Canadian men’s national team heading to Florida

loyola

Men's National Team

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Canadian men’s national team heading to Florida

Coach Hart

OTTAWA (ONTARIO) – Canada’s men’s national team will take part in its first training camp this season under interim head coach Stephen Hart in Florida. Hart will run an 11-day camp from Jan. 15-25 in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

While the full roster has yet to be confirmed, it is expected that the list will comprise mostly of North American-based players who are out of season as well as a few European-based players who are on a break.

“Many of the players invited into this camp are on Winter break or are presently between their playing season,” says Hart. “We view this camp as an ideal opportunity for us to have these players in a training camp environment for an extended period - before they return to their clubs"

A full roster for the January camp is expected to be released later this week.

In FIFA’s 2006 year-end world rankings, Canada was the eighth-ranked country in the CONCACAF conference. Canada will look to improve its standings this summer when it takes part in the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States from June 6-24. From the tournament’s 16-year history (eight finals), Canada were Gold Cup champions in 2000.

Lets hope they can get a game in as well. Im sure there are dozens of little Carribean nations (qualifyed for the Carib nations cup or not) that would jump at the chance for a game against us. I would rather see somthing like Canada vs. Dominica than nothing at all.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

Lets hope they can get a game in as well. Im sure there are dozens of little Carribean nations (qualifyed for the Carib nations cup or not) that would jump at the chance for a game against us. I would rather see somthing like Canada vs. Dominica than nothing at all.

I agree 100%

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

Hear, Hear !!

In fact, we seem to have made zero progress in any of the departments that we expected progress. CEO, technical director, and MNT head coach all remain vacant with no timetable it seems. Plus, we have no friendlies planned for this year, despite Mr. Linford's promise to do so. Were his plans for changes serious, or is he just a bag of wind?

Or am I just being impatient?

If Dale Mitchell is hired in this fashion, I will be extremely disappointed. Not only because I don't believe he's the best person for the job, but because the CSA seems to have made little to no effort to find someone else. Mr. Linford saying that he wanted a Canadian coach effectively narrowed it down to Mitchell. I fear that Mr. Linford has shown the appearance of change, however that is all it is, appearance.

I sure hope I'm wrong.

I have to agree with Brennanfan. Although a high profile coach would definately have it's rewards down the road the CSA's main hurtle has always been the finance part of the equation. If money wasn't an issue, we could afford the big name coaches as well as play 10-15 friendlies per year. The cost of taking a roster + staff away 10-15 times a year and pay the relative staff would barely cover the salary of one "big boss". The point is I think the players know what the situation is with regards to Soccer in Canada and are somewhat comfortable/understanding with Hart or Mitchell as coach and would prefer more gelling time together on the pitch, more friendlies and camps than having the bragging rights of a saying our head coach is...

I tend to agree with BrennanFan too.

Our squad seems to be on a pretty good path right now (yes, improvements are always welcome), with (almost) everyone on board, playing well in a system that appears to suit us.

I wonder if we would better served to focus on improving preparation (in this same path) rather than hiring a foreign coach - who would likely break our program down, before rebuilding it in a new direction.

Interesting discussion though. Trinidad qualified with a hired gun coach (and time to rebuild the program), while Guatemala came very close to qualifying, with a great preparation program.

Some different names on the list (Harmse,Marcina, Williams, Mert, Stewart, Djekanovic). Good to see they are expanding the player pool.

Surprised Simpson is there. I thought he was hurt and K'Town would be in training. Oh wait ....., must be Dave Simpson!

Men's National Team

Monday, January 15, 2007

Canada’s men’s national team arrives in Florida

Brennan

OTTAWA (ONTARIO) – Canada’s men’s national team arrived in Florida today for an 11-day training camp with interim head coach Stephen Hart. Eighteen Canadian players will be in Fort Lauderdale, FL from Jan. 15-25.

“Many of the players invited into this camp are on Winter break or are presently between their playing season,” says Hart. “We view this camp as an ideal opportunity for us to have these players in a training camp environment for an extended period - before they return to their clubs.”

The camp includes nine players from Major League Soccer and three players from the United Soccer Leagues. Jim Brennan of Toronto FC is the most experienced player in the camp (43 caps). His four expansion teammates are Adam Braz, Chris Pozniak, Marco Reda and Greg Sutton. The other three Canadian MLS players are Dwayne de Rosario of MLS champions Houston Dynamo, Ante Jazic of the Los Angeles Galaxy, and Jack Stewart of Real Salt Lake. From the USL, Gabriel Gervais and Mesut Mert are both members of the Impact de Montréal while Srdjan Djekanovic is a member of the Vancouver Whitecaps. Djekanovic’s teammates Jeff Clarke and Martin Nash would have been in camp, too, but both cancelled because of illness.

Three of the other six players play on European teams while one plays in New Zealand. Andrew Hainault plays for FK Siad Most, Issey-Farran Nakajima plays for Vejle Boldklub, Dave Simpson plays for Sparta Praha, and Alen Marcina plays for the New Zealand Knights. The other two players, both unattached, are graduates of Canada’s Olympic U-23 team: Kevin Harmse and Johnny Sulentic.

