Jaime Peters at Ipswitch

Joe Keeper

Is it just me or is any one else staring to think that Peters is being wasted at this club? Im sure most of us expected him to be making atleast a few more subs appearances than he does by now, if not better. He hardly even seems to make the bench any more.

If they believe he needs experiance, why not loan him out to a lower division side where he could be getting some regular minutes at least?

He's had a couple of injuries but hasn't really made the progress which has been hoped for. The manager Jim Magilton has suggested he hasn't always shown the dedication required of him.

More importantly, it looks like he might have work permit problems again: http://ipswichtown.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=911&p=2&stid=8434180

What's TFC that's mentioned in the post above?

Phil

www.twtd.co.uk

In case you're interested, I spoke to Jim Magilton, the Town manager before Christmas for our fanzine. This is what he said about Peters:

I think Jaime Peters began pre-season very well and looked a real threat, started a few games and lost a little bit. So we dragged him out again, then put him in again a little while later and I think he’s starting to mature now. The penny’s starting to drop a little bit. Slowly but surely he’s got better, he’s learning.

Talking to him about a new contract yet?

Not yet as we don’t want to make him think that it’s that easy for him. I think Jaime’s still got a way to go but he’s certainly an exciting young player. Like [loan midfielder from Charlton] Simon Walton, he’s someone who has been thrust into the game at this level not really understanding it. They’ve got attributes and those attributes get them in the team.

They probably don’t really sit back and watch games, watch themselves. We’re telling them to take games home, go watch Premier League matches. This is your profession, so immerse yourself in it.

I used to walk by the computer room and the first person I’d see would be Jaime Peters emailing friends back home in Canada. So the first thing I did was lock the door and made it out of bounds. If you want to be a player go and spend the hours. Whatever you think, you need to work on your game.

As far as I know, it is mainly just speculation. Manager Mo Johnston was in England scouting players (I believe he was scouting Canadian players, but I can not remember exactly). When asked about Peters on the radio, MoJo said he could not say anything. If you want I can find an archive of the show that he was interviewed in.

The season starts in April.

Thanks. Certainly sounds a possibility, although if a club in one of the other bigger European leagues where he can get a permit is interested the money would be significantly better than in the MLS. That said, he's not really shown enough to suggest that that sort of move is on the cards.

No, not heard anything along those lines, could be a possibility, although whether that might have an effect on any future work permit application I have no idea.

Martin Brittain, another young right winger we signed from Newcastle over the summer, is back at the club after a loan spell at Yeovil and seems to be in the manager's mind for the weekend cup tie at Chester. On top of his return, we have two first team regular midfielders back from long-term absences, so opportunities are likely to be few and far between.

Phil -- Interesting stuff. Drives home the point that you've got to be talented AND a student of the game. Peters has loads of raw ability, raw athleticism, but he must learn how to play the game. Nice to see that his manager feels Jaime is starting to mature.

Interesting contrast to a player like Hutch, who has loads of talent AND the patience and attitude to humbly learn the game. I hope Jaime stays in England a while longer. I think he can get there.

Last season one of the other players told me that Peters tore everyone to shreds with his dribbling in training but hadn't managed to replicate it in a match situation.

He's still at an early stage in his development and I think too much has been expected of him at a young age. Our old manager Joe Royle pointed out at the end of last season that he had never had anything resembling a pre-season programme which was why he was withdrawn from all Canada action apart from an U20s game over the summer.

Phil

I think the English model is very much ill-suited to the prototypical CDN player. The English pro teams (rightly or wrongly) expect a player to be ready to compete immediately. The typical Cdn player is at least tactically naive by and large when the arrive in Europe (certainly compared to those who have nothing but high-level competition for years).

These players need a nurturing environment which few English clubs seem to offer. The German, Dutch (obviously) and French (based on de Guzman's and Klukowski's progress) models seem better suited to Cdn player development as the clubs typically have their youth setups and reserve setups playing in competitive high-caliber league settings, with a much fuller schedule than UK alternatives.

It's a bit analagous to some of these European players coming over here as extremely skillful players. They have bags of skill but need some seasoning in the North American game. Our youth players are as technically skilled as any (that's how they get the contracts in the first place) but are ingenues when it comes to the pro game.

And before any slings and arrows start heading my way, there are obviously exceptions - Edgar seems to be doing all right. But Simpson, Peters, Gyaki, et al are players who could use a bit of a learning period.

Even in the Brazil series this past summer, Peters was unstoppable in that first game and ripped the Brasilians to shreds down the right flank.

They paid special attention to him in the next two games and he was nowhere near effective.

He needs to learn consistency and develop the willingness to fight through tight and tough marking to be a major player going forward. Definately has the talent.

