BMO Field Video

BrennanFan

Sure, we'd all prefer it be a pristine natural grass pitch used only for Toronto FC games and the occasional international match. We also all (or at least almost all) understand that for many reasons quoted here ad nauseum it was either FieldTurf or no stadium. What would you chose?

Youtube music: I can't find ONE highlight package of the 2005 CL final with original commentary and nothing else. Blech.

And Richard: for that $62.5m, I would have chosen a $1m-$2m Fielturf practice field close to the stadium which can then be "bubbled".

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Youtube music: I can't find ONE highlight package of the 2005 CL final with original commentary and nothing else. Blech.

And Richard: for that $62.5m, I would have chosen a $1m-$2m Fielturf practice field close to the stadium which can then be "bubbled".

Good luck managing the land, construction, maintenance and operating costs of another soccer field close to BMO field for $1 to $2 million.

Guest Jeffery S.

So what will be the training facility for the team in the end? Do they just assume that on field turf they will train daily in the stadium itself?

And how about the youth teams, will they also be there? Where would they be playing?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Richard

Jeffrey S., why don't you ask those questions directly of Toronto FC rather than here where all you'll get in response is more speculation.

Because sometimes people who know the answer happen to post on this board, thought you had noticed.

If I were a journalist I would call the club, as a fan I look for info here. Not because I really want to know the answer, of course, but because I like being here and shooting the ****.

Capice?

I don't know but looking at that video of BMO Field does note get the juices going. I know we should just be happy to have a stadium, however, this stadium looks very boring and I still think with the money spent we could have built a nicer looking stadium. It just looks like a bunch of portable stands brought together. The stadium has too much of an open look to it. The stands should have been built more on a steeper incline. It just does not look like a soccer stadium, it looks like an ordinary American high school football stadium, but I guess it the end it's better than no stadium at all.

I went down to the site to check it out over the Christmas holiday. The facility will never be described as "breathtaking" BUT when the turf is laid, the landscaping around the facility is done, and all the other little things that need to be finished get finished, this will be a very nice place to watch a game of footie.

I know we are all fans and we all have high hopes/expectations for this stadium but the reality is that it was built on a tight budget (yes...62 million dollars is a tight budget when you are building in downtown T.O.). If we (Canadian soccer fans) support the facility, no matter what small warts it might have, we'll get more of these stadiums in other major cities in Canada and maybe the next time a SSS gets built, a little more "bling" can added to it in order to make it a bit prettier (for lack of a better term). I feel lucky to have this stadium being built 20 minutes from my home. We've been begging for a good facility in Toronto and now we will have one. I can't wait for the U20 WC and the beginning of the MLS season.

By the way, that flag on the seats looks very cool up close and the word TORONTO spelled out on the other side of the stadium will create some cool aerial visuals when games are broadcast on TV.

Also, I think Fieldturf is the way of the future, especially in Canada (although with the mild temps we are getting in Ontario, maybe global warming will allow us to have nice grass fields in the future). This new turf that we are getting is the best in the world, FIFA has approved it and you can be sure that even better variants will be introduced in the near future. The artificial turf business is a very competitive one and success hinges on continuous improvements. I disregard any concerns I have heard from players because I seriously doubt anyone who comments negatively has played on one of these new surfaces because there are so few of them in the world right now. If they start to complain after playing on it for a while, then I'll be willing to listen. Right now, I would prefer to take a wait and see attitude.

quote:Originally posted by VPjrBy the way, that flag on the seats looks very cool up close and the word TORONTO spelled out on the other side of the stadium will create some cool aerial visuals when games are broadcast on TV.

Maybe if the stands are empty...

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Maybe if the stands are empty...

of course when the stands are empty....during the last WC, there were some very cool moments when they panned the cameras around beautiful (empty) German stadiums and it made by very envious. I can see an aerial view of the big Maple Leaf as a lead in to TFC television broadcasts and it will look pretty damn nice, IMO

thanks for posting the video..i will be stopping by ON in the summer and hope to make an appearance there to see it in full use...and (totally unrelated) I found it hilarious that SeanKeay's pitch invasion video after the last Lynx game was the first video recommended as "related" according to youtube. Enjoyed that too. Laughed out loud to the Chariots soundtrack. Thanks!!

quote:Originally posted by nolando

thanks for posting the video..i will be stopping by ON in the summer and hope to make an appearance there to see it in full use...and (totally unrelated) I found it hilarious that SeanKeay's pitch invasion video after the last Lynx game was the first video recommended as "related" according to youtube. Enjoyed that too. Laughed out loud to the Chariots soundtrack. Thanks!!

That was a few years ago.

amazing how little 60 million dollars buys these days.....makes taylor field in regina look like new wembley.

being the only plastic pitch in MLS and in our supposed national team's soccer specific stadium is an embarassment to this country...but that argument has been done.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

amazing how little 60 million dollars buys these days.....makes taylor field in regina look like new wembley.

being the only plastic pitch in MLS and in our supposed national team's soccer specific stadium is an embarassment to this country...but that argument has been done.

Yup, and you lost, sorry. If you feel it's such a disgrace the show it by not going to any games there.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

Yeah-because land values, materials and labout cost the same in Regina as they do in Toronto.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of their bed of nails...

Archived