Jeff Gonzalez - eligible for Canada?

Guest Dave

A family friend who goes to University in the States was raving about this 20 yr old at Rhode Island University, Jeff Gonzalez... I think he led the Atlantic Universities in scoring. Born in TO apparently, but he doesn't appear on the CSA's player pool lists anywhere. Does anyone know any more about this guy?

And before anyone flames me, I am NOT hyping this guy as the next Joey Torchia... I just think he might be worth a look at an U20 camp to see if he is worth having in the player pool.... assuming that he is interested in playing for Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

And before anyone flames me, I am NOT hyping this guy as the next Joey Torchia... I just think he might be worth a look at an U20 camp to see if he is worth having in the player pool.... assuming that he is interested in playing for Canada.

He is too old for the U-20 team, born in 1986, profile from the U of Rhode Island website: "Was a four-year starter at Brother Andre Catholic... Received team MVP honors all four years... Was a five-year starter, team captain and MVP as an attacking central midfielder for the UMSC Strikers Soccer Club... Helped lead Woodbridge Strikers Soccer Club to a gold medal in the 2003 Ontario Cup... Was a member of the silver medal Ontario Provincial Team from 1999-2000 and traveled to Germany for training with the Stuttgart Soccer Club... Trained at the Canadian National Training Centre in 2002."

Buzz Carrick at 3rd Degree has him rated as the #3 forward for the upcoming MLS draft.

That's Jeffrey *Gonsalves*.

http://gorhody.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/gonsalves_jeffrey00.html

Yorkregion.article: http://www.yrng.com/yr/yr4/YR_News/Sports/story/3826188p-4426223c.html

*snip*:

PUTTING HIS BEST FOOT FORWARD: Jeffrey Gonsalves, a 20-year-old senior student who played forward for the University of Rhode Island Rams men's soccer team, garnered several honours.

He was the Atlantic-10 Conference's offensive player of the year after finishing the season atop the league in shots (82), points (41), goals (18) and game-winning goals (five).

He was also chosen to the 2006 NSCAA All-Mid Atlantic Region first all-star team.

A two-time team captain and three-time All-Conference honoree, Gonsalves finished the season tied for second in the National Collegiate Athletic Association with 18 goals.

He also recorded his first career hat trick this season, at La Salle on Sept. 29. He ranks 11th in the United States in goals per game (0.78) and ranks 12th in points per game (1.78).

In his four years at Rhode Island, Gonsalves was named to six All-Tournament teams, received three Atlantic-10 Conference Player of the Week awards (two this season), two ECAC Player of the Week awards (both this season), three NSCAA/Adidas All-Region honors and six different national honours (five this season).

With 107 career points (42 goals and 23 assists), he ranks fifth all-time in the Rhode Island record books and is first on the career-games list, having appeared in 87 matches.

ID'd in this thread: http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

1986 --> Too old for current U20s, anyways.

18 Goals, 2nd in the NSCAA..not too shabby! Looks like he won't be going to TFC though, after the 1st pick overall we don't pick again until the 27th spot.

He should be able to fight for a spot on the Olympic team for 2008. The only forward born before '87 who saw significant PT on the 2005 WYC team was Riley O'Neill. Lombardo, Johnson (now moved to midfield) and Julian Uccello (who was not on the 05 team, and who may not want to play for Canada anymore) would be the other candidates.

The Toronto Sun had an article today entitled "Jeffrey Gonsalves Turning Heads at MLS Combine". The article itself did not have much on Jeffrey, just the raw data contained in this thread. It was more on Mo and his draft strategy (which he would not divulge). Mo says they made up their mind months ago wrt what they were going to do.

To me, the (pleasantly)surprising thing was that the Sun would even publish an article on the MLS Combine! They even speculated TFC would trade down in the first round to take Jeffrey.

Archived