Impact to revamp Offence

Mr.Impact

Nick Desantis Montreals' head Coach mentioned that he would like to revamp Montreals offence. CFCF, Montreal's CTV affiliate mentioned that strikers Antoniuk and Sallas are on there way out, Leaving Veteran Mauro Biello, as the sole strike force for the Impact. Nick also mentioned that he would like to sign some USL combine players, and is considering a scouting trip to Argentina. Last Year he and Joey Saputo along with the help of Maurizio Vincello, discovered DiLorenzo an offensive midfilder. My bet will be on Nick Raiding the Toronto Lynx Roster which will hopefully see the addition of Robbie Aristodemo and maybe a striker from the Lynx.

Its about time they gave some consideration to offence but why are they getting rid of Sallas? He was the only goal scorer we had last year and someone who has been a consistent scorer every year he has played in USL. He scored 9 of the Impact's meagre goal total of 31 last year despite getting less playing time than he deserved. Does DeSantis just not like the guy? He didn't even start the team's leading/only scorer in the final game and we all know what the result was. Sallas is supposed to have a 3 year deal with the Impact. They could get rid of Biello as far as I'm concerned. Even better why not get rid of DeSantis and get a real coach?

Damn, for a second there I read "office", not "offence". I can dream, right? ;)

Salles was decent this year, but Antoniuk was displeased at being on the bench so much. If we're going to raid Toronto, let's leave Aristodemo and just take Jeffrey (and maybe Arango?).

If Di Lorenzo could return and we can find a new offensive playmaker, we should be ok.

And Grizz, you need to stop calling for a coach's head in every post, it seriously becomes irritating.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

And Grizz, you need to stop calling for a coach's head in every post, it seriously becomes irritating.

The problem is we have so many crap coaches in Canada and so few good ones. If you read my BigSoccer posts on Russian or German soccer you will see I do not call for the coach's head in every post because they have good coaches there. If the Impact can afford foreign players they could also afford a foreign coach or at least look around for a Canadian one who is decent (there are a fair number of foreign born coaches who have immigrated to Canada with impressive resumes). What exactly are DeSantis' qualifications other than having played for the Impact and being buddies with Saputo? If you think DeSantis is a good coach and are happy with the results/player selections/tactics of recent years good for you. The Impact are getting by on having a budget far in excess of any other team in the league not on being well run and well coached which is why they always are good in the regular season and poor in the playoffs. I am not impressed at all by DeSantis' coaching abilities. To put things in perspective I think Yallop was a poor MNT coach yet is a good MLS coach and would probably be a great coach at USL level. DeSantis is in my opinion poor even at USL level.

Mr Impact: Give your head a shake. Robbie Aristademo? Kevin Jeffrey? That ain't going to save the Impact. If they should scoop anyone from Toronto it should be Jamie Dodds. Getting rid of Mauricio Salles would be dumb...he's a good player who was misused in the Impact's system.

I agree with Grizz...DeSantis is not a good coach by USL standards, but he's part of the "Family" now, and will be there forever.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Mr Impact: Give your head a shake. Robbie Aristademo? Kevin Jeffrey? That ain't going to save the Impact. If they should scoop anyone from Toronto it should be Jamie Dodds. Getting rid of Mauricio Salles would be dumb...he's a good player who was misused in the Impact's system.

I agree with Grizz...DeSantis is not a good coach by USL standards, but he's part of the "Family" now, and will be there forever.

De Santis might be part of the "family" as you put it but Montrealers are a very fussy bunch. If the Impact have a poor season they will abandon the team in bunches and Saputo will have no choice but to make a change in the coaching position. Last year, the team finished first overall and that still did not satisfy fans as the Impact were dreadful on offence and did not even score a goal in the two plaoff games. I think this is De Santis' make or break year. The team has to score a lot more goals and go far in the playoffs. If they struggle in either or, heaven forbid, not make the playoffs, De Santis will be gone.

Save the Impact ???

Uhh this aint about saving a third rate Alberta Franchise ... This is about making a professional club better. Don't know why you're dissing Robbie ... or any other Lynx player. Im just saying that the better lynx elements could make the Impact that much better.

