U20 team news

masster

I just spoke with a member of the U20 squad and he said that the team has another camp in Florida starting next week. According to him they will be playing the American U20's again as well as their U17's. I don't know why the CSA hasn't issued a roster or a release on this.

He also said that Manny Gomez is no longer with River Plate and was trying to catch on with some club in Central America. Don't expect to see Manny back on the radar for the U20 team as he was not pleased about seeing limited action during the Porto tournament and I don't think he was shy about letting that be known.

quote:Originally posted by masster

I just spoke with a member of the U20 squad and he said that the team has another camp in Florida starting next week. According to him they will be playing the American U20's again as well as their U17's. I don't know why the CSA hasn't issued a roster or a release on this.

He also said that Manny Gomez is no longer with River Plate and was trying to catch on with some club in Central America. Don't expect to see Manny back on the radar for the U20 team as he was not pleased about seeing limited action during the Porto tournament and I don't think he was shy about letting that be known.

Another primadonna?

Thanks for the news BTW!

The problem with some of the kids at the youth soccer level is that they equate their team's youth side with the senior side and develop big egos as a result. Many of the top teams in countries don't have youth sides that are anywhere near the level of dominance of their senior teams and often smaller teams have better youth development teams/programs. The big teams then buy the players from the smaller teams who have done most of the development work. If you are going to develop an attitude and demand playing time at least wait until you are on a senior side not in a youth program. There are thousands of players who have played in the youth systems of clubs like ManU and Real Madrid who have never even made it into lower division professional soccer let alone the first team of their club.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The problem with some of the kids at the youth soccer level is that they equate their team's youth side with the senior side and develop big egos as a result. Many of the top teams in countries don't have youth sides that are anywhere near the level of dominance of their senior teams and often smaller teams have better youth development teams/programs. The big teams then buy the players from the smaller teams who have done most of the development work. If you are going to develop an attitude and demand playing time at least wait until you are on a senior side not in a youth program. There are thousands of players who have played in the youth systems of clubs like ManU and Real Madrid who have never even made it into lower division professional soccer let alone the first team of their club.

Exactly, happens all the time. About two years ago I got an e-mail from a guy working for a FIFA agent in Liverpool asking about a player in the Barça youth system. A kid on the B team, just 17 or 18 years old, who since then has just disappeared, not sure if he is even playing pro at a lower level. But not on Barça any more. His dad wanted to get him a chance elsewhere as his playing time had dropped in Barcelona.

But the thing is that this kid had been the top scorer in Spain at age 15, with over 30 in a season, then had not kept up the pace, was down to a pair or three by age 18. It happens a lot, but the ego is intact, the dad is there thinking the kid must be getting screwed, and they begin looking for other solutions and blaming this coach or that team.

This is almost the Wyn Belotte story in a nutshell, anyways...

I am not saying this has anything at all to do with Gómez, if he was unhappy about not playing in Porto, well that is good. Shows he wanted to play and felt he deserved it. Our coaches have made mistakes before. But he should at least be showing his talent on another side somewhere, if was at River he should now be on a lesser side in Argentina at least, or in a strong league. Or playing for some team regularly, even in a lower division.

Have to say i would say this about Uccello as well, if no coach in Italy has felt him worth anything more than Serie C I am not going to come out and say he got a raw deal, even though perhaps he could have got a better look from Canada at one time.

Speaking of U20's, I just finished watching Canada beat russia 4-2 at the IIHF U20 championships. I am quite sure Vancouver Giant star forward Kendal Mcardle didn't get even one shift. Barely played at all in the tournament, but do you think he would refuse to suit up for Canada again? I doubt it. That's a good team player... maybe some of our soccer U20's should take note.

Archived