it is the girls that will make the difference,never dreaming that this was one of the major angles.

So far so brilliantly good. That media is being cranked up and hopefully no more frustrations but acceptance by all,I will accept Bobby Macgowan,the lone anti soccer wolf as he openly admits and even promotes,others well it is changing,thanks Spicy Lady!

Archived