Canadians abroad: January 5-11, 2007

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete (in particular, American college matches, which are broadcast by FSWC, are not included) or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC and GolTV Canada repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

Sunday, January 7

11:00 AM on FSWC — England/Wales: English FA Cup - Third Round

Cardiff vs. Tottenham (Paul Stalteri)

1:00 PM on GolTV Canada — Spain: Primera División

Deportivo de La Coruña (Julian de Guzman) vs. Real Madrid

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for January 5-11, 2007.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Newcastle draw 2-2, Edgar goes 90 and the tying goal was scored by the man he was marking. The ball was flicked in the area and his marker shielded him from the ball and volleyed cross body into the near side from 6 yards.

Radz went 90 and Hume 76 as LC and FFC tie 2-2.

De Vos with 90 in a 0-0 draw at Chester.

Pesch subbed on in Injury time as Derby win 3-1.

Bircham subbed on in the 72nd in another 2-2 draw.

Simeon Jackson goes 90 in a 2-1 loss at Altrincham.

Great game for Julian, as Deportivo beat Real Madrid 2-0.

From the way things have been going I was expecting to see a nervous DeGuz, but he was solid. From the very beginning his passes were excellent, he was stealing the ball from Real's midfield at will during the first half and making clinical tackles. In short, he looked like a regular starter and Deportivo looked like a top team. Probably helped that Real sucked pretty bad, but I was impressed. He and Jonathan in midfield together would be something to see!

I saw Julian´s match too, he was a good solid holding midfielder, superb tackling and positioning, frustrated the hell out of the Real attack. Never received many passes , but you could see that his teammates were assured by his being around. He clearly had instructions which he followed to the letter, you could see him hold back in the centre on every attack.

Guest Jeffery S.

Only saw extended highlights of Julian, was listening while on as I had already watched three games this weekend. In any case I agree that he stepped in, was sure, looked like last year pretty well, had good conditioning. Was basically in a double holding midfield alongside Duscher.

Stats say he had a shot wide, fouled twice, was fouled twice, had 13 successful tackles coming up with the ball, lost it 7 times.

Good show, hope this finally displaces Juan Rodriguez from the line-up, and maybe keeps Sergio at bay as well, and he can play with the team performing well. First decent game by the team since October, really.

Duscher was mostly forward and in the centre of all attacking, almost a third -and at times, a fourth- forward most of the time, a very different role from Julian in this match and Julian was obviously told not to go forward at all, and seemed nver to have entered the penalty box. Duscher had some excellent chances to score himself, but just missed on many occasions. It would be interesting to watch what would happen if De Guzman was given a different role with Deportivo. Unfortunately, we do not get many Deportivo matches here on TV.

It was fun to listen to the local Nicaraguan announcer, an unabashed Real fan, constantly bemoaning the frustrating actions of ¨El canadiense, De Guzman¨ with a tone of admiring disgust. Real Madridand Barcelona matches are blacked out from the international cable companies and carried live on a local station because of their immense popularity.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Duscher was mostly forward and in the centre of all attacking, almost a third -and at times, a fourth- forward most of the time, a very different role from Julian in this match and Julian was obviously told not to go forward at all, and seemed nver to have entered the penalty box. Duscher had some excellent chances to score himself, but just missed on many occasions. It would be interesting to watch what would happen if De Guzman was given a different role with Deportivo. Unfortunately, we do not get many Deportivo matches here on TV.

It was fun to listen to the local Nicaraguan announcer, an unabashed Real fan, constantly bemoaning the frustrating actions of ¨El canadiense, De Guzman¨ with a tone of admiring disgust. Real Madridand Barcelona matches are blacked out from the international cable companies and carried live on a local station because of their immense popularity.

Well then I stand corrected, I just assumed Duscher was more defensive. Considering that Ricki, Arizmendi, Cristian and Estoyanoff are supposed to be more attacking, I am surprised that Aldo also went forward.

As I say, did not watch after taking in games in Liverpool, Zaragoza, Manchester and Getafe I'd had my dose.

Guest Jeffery S.

Can't get a report but Aguiar's Gondomar took out a team from one division lower in the Portuguese Cup, la Taça, 3-0, go into the fifth round (think that is round of 32).

Big upset as third tier Atletico Lisboa, from the neighbourhood of Alcantara, took out Porto in Porto 0-1, reports say the churchbells chimed all over the district and people celebrated on the streets.

Happened to be in this comfortable neighbourhood two weeks ago, western terminus of the famous #28 tramway, not to be missed from end to end if you are ever in Lisbon.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Duscher was mostly forward and in the centre of all attacking, almost a third -and at times, a fourth- forward most of the time, a very different role from Julian in this match and Julian was obviously told not to go forward at all, and seemed nver to have entered the penalty box. Duscher had some excellent chances to score himself, but just missed on many occasions. It would be interesting to watch what would happen if De Guzman was given a different role with Deportivo.