While Brennan and de Rosario (36 caps) have plenty of international experience, only four other players have more than 10 caps: Braz (10), Gervais (10), Jazic (16) and Pozniak (17). Six players in this camp have never been capped with the full national team: goalkeeper Djekanovic, defender Stewart, midfielders Harmse and Mert, and forwards Marcina and Simpson.

In FIFA’s 2006 year-end world rankings, Canada was the eighth-ranked country in the CONCACAF conference. Canada will look to improve its standings this summer when it takes part in the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States from June 6-24. The tournament will feature its biggest prize pool ever since CONCACAF has announced prizes have more than doubled for all winners and qualifiers in the 12-team tournament. From the tournament’s 16-year history (eight finals), Canada were Gold Cup champions in 2000.

NAME / Age / Hometown / Team / Pos.

NOM / Age / Ville natal / Équipe / Pos.

Adam Braz / 26 / St-Laurent, QC, Canada / Toronto FC / D

Jim Brennan / 30 / Newmarket, ON, Canada / Toronto FC / M

Dwayne de Rosario / 29 / Scarborough, ON, Canada / Houston Dynamo / F

Srdjan Djekanovic / 24 / Vancouver, BC, Canada / Vancouver Whitecaps / G

Gabriel Gervais / 30 / Brossard, QC, Canada / Impact de Montréal / D

Andrew Hainault / 21 / Hudson, QC, Canada / FK Siad Most / D

Kevin Harmse / 23 / Vancouver, BC, Canada / / M

Ante Jazic / 31 / Bedford, NS, Canada / Los Angeles Galaxy / D

Alen Marcina / 27 / Surrey, BC, Canada / New Zealand Knights / F

Mesut Mert / 29 / Halifax, NS, Canada / Impact de Montréal / M

Issey-Farran Nakajima / 23 / Calgary, AB, Canada / Vejle Boldklub / M

Chris Pozniak / 26 / Aurora, ON, Canada / Toronto FC / D

Marco Reda / 30 / Woodbridge, ON, Canada / Toronto FC / D

Adrian Serioux / 28 / Scarborough, ON, Canada / Dallas FC / M

Dave Simpson / 24 / Scarborough, ON, Canada / Sparta Praha / F

Jack Stewart / 24 / Torrance, CA, United States / Real Salt Lake / D

Johnny Sulentic / 27 / Vancouver, BC, Canada / / M

Greg Sutton / 30 / Montréal, QC, Canada / Toronto FC / G

Building our player pool is important. But when the CSA already has a shoestring budget, is it smart to spend the money on B Camps?? Not even games, but camps! What we need right now is more time for our A team to be together, games for our A team on every international match day. Until that happens, I think these B camps are not the wisest allocation of funds.

Year of uncertainty for Cdn soccer

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article.jsp?content=20070115_202702_5104

Note: a few factual errors, can you pick them out?

(CP) -- The Canadian men's soccer team headed to Florida on Monday, the first step in an uncertain 2007. Ranked 82nd in the world, sandwiched between Panama and Iraq, Canada enters the year without a head coach, CEO or technical director. A search for all three is ongoing.

While the Canadian men can look forward to the Gold Cup in June, no other games are scheduled at this stage. Interim coach Stephen Hart says efforts are underway to secure a match during the March international break.

With most European leagues hard at it, Hart elected not to call up most of his European-based talent for the current Florida camp. So nine of the 18 players summoned will call the Major League Soccer home this summer, including five from the expansion Toronto FC.

"It was more or less the players that are not playing, to give them the opportunity to be seen," Hart said Monday from Fort Lauderdale. "Gives us a chance to sort of explain to them basically what's happening with Canadian soccer.

"Really and truly just to give them a chance to become familiar with each other."

The camp runs through Jan. 25. Bad weather delayed some players from arriving on time Monday.

The only players invited to camp with double-digit caps are Toronto FC midfielder Jim Brennan (43 caps), Houston Dynamo forward Dwayne De Rosario (36), Toronto FC defender Chris Pozniak (17), Los Angeles Galaxy defender Ante Jazic (16) and defenders Gabriel Gervais of the Montreal Impact and Adam Braz of Toronto FC, both with 10.

Six invitees have never been capped: goalkeeper Srdjan Djekanovic (Vancouver Whitecaps), defender Jack Stewart (Real Salt Lake), midfielders Mesut Mert (Montreal Impact) and Kevin Harmse (unattached) and forwards Dave Simpson (Sparta Praha) and Alen Marcina (Puerto Rico Islanders).

Marcina also spent time with a New Zealand team last year.

Stewart, who was in camp last year under then coach Frank Yallop, was born in California but has a Canadian passport through a parent.

Jeff Clark and Martin Nash, both of the Vancouver Whitecaps, were invited to the camp but had to drop out through illness.

Hart agreed to take charge of this camp, although his tenure as acting coach was only supposed to last for three games -- two against Jamaica and one against Hungary -- and until the end of 2006. He says he still has an interest in the full-time job.

The Canadian under-20 team is also training in Fort Lauderdale under coach Dale Mitchell.

Archived