CONCACAF Player of the year

RJB

Guest Jeffery S.

I just read a report in Spain that after a poll of 50 sport journalists from 11 countries the Concacaf player of the year was chosen, being Rafa Márquez. I am not sure about the second, was from Mexico. but the third was Suazo from Honduras. That surprised me as it seemed quite slanted to Central American interests. This came up in the Spanish press just last week, have no link to it.

I believe it was sponsored by a Mexican footie magazine, much like France Football does theirs, but I am not sure that is representative. Better to do a poll of coaches and captains of national teams, that would be a bit more balanced. But even then the chances of Márquez winning would be quite high.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Well, what are the 11 countries and how many journalists are from there?

Rafa Marquez is the clear winner, no ifs ands or buts.

Sorry, when I say I just read this I meant in the last week, in a sports daily in Barcelona, but not sure which one or what day. So going from memory. Will try to do a search in Spanish to see what i can come up with.

Edit: Got it, from Sport in Barcelona, a poll by Soccermania, in Spanish http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=367663&idseccio_PK=803&h=

Oswaldo Sánchez the Mexico and Chivas keeper was second. Suazo for his goals in Serie A keeping Calgiari up.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

What a joke. Mexican goalkeepers suck. I haven't ever been impressed by a Mexican keeper.

The point is, all you need is a magazine or an association of journalists, or Concacaf itself, to set up the award, find who votes, and do it. And this mag did it. And publicized it. Nothing more.

If fansites wanted to do a poll, you could do it like this: take the top fan site in every Concacaf country and have it's fans vote, then take the top five from every country and add it all up. That way you would not weigh Mexico so heavily, but that way, of course, no country like Canada would ever get anyone in the top five overall. Unless we made the World Cup.

What a joke. Mexican goalkeepers suck. I haven't ever been impressed by a Mexican keeper.

Perez kept Mexico alive in the 2002 WC first round.

Sanchez is a good keeper too but I would take Friedel or Keller over him but he's still a solid keeper.

Ochoa is a young mexican keeper that is also pretty solid despite being only 21.

Campos was a big joke but I've been impressed by the latest quality of mexican keepers. I'm not saying that Sanchez should be named CONCACAF POY but I would take any of them over our keepers....

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Perez kept Mexico alive in the 2002 WC first round.

Sanchez is a good keeper too but I would take Friedel or Keller over him but he's still a solid keeper.

Ochoa is a young mexican keeper that is also pretty solid despite being only 21.

Campos was a big joke but I've been impressed by the latest quality of mexican keepers. I'm not saying that Sanchez should be named CONCACAF POY but I would take any of them over our keepers....

I'm a big Club America fan, but Ochoa is a complete joke. He's let in a lot of howlers. I wouldn't want to see him in MLS.

I'm a big Club America fan, but Ochoa is a complete joke. He's let in a lot of howlers. I wouldn't want to see him in MLS.

Ochoa is the one I've seen the least of the 3 I've named but I thought he was pretty talented when I saw him. With some experience he'll become more consistant.

Archived