Judging from your previous post, it sounds like JDG had a terrific game as the holding midfielder. When in possession did he often pass the ball quickly to a team mate? With our MNT I really believe he plays best when he concentrates on high percentage, quick distribution, changing the point of attack, as opposed to when he holds the ball too long, dithering, then trying to do too much when he has possession. Your thoughts?

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Judging from your previous post, it sounds like JDG had a terrific game as the holding midfielder. When in possession did he often pass the ball quickly to a team mate? With our MNT I really believe he plays best when he concentrates on high percentage, quick distribution, changing the point of attack, as opposed to when he holds the ball too long, dithering, then trying to do too much when he has possession. Your thoughts?

Yes, he did not carry much, especially when in the centre of the field. When he was off near the sidelines, he did more carrying, though limited. I have not seen enough of him recently to agree with or disagree with your assessment of his posssession abilities. He definitely showed high skills as a quick reaction player on Sunday.

No, I am not Nicaraguan, I am a WASP who has a contract to work hear for a year. Let me know if you come down to visit your girlfriends family, I will take you out for a beer.

Guest Jeffery S.

From seeing Julian last year and this: he is not a playmaker, in fact his vision of the game is mediocre. He is too absorbed in the task at hand to see the big picture. I know this sounds harsh but it is true, he is so high-energy and intense and so fit to make the transitions forwards and back, that he simply does not seem to take that moment of pause that a serious playmaker would. He does not move the team, ever. He simply tackles, gets possession, twists out of the opponent's pressure, lays off a usually neat pass to someone nearby, rarely longball. He really is not that suited to the Spanish style, but since he has more technical, visionary types around him (and will even more when Valerón gets in game shape), his role is other.

Think this is the same for his play with Canada, must say. Indeed Canada does not have a true playmaking mid, we have noone with that vision, with that leadership on the field, making those intelligent passes to help work our way forwards, playing in the middle.

(Or maybe my standards watching Xavi, Iniesta and Deco are too high).

Actually in the last few games he has played for Canada, DeGuzman has set up a several goals/scoring chances with excellent, well placed passes and crosses. He does have playmaking ability but I do agree that he is not consistent at this though to be fair if that is not your club role it is difficult to remain sharp in this area. He had more of a playmaking role with Hannover. I don't think he will ever be the playmaking mid that we need but he is a defensive mid with some playmaking ability.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

From seeing Julian last year and this: he is not a playmaker, in fact his vision of the game is mediocre. He is too absorbed in the task at hand to see the big picture. I know this sounds harsh but it is true, he is so high-energy and intense and so fit to make the transitions forwards and back, that he simply does not seem to take that moment of pause that a serious playmaker would. He does not move the team, ever. He simply tackles, gets possession, twists out of the opponent's pressure, lays off a usually neat pass to someone nearby, rarely longball. He really is not that suited to the Spanish style, but since he has more technical, visionary types around him (and will even more when Valerón gets in game shape), his role is other.

Think this is the same for his play with Canada, must say. Indeed Canada does not have a true playmaking mid, we have noone with that vision, with that leadership on the field, making those intelligent passes to help work our way forwards, playing in the middle.

I think we are pretty much in agreement as to JDG's strengths and limitations and it goes back to one of the points I consistently make regarding MNT player and position selection: to get the most out of a player put him in a role he consistently plays at club level and also feels comfortable in. Though we really lack a true playmaker in our MNT midfield, it would be unfair to JDG if he is placed in that role for our team and is unable to deliver the performance needed.

Hard to argue with any of the most recent comments. From what I saw of The Guz with Hannover he seemed to have had that switch-over, transition role/ability. But was still a reactionary ball winner, you know? More the counter-puncher than the midfield general. How he's played with Deportiva I've not a clue. Sort of fallen out of sight since the move to Spain.

I think I've complained a bit in the past that having won the ball he seems to dink about just a wee bit too much. With the NT anyway, but if that mirrors his club play as well is simple guess-work. I tended to blame the pricking about on the unfamiliarity of playing with the NT more than anything else. Seemed much more confident and focused with Hannover on the counter attack.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian not slated to play tonight in the Cup, Depor vs. Mallorca. Not a problem, as it seems only three starters from the Madrid win will be on the field tonight. Suggests he is being reserved as a league starter, we wish.

Other Depor news has Coloccini once again in transfer rumours, and since the Argentine has been playing defensive mid for Depor, good news if it happens for de Guzman.

Archived