I think he and Edgar are good buddies so hopefully David's recent success will help Jaime.

Town are probably as good an English club for a young player to join as any as the Academy is second to none pound for pound (we won the FA Youth Cup in 2005 with an overall budget a fifth of Arsenal, Newcastle etc and have developed the likes of Kieron Dyer and Darren Bent). Players are nurtured and given an education, but also get chances to progress into the first team that they wouldn't get at a bigger club.

Jaime Peters came in as a first team player with full international caps rather than as a 'student' at the age of 18. Perhaps with hindsight he might not have been pitched straight in with the first team as he was and given a bit more time to learn the game.

Ed -- you make a good point. I was very happy when Simpson moved to the Bundesliga2, and am thrilled to see a tonne of young players in Holland, too. As for Edgar, I don't think he is the exception really. He has been in the Newcastle Academy since he was 13, has he not? Not as if he just shipped over a few weeks ago. Newcastle's been developing him for a good while now.

Guest Can. in UK

There a story on the Ipswich website regarding Jaime's work permit. Apparently they will not be able to renew it in the summer - so he will be out of contract.

Toronto FC, here we come!

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

There a story on the Ipswich website regarding Jaime's work permit. Apparently they will not be able to renew it in the summer - so he will be out of contract.

Toronto FC, here we come!

Here's the article: (thanks to Jonny63 at BS)

Peters to Toronto?

4 January 2007 23:56 GMT

Town midfielder Jaime Peters's work permit situation could see him return to Canada to join new MLS franchise side Toronto FC. Even before news that the 19-year-old might have problems securing a new UK permit, rumours in Canada had linked the winger with a move back home.

Toronto FC will become the 13th MLS club when the 2007 season kicks off in April and manager Mo Johnson is planning to build his side on young Canadian talent.

Former Scotland international Johnson, who started his latest job in North America in August, has already spent time in the UK scouting potential players and when quizzed about Peters refused to comment one way or the other.

Peters's Town contract and current work permit are both up at the end of June. Toronto is only 26 miles from Peters's home town of Pickering.

www.twtd.co.uk

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

this is best for him. close to home. and still very much young enough to return overseas - and why not take the chance to show-up Freddy Adu!?

And get some regular PT right before he auditions for the world at the WYC!

edit: the work permit issues may arise after the contract is over at seasons' end.

http://ipswichtown.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=911&p=2&stid=8434180

Permit Problem for Peters

By Philip Ham

Date: 4/1/2007

Canadian midfielder Jaime Peters's career with Town could be in doubt beyond the end of the season due to work permit issues. The 19-year-old's current permit is up in June and, with the player not currently in either the Town or Canada sides, gaining an extension could prove problematic.

Boss Jim Magilton told the club site: "We're aware of the work permit issue with Jaime and we'll just have to see how things go.

"He needs to keep working hard, but we also have Martin Brittain back in the squad now after his loan at Yeovil. He's been playing games and did well there and I want to give him the opportunity to show us what he can do."

It's not the first time that Peters has had problems gaining permission to play in the UK. Two years ago, after signing a pre-contract agreement with the Blues, the winger applied for a Commonwealth Working Holiday Visa (WHV).

However, the rules on WHVs were tightened soon after so that from February 8th 2005 holders were only entitled to work for one of their two years in the UK and were specifically banned from employment in professional sport.

This left Peters's application in a grey area, the player having applied in January 2005 for a visa which would not come into effect until his 18th birthday on May 4th that year, after the rule change took place. The club spent some time lobbying the Home Office, however, this ultimately ended in failure and the Blues had to seek another route.

Peters hadn't played the required 75% of international games with Canada over the previous two years and so failed to automatically win a permit on the Highly Skilled Migrant programme.

However, as with an earlier case involving Middlesbrough's Yakubu, Town appealed to an expert football tribunal which granted the Canadian his current permit after a July 2005 hearing in Sheffield.

Peters's Town contract also ends in June this year.

That's quite a range of expertise lumped into one category! From what I have researched you earn points based on your age, education, etc. Suffice to say that a young doctor, fluent in English, is going to earn a helluva lot more points than young Peters.

"I used to walk by the computer room and the first person I’d see would be Jaime Peters emailing friends back home in Canada. So the first thing I did was lock the door and made it out of bounds." Maybe Magilton needs to let Jaime improve those IT skills so he can earn more points!

Since Forrest and DeVos,I have always liked Ipswich, but I think it would be great if we could see Peters at TFC.

It would make sence from a Marketing point of view as well for the

U-20s. He would be a very recognizable (and marketable) face for a new generation of Canadian players who will hopfully become well known to the nation soon enough.

Archived