Canadian men’s national team heading to Florida

loyola

So according to Hart, the point of this camp is for the players to get familiar with eachother? What the hell does that matter when none of these players will be on the field come WCQ??? (not even deRo is a sure starter for me anymore).

This is so damned frustrating. does the CSA think its still 2005? The time to be calling in fringe players like Harmse and Mert is long gone. We should not be looking at more options to expand the pool at this point. The pool is fine, we already know who the best 30 players are. We should actually be making the pool smaller, we should be starting to make 'cuts' to the team.

The camp is not useless, but resources could be allocated more intelligently IMO.

Whatever happens with this camp is kind of moot to me. It has good and bad points...

The only thing I care about is the desire to see the CSA properly prepare for a tournament for once in the last 5 years, this meaning the GC obviously. 1 pre GC friendly would be an absolute joke. I think they should be scouring the globe right now to find a permanent coach in the next 2 or 3 months, then let him get us prepared for the Championships properly.

Somtimes it seems to me the CSA treats the GC like a friendly tourney.

The fact that Clarke and Nash were originally called and that guys like Mert and Harmse are still at least nominally in contention for the next cycle of WCQ really makes you wonder. We certainly have grown by leaps and bounds in depth as a program, but we still have a ways to go, as this weaker edges of this list gently remind us. Of course, Clarke and Nash would have been there for "leadership" much like Dasovic was still going to these meaningless camps near the end of his days, and their names being mentioned shouldn't raise too many alarms. Still...

All in all, its great to have as many of these mini-camps as possible, and though I wish that we would could play some kind of competitive match with these guys (really, how do you ultimately judge their overall potential without it?), it's certainly better than nothing.

If nothing else, it let's a few fringe players know they have not been forgotten.

Nice to see Jack Stewart has been called. I wasn't sure if that was going to be a one-off.

Bit I agree with those that say this is essentially a waste of time (unless our new coach is Mitchell or Hart, which there is a very good chance).

The rest of CONCACAF are playing quality friendlies at an amazing pace. Interesting to note that T&T are using a complete B-Team for their Gold Cup Qualifying campaign. These countries are developing talent and depth. I can't believe how many recognizable T&T international players now ply their trade in T&T's domestic league. Countries like Panama and Haiti are playing matches continually. Once again Canada will be going into official competition as the worst prepared country.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

If nothing else, it let's a few fringe players know they have not been forgotten.

Nice to see Jack Stewart has been called. I wasn't sure if that was going to be a one-off.

Bit I agree with those that say this is essentially a waste of time (unless our new coach is Mitchell or Hart, which there is a very good chance).

The rest of CONCACAF are playing quality friendlies at an amazing pace. Interesting to note that T&T are using a complete B-Team for their Gold Cup Qualifying campaign. These countries are developing talent and depth. I can't believe how many recognizable T&T international players now ply their trade in T&T's domestic league. Countries like Panama and Haiti are playing matches continually. Once again Canada will be going into official competition as the worst prepared country.

Part of the reason Canada doesn't get the preparation that a lot of Caribbean countries do for the Gold Cup is that we aren't forced to qualify. I think we should have to.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Year of uncertainty for Cdn soccer

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article.jsp?content=20070115_202702_5104

Note: a few factual errors, can you pick them out?

(CP) -- The Canadian men's soccer team headed to Florida on Monday, the first step in an uncertain 2007. Ranked 82nd in the world, sandwiched between Panama and Iraq, Canada enters the year without a head coach, CEO or technical director. A search for all three is ongoing.

While the Canadian men can look forward to the Gold Cup in June, no other games are scheduled at this stage. Interim coach Stephen Hart says efforts are underway to secure a match during the March international break.

I found two. :)

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Year of uncertainty for Cdn soccer

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article.jsp?content=20070115_202702_5104

Note: a few factual errors, can you pick them out?

(CP) -- The Canadian men's soccer team ...

...and Alen Marcina (Puerto Rico Islanders).

Marcina also spent time with a New Zealand team last year.

Jeff Clark (isn't it spelled Clarke?) and Martin Nash, both of the Vancouver Whitecaps, were invited to the camp but had to drop out through illness.

Is that more? I know Marcina's is.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

It would be nice to get some news on this camp.

