CSA MNT coach search

This is absurd. Since Yallop left, we will have had 3 games, 1 camp and no coach. Don't look now but WCQ starts in 1 year. These past friendlies were the perfect opportunity for a new coach to familiarize himself with our players and be ready to take the Gold Cup serioursly, not like a training session. Bringing in a new coach a couple of months from now leaves him no time and no fixtures to get ready for this summer. This pisses me off. Plus...the longer we wait, it seems more likely to me that either Stephen Hart or Dale Mitchell will get the job. This pisses me off even more. I don't think the team has looked organized under Hart, and even though I like Mitchell, timing dictates that he should not get the job this time around.

So what are we left with? A bunch of players with no direction. My new found optimism of a couple months ago is already starting to wane. I want some news and I want it now!!

Agreed. It's especially painful when contrasted against the astute moves and solid management demonstrated by Toronto FC so far. Mo Johnson and company have been pure gold so far in developing a solid roster. Paul Beirne has been proactive and innovative. I know this is heresy for some, and I also know it will never happen for a whole lot of good reasons, but I almost wish that MLSE could just run the whole Mens National Team program, and leave the CSA to manage recreational soccer and the women's team, and brag about their registration numbers. At least MLSE would do things in a professional manner.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Is Mo himself a candidate?

Normally I would say "no" but it was Kevan Pipe who explicitly said that Frank Yallop would not be permitted to coach both Toronto FC and the MNT, but now that he is out I'm not sure if the door on that issue would be re-opened.

quote:Originally posted by thepatriot

Normally I would say "no" but it was Kevan Pipe who explicitly said that Frank Yallop would not be permitted to coach both Toronto FC and the MNT, but now that he is out I'm not sure if the door on that issue would be re-opened.

The way things are seemingly going (or not going) they might as well open the door to that possibility.

Mo should not be a candidate. First of all the only reason that could justify having someone do both jobs is if we got someone really great who we could not afford and had to split the salary with MLS in order to pay him, ie. not Mo. Second and even more importantly Mo has neither the qualifications nor experience for the job. In fact his qualifications for even the MLS post were not that impressive and I think he got the job because MLS was still on the hook for his contract. This is not to say I don't think Mo has done a good job so far. In fact, I have been pleasantly surprised by his moves and also like the things he has said in interviews. However, do not forget we haven't seen him coach a single game with TFC and his other short coaching stints were not successful (although I am aware they were not in good situations). We know very little about his lineup selection, tactical formations and player relationships. Mo has no international coaching experience and very little professional coaching experience and thus is not a good candidate. If Mo coaches TFC for a couple of successful seasons he may indeed become a good candidate for the post but at the moment he is not.

Mo could raise some capital and raise interest in the nats by having a series of regional $10/$20/$100/? a head national team try-outs. Would be a good way to bypass the somewhat narrow focus of the NTC programs and also get some more media interest.

I must admit that preparations for Toronto FC have been really good. The roster is taking shape, although I would like to see more Canadians from what they have so far. Although that being said, I think Mo should stay with the team in order to enforce his coaching experience and see where he takes the first Canadian MLS franchise.

As for the Canada MNT, I tired of waiting. The Gold Cup is soon to be and it is clear that the CSA is waiting for the World Cup U20 to occor so that the job can be given to Mitchell.

Although I belive that if the CSA has any desired to see the MNT qualify to 2010, the program has to start this month in January... Almost every other CONCACAF nation has started their programs (some looking more promising than others).

I would hate to see Canada crash and burn at the 2007 Gold Cup, because we had such a horrible preparation. The core of the MNT has to start at the latest on this month.

This is why I was asking if anyone knew about the CSA's search. We have to get somebody good and soon. Canada should start investing more on the MNT than previous years!

That is precisely my point...

We are not even sure that the CSA is looking, which frustrates me and other people that I know about.

I just feel that the CSA has to put more effort into this operation, I mean come on, we all want Canada to qualify to 2010...

They have to put an effort into this program like they never have before...

They can not put all their eggs only on the U20 Basket

quote:Originally posted by Canadiense

That is precisely my point...

We are not even sure that the CSA is looking, which frustrates me and other people that I know about.

I just feel that the CSA has to put more effort into this operation, I mean come on, we all want Canada to qualify to 2010...

