Olivier Babineau signed in France

loyola

According to MOACA at BigSoccer, Olivier Babineau who's in our U-20 MNT players pool and played with Université de Montréal last fall (wasn't a starter) has signed with Football Croix de Savoie 74 in France CFA Groupe B (which would be the 4th division).

Here's a link that was provided by another poster:

http://croixsavoie.free.fr/

Here's a pictures of Olivier:

http://www.croixdesavoie.com/mambo/saison-2005-2006/actualites/babineau-conclut-le-mercato.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is this guy serious? With 60 teams above and about 80 teams in Div 4, I doubt it would be better then the U-20 level. Talking a good game to impress his new fans?

[quote

Babineau is quote saying that the 4th division in France (CFA) is a better level than the "international junior level".

quote:Originally posted by MM2

Is this guy serious? With 60 teams above and about 80 teams in Div 4, I doubt it would be better then the U-20 level. Talking a good game to impress his new fans?

[quote

Babineau is quote saying that the 4th division in France (CFA) is a better level than the "international junior level".

Canada U-20's tied Trinity Western University (2nd in Canada in 2006) in last may 1-1 prior to their games against Brazil. I'm not saying this result is a perfect indication of the level of Canada U-20's but I think Babineau might be right with his comments. CFA is compose of 1st and 2nd French division clubs reserves teams, that's not a bad league at all.

If you looks at who compose the Canadian team you'll see that for the exception of Edgar, Peters and Johnson the others players are either playing with European clubs youth teams, reserves or the NCAA/NTC which let me to believe that Canada U-20's would be a at the same level as Babineau's team in France.

I don't think it makes a huge difference but Babineau's comments are base on what he saw as an U-19 players, U-20 is this year, so the level might be a bit higher this year.

Yeah he didn't say the level was better. He also said it was more physical. I have seen CFA games and he's actually right.

As one of you pointed out, those divisions have the pro teams' reserves. And as Babineau said in the article, his division is the toughest in the league.

And Montreal U. lost to Trinity Western but according to most, it isin't cause TWU was better. And Montreal U. went to France to play CFA and lesser teams and the games were tight.

Anyways the coach at Montreal was a di** with him apparently so it's good that he is able to play elsewhere. That might be why he wasn't invited to some of the games considering the fact he basically wasted his fall season.

Anyways... Hopefully he'll make the squad cause he's definately a good player.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am thinking about this, find it odd as well. Perhaps in France the pace is high in general, perhaps lower division has a lot of African imports on their way up and that raises the physical level, or maybe a lot of sharp veterans who make the kids look slow, no idea.

You can take the u-18 national team of Spain and stick them in third tier as a club, in a league format, and they would likely have trouble in their division. I think the u-20s would possibly be good enough to play in 2nd division if they were a club, the u-18s in third tier.

I am saying this as a lot of B teams of 1st division sides play in Spain third tier, many with some of the top youth players on them, and I am not sure any underage national team could handle the experience of some sides, the tactical intelligence, the physical maturity even.

Archived