Bah. :(

What? You mean like, have some Canadian sports media outlet report on the Canadian National Team? Sacrilege! Why, we might miss out on some vital coverage of Texas Hold'em, WWE, Pro Bowling, or All-American Sport Fishing.

Guest Jeffery S.

I have heard from Srdjan that the camp is going well, though he is unsure if it will mean any continuity for him with the national program. I don't think he had been involved with the program since 2003, as an under 21.

I thought maybe it was Hart's way of promoting him as a possible Canadian 2nd keeper for FC Toronto, since he is there with Sutton, but he did not seem to have that idea. Instead, with Wicks gone from the Whitecaps and Caig rehired, Srdjan is sure to to the no. 2 in Vancouver this season.

As for his CIS year, the general feeling was that UBC underacheived and lost some games to inferior sides, not living up to their championship season in 2005. He ended up missing some key UBC games when travelling with the Caps, a possible factor in the odd poor result.

Well here's a tid-bit of info. Camp is going well, weather has been nice. The Men's and U20 had a go on the pitch and ended up in a 3-0 victory for the old boys. They play a game again on Wednesday against a local side. The players split the game with most playing 45 min. Hainault played the first 45 in the middle of the back4 and was subbed back in for the remainding 15 min of the 2nd half, but in midfield and said he did surprisingly well. Had flashbacks of his youngeryears when Midfield was his position. Sorry that's all i got, cant even tell you who</u> scored...

Thanks to both of you.

Srdjan was invited because Tromso refused to release Stamatopoulos (and Ademolu). It would be surprising if he'll be in the plan for the next WCQ but you never know, an injury to Caig and he take his chance and things could change pretty quickly.

Good to hear about that Canada MNT vs Canada U-20 game, good prep for the young guys.

I can't see Srdjan being in either the national team or TFC's plans in the near future unless he has some sort of breakthrough season. Certainly TFC is not going to trust their backup position to someone who was the third string keeper on a USL team. His inclusion shows how weak we still are in depth of goalkeepers. I think Hart has him there because noone else was available other than Sutton, even the U-20's don't have their first choice keeper, and someone else was needed as a keeper for the practice sessions. Shows how important it is for us to get a few more USL teams in Canada so more keepers can be developed and so keepers like Srdjan can get a chance to play.

• 5 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I can't see Srdjan being in either the national team or TFC's plans in the near future unless he has some sort of breakthrough season. Certainly TFC is not going to trust their backup position to someone who was the third string keeper on a USL team. His inclusion shows how weak we still are in depth of goalkeepers. I think Hart has him there because noone else was available other than Sutton, even the U-20's don't have their first choice keeper, and someone else was needed as a keeper for the practice sessions. Shows how important it is for us to get a few more USL teams in Canada so more keepers can be developed and so keepers like Srdjan can get a chance to play.

The coaching staff feel that Srdjan outplayed Sutton at the camp. Perhaps Sutton was taking it easy, wheras Srdjan was trying to impress.

The coaches felt Serdjan was technically very strong, with better reflexes and shotblocking. His weakness may be high balls, and they are not sure how well he performs in pressure situations.

Jeffrey S may have been correct about Srdjan but lets not tell him because it may go to Jeffrey's head.

Guest Jeffery S.

All I can say I am happy to hear about Srdjan doing well. He was in the picture with our u-20s when he was that age, along with Rayner, Karim and Fernandes. He played in a club in the top division of Serbia, meaning he has seen the likes of your Partizans and Red Stars, and that a few years ago. We was scouted by Bayern Munich at the time (did I ever mention this?). Problem is that we have not seen him play, he has had few minutes at Whitecaps, and noone is sure that Canadian university play is high enough standard to judge (though his first year at UBC he was voted best keeper with the school winning the nationals, and last year one reason UBC did not do so well was that he was travelling with the Caps and they did not have him).

I am hoping that he gets some time in goal even when backing Caig this year, though not sure if that will interfere with his studies. But if TFC decides he is a legitimate option he will definitely be deserving, as at no time over the past years has he done anything to make you conclude he is a slouch in goal.

Apart from this, Srdjan is a wonderful guy with a great character, and when he gets his break it will not have happened to a finer person.

It's good to hear that we have another capable keeper. Of course Both of these guys were out of season and weren,t evaluated during games so it might be tough to judge who's the best but still it,s prety nice for Srdjan to know that the coaching staff was impress.

Archived