Offside Rule

Guest speedmonk42

Guest speedmonk42

Is it just me or is the offside rule being called .... well ....wtf.

Sometimes they call it when the plyaer touches the ball, other times they don't wait until the player touches. It seem inconsistent.

I have this feeling of dread that its a grey area we are going to get screwed on come qualifying.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Is it just me or is the offside rule being called .... well ....wtf.

Sometimes they call it when the plyaer touches the ball, other times they don't wait until the player touches. It seem inconsistent.

I have this feeling of dread that its a grey area we are going to get screwed on come qualifying.

Hey you! I was going to start a thread discussing a review of the offside rule over 2006 (both from professional and amateur perspectives) but you beat me to it. Good on you!

I haven't been watching taped games lately for the primary purpose of noting the offside decisions, but one thing I have thought about is how it seems that teams don't appear to utilize fully the offensive advantage of this grey area. For instance, a player in an offside position has a diagonal ball passed to him, he dummies it allowing instead for an onside flank midfielder to run onto it. The original pass causes that moment of hesitation where the back line thinks they have pulled off the trap, and then suddenly they have to scramble. I have a vague memory of Ribery's goal vs Spain at WC 06 spawning from a similar play. I mean, considering how often Henry was in an offside position in that game, you had to wonder if that was tactical (I know, a bit of a stretch!).

I HATE the rule. I know it's ment to add more flow and offense to the game but I HATEHATEHATE the rule as it is now applied.

The "passive offside" is just too hard to keep track of, to properly call. How the Hell can a linesman determine if an offside player is or is not gaining some advantage? How often is a linesman within 30 yards even making that call?

And just because a player doesn't play a ball when he's offside doesn't mean that that player, or his team isn't gaining an advantage in the very, very near future, gaining a benefit from being in an offside position.

A decoy is still a decoy. They're not running about out there with labels identifying who's the real target and who's the decoy. And to echo BearcatSA's observation, that decoy may be the real end target of a movement.

A target which while initialy offside, and "alegedly" uninvolved in a play, gained an eventual positional advantage from being offside.

Clever? Sure. But it's a sort of criminal cunning and you're suppose to reward that are you?

Well, maybe in FIFA. Criminal cunning seems to be the stock in trade with them.

I HATE it. Can't see it happening but I'd love to go back to 2 defending players between the forward attacker and the attacking goal line. No ifs ands or buts. Just deal with it.

P.S. To be fair, I'm amazed the linesmen get it as right as often as they do.

P.S.S. Yeah, nice. Thanks a lot. Was having a lovely, lazy, Saturday afternoon BEFORE this topic...

Guest speedmonk42

P.S.S. Yeah, nice. Thanks a lot. Was having a lovely, lazy, Saturday afternoon BEFORE this topic...

----------------

Yeah, I know how you feel.

However, I have to actually re write a chapter on offside in a book, and trying to explain this in a simple way is not easy.

Archived