Which Canadians Likely to Move During the Window?

Ian Kennett

Today, vs Man Utd, he's in the stands again, this time with Assou-Ekotto, as Chimbonda and Lee start in the fullback spots, Rocha as defensive cover from the bench. I'm guessing that Jol sees Stalteri as primary cover for the right back spot; unless both Lee and Assou-Ekotto are injured, I don't believe Stalteri will be considered for the left back slot.

And as good a day to stay off the pitch as there could be. Ug. Manchester United has had 'Spurs number for a couple of years now and they don't look likely to let go of it anytime soon.

Chimbonda is looking stronger every match although he does get caught out pretty good sometimes, no doubt about that. Not good news for Diesel but I still think he'll get his number of matchs in and if he can finaly get over his injuries he might get worked in here or there by Jol in other possitions. Left-back is a problem, in spite of a pretty damn good 1st half Lee fell apart in the 2nd today and A-E still has a ways to go before he's comfortable.

Still, I think Jol would have to be pretty desperate to put Paul at left back.

Think I read King was gone for the season so that means more of Gardner standing next to Lee. I think 'Spurs are in trouble.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Not good news for Diesel but I still think he'll get his number of matchs in and if he can finaly get over his injuries he might get worked in here or there by Jol in other possitions.

Which other positions? I can't see him playing midfield with Spurs because they're pretty set there already?

Actually had Zokora and the holding mind possition in mind. May be alien territory for him after all these years though, but it is an option for Jol in a pinch I'd think. Spurs have a trunk full of forward looking, attack minded midfielders but I'd say next to nothing in the way of sound defending midfielders who can link with the attack.

More or less, the same age, same pace, both right footed players who know how to tackle who have almost zero attacking responsabilities outside of getting the ball to those better able to take on those responsabilities in a timely and intelligent manner.

It's still a very long season and if Paul can be versatile enough he could be cover for two possition, even if it is only from the bench. In the event of a knock or what have you if he can step in and mirror Zokora that'd leave Jol free from changing up his entire on-field tactical scheme on the fly.

We are all fans here; well most of us anyways. And, we all want to see the players that we support move on to bigger and better things professionally because that gives us hope that our talent pool is improving.

But why do we need to always sugar coat everything when it comes to these types of discussions? Are we supporters or are we propagandist? There is nothing be thrilled about such a move ( ie.: Rob Freind). What is so great about moving from a club who is battling for a spot in Europe to one that is battling to avoid the drop in league that is known for being very "top heavy". I just checked the list of strikers on Heerenveen ( the club that is supposedly so deep at this position) and other than Will Johnson, I dont recognize anyone. In regards to "looking at the long term developmental benefits", well cripes, Freind is 26 years old not 19 or 20. He is beyond the developmental stage of his career.

Cant we just call it what it is? That doesn't mean that Friend's standing in the eyes of our national selectors, should not be affected in anyway by these moves. Friend has been in the program for a while now and he is a known quantity by now and we have seen him play on a few occasions on U20 sides and senior team.

With respect to Friend's situation, the important thing is that he is expected to be back and likely starting with Heerenveen next season when Alves moves on. So the fact that the team is battling for Europe this season will only benefit Rob Friend next year. He has been the 3rd choice striker all year (on a team that starts 2) so this move is recognition by the club that it would be nice to have a seasoned player when the next campaign rolls aroun.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

We are all fans here; well most of us anyways. And, we all want to see the players that we support move on to bigger and better things professionally because that gives us hope that our talent pool is improving.

But why do we need to always sugar coat everything when it comes to these types of discussions? Are we supporters or are we propagandist? There is nothing be thrilled about such a move ( ie.: Rob Freind). What is so great about moving from a club who is battling for a spot in Europe to one that is battling to avoid the drop in league that is known for being very "top heavy". I just checked the list of strikers on Heerenveen ( the club that is supposedly so deep at this position) and other than Will Johnson, I dont recognize anyone. In regards to "looking at the long term developmental benefits", well cripes, Freind is 26 years old not 19 or 20. He is beyond the developmental stage of his career.

Cant we just call it what it is? That doesn't mean that Friend's standing in the eyes of our national selectors, should not be affected in anyway by these moves. Friend has been in the program for a while now and he is a known quantity by now and we have seen him play on a few occasions on U20 sides and senior team.

Starting is better than not starting given that the league is the same; Heerenveen has loaned rather than sold or released him which may not necessarily mean they have not given up on him, but it does not neccesarily mean that they have; because a career and professional development is not measured by a snapshot in time; because players other than Rob Friend have taken a year to get acclimatized to the Dutch League and gone on to be successful. Everyone would be "thrilled" if Friend were starting, had 22 goals and had scouts from Big-time club sides scouting him weekly (that btw is the circumstances of Alves, the guy starting ahead of Friend for H. and leading the league in goals). I am not "thrilled" that he is being loaned (although I see one poster is :)) but not everything is not only doom and gloom, even when a 26 year old striker is loaned to a bottom dweller. Time will tell.

Archived