They have to put an effort into this program like they never have before...

They can not put all their eggs only on the U20 Basket

Wow, it seems like you've jumped to a conclusion based on well analysed and sufficient research and data.

Sorry if I did sound over the top in my last reply...

I should not make any conclusions right of the bat like that.

I guess I am just frustrated that other nations in CONCACAF have their 2010 program under way, and it seems that we have not (or at least it looks like it is not).

These nations in CONCACAF are the ones that we have to be ready to compete in order to qualify, and we should be able to meet or pass their preparation programs...

I think the reason people are wondering is there have been no signs of a search plus Linford's comments about choosing a Canadian which in my opinion narrows the list of qualified candidates to one. I'm not saying that the CSA has to keep us informed of what they are doing but in all of the other CONCACAF countries that changed coaches there were rumours and signs that an active search was going on.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Mo could raise some capital and raise interest in the nats by having a series of regional $10/$20/$100/? a head national team try-outs. Would be a good way to bypass the somewhat narrow focus of the NTC programs and also get some more media interest.

I like it, Ed! Let's find the Vince Papale of Canadian soccer!;)

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

Yeah those countries are way better off than Canada is.

Evidently yes, in terms of the amount of money available out of the national association's budget to pay the salary of one national team coach.

I'll wager if a poll were conducted amongst the parents of the 750,000 registered youth players in Canada asking whether the CSA should spend $1.5 million on the salary for one national team coach or $150,000 for an adequate Canadian coach and invest the balance in making recreational soccer more readily accessible to ordinary folks, the answer would be overwhelmingly in favour of the latter. That's the real life dilemma the CSA faces because the CSA is ultimately accountable to the majority of its constituency, not a small clique of Voyageur enthusiasts.

quote:Originally posted by walrus

If we assessed each of those 750,000 registered youth players a loonie towards the salary of a national coach, what can we get for $750,000?

Try proposing that at your next provincial association AGM and see what reaction you get from member clubs and associations.
quote:Originally posted by Richard

I'll wager if a poll were conducted amongst the parents of the 750,000 registered youth players in Canada asking whether the CSA should spend $1.5 million on the salary for one national team coach or $150,000 for an adequate Canadian coach and invest the balance in making recreational soccer more readily accessible to ordinary folks, the answer would be overwhelmingly in favour of the latter. That's the real life dilemma the CSA faces because the CSA is ultimately accountable to the majority of its constituency, not a small clique of Voyageur enthusiasts.

well if real madrid conducted a poll and asked whether people would have preferred to sign David Beckham a few years ago from Man United for 25-27 million pounds or to make more seats available for games or to knock off a few Euros from ticket prices, i think many would have voted for the latter bc most people in spain saw beckham as an extremely overrated player. Yet real madrid did it anyways, and they had made back the total transfer fee in 2 hours thanks to shirt sales. Therefore benefitted greatly, as he won over fans and reporters alike, all the while madrid overtook Man Utd as the highest earning football team in the world.

You do whats best for your team, not what the average joe who knows nothing about soccer wants.

So I think it is all about money... And since we do not have enough then what are the chances then for us to make it to 2010... I am not saying that our hopes to qualification rely on good coach, but there's a lot depends on the choice that we make.

My point is that if our program does not get the proper preparation for this time around then I can almost bet that we will NOT make it to 2010 sadly so...

If we want the best for the MNT, then the CSA has to do all it can and more in order to make it qualify to the world's most prestegeious tournament.

What does the CSA really want? Does it want Canada in South Africa 2010?

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

well if real madrid conducted a poll and asked whether people would have preferred to sign David Beckham a few years ago from Man United for 25-27 million pounds or to make more seats available for games or to knock off a few Euros from ticket prices, i think many would have voted for the latter bc most people in spain saw beckham as an extremely overrated player. Yet real madrid did it anyways, and they had made back the total transfer fee in 2 hours thanks to shirt sales. Therefore benefitted greatly, as he won over fans and reporters alike, all the while madrid overtook Man Utd as the highest earning football team in the world.

You do whats best for your team, not what the average joe who knows nothing about soccer wants.

A world of difference between a commercial for profit sports entertainment business and a national soccer association there to serve its membership.