Kevin Jeffrey was impressive with Richmond in the past and the Lynx were one of the best teams in the league after he joined them in 2006. He's a hold-up forward in the same mold as Bailey and I've been more impressed with him than Bailey. Plus, he doesn't count as a foreign player (US) and Bailey has been on the outs with his attitude.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

De Santis might be part of the "family" as you put it but Montrealers are a very fussy bunch. If the Impact have a poor season they will abandon the team in bunches and Saputo will have no choice but to make a change in the coaching position. Last year, the team finished first overall and that still did not satisfy fans as the Impact were dreadful on offence and did not even score a goal in the two plaoff games. I think this is De Santis' make or break year. The team has to score a lot more goals and go far in the playoffs. If they struggle in either or, heaven forbid, not make the playoffs, De Santis will be gone.

I agree with CB that if the Impact could only pick one of the three that Dodds would be the best choice. I do, however, think that Jefferey and Aristodemo would also be good pickups. There may be better people available on the market or in Argentina on the scouting trip but I do think both of them would help the team if they were signed.

Montrealers may be a fussy bunch as Alberto says but this is primarily as hockey fans. If you have ever been at an Impact game I think you will see that at least half of the fans are not overly concerned about the result and are there because they got free tickets or extremely cheap tickets through soccer associations or even if they paid it is a very cheap evening out by professional sports standards. Sure it is easier to keep the buzz (that Saputo has done an excellent job of building) when you are winning but while a majority of fans of the stadium would probably prefer the Impact win but are really not that concerned about the result. In fact, most are more interested in the mascot that shoots t-shirts into the stands.

Yet the real fans of the Impact are very demanding. Why is this? Because the Impact are the Chelsea/ManU/Rangers/Celtic of the USL. With the budget they have compared to other teams they should be champion at least every second year. How many other USL teams are offering players 3 year contracts? If I was a Lynx or Minnesota fan I would be overjoyed at a .500 record and making the playoffs. I might be pissed off at the owners for not financing and building a proper team but given the team they have I would be happy with mediocrity in the circumstances. The Impact on the other hand are such a superior team to most of the USL opposition that they should expect to be champions every 2nd year. This is such a good team in comparison to the competition that even if they didn't have a coach they would still be one of the top teams in the league. This is why I find it hard to give DeSantis a lot of credit for our first place finishes or even the championship we won under him. We should be winning championships and we should be winning championships more often. Saputo will probably fire DeSantis if we don't at least make the championship game this year but I can't really understand why he hired him in the first place other than the buddy factor.

The big thing that is hard to understand with how the team is run is the tactical strategy. If you are the elite team of a league you have to have a strong offence because most of the inferior teams are going to play bunker defence with counterattack. If your team is offensively challenged it will be very difficult to score on a bunker defence. What is the strategy of the Impact in the face of this? Hire good defensive players and play a defence first strategy. There is such a discrepency in the playing level of the teams in the USL that it works to some extent and they are able to beat the poorer teams 1-0. Yet when it comes to the playoffs the difference between the teams is not as great and a team like the Whitecaps can employ this strategy to great success especially when the one area they are superior to the Impact in is scoring.

As much as I am a fan of the Impact I have to say they are probably the most boring team I have ever seen play. Yes we have about 75% of possession but most of the time our players are passing it around amongst themselves in the backfield. Add to this that outside of 30 to 40 Ultras there is no atmosphere in the stadium it is sometimes pretty hard to watch. When I watch my German team play in the 4th division they play a similar level of soccer as the Impact and the games are often not very exciting. Yet there are several thousand passionate fans watching and the atmosphere is often better than at 1st Bundesliga games. It will obviously take a long time for a soccer style atmosphere to develop here but in the meantime I would like to watch a team that isn't going to pass the ball around in the back for 70 minutes. If you play boring soccer and overachieve then the end justifies the means. If you play boring soccer and are continually underachieving with it you should change your strategy. When I see how boring Impact games are to watch I really find it hard to blame the fans for getting more excited about the mascot that shoots t-shirts into the stands. It is sometimes the only excitment that happens during the game.

The reason Montreallers are fussy about the Impact, is because they've been Champions twice.

Bigger expectations=bigger scrutiny. Just like the habs.

Montrealers are not fussy about the Impact though. In Montreal people follow the Habs very closely and are very passionate about whether they win or lose and how they play whether or not they actually attend games. As for the Impact probably less than half of the people actually in the stadium really care that much whether they win or lose. The real Impact fans I am referring to who expect a lot from the team probably are not more than several hundred people.

Archived