A boring day (WCQ 2010 scenerio)

Alex

Ok I apologize if I get anyone excited because it seems so far away from even the draw, but today I was sitting around and just started on something. I tried to figure out a qualifying scenario for 2010, taking the previous method in mind and using what FIFA did in Asia for '06 as a guideline. I tried to come up with something reasonable and not so skewed, as Canada got screwed last go around.

So in CONCACAF the bottom teams played a home and home eliminating 10 or so teams, depending if some tiny nations decided to pull out. FIFA used the world ranking (this is why we should follow it) to make the groups and home and home series. Then they used previous WCQs to put the teams into the pots, etc. So anyway I changed some stuff around and used what they did for Asia so it seems more reasonable to me.

Pot A-----------Pot B

Mexico 20-------T&T 91

Costa Rica 68---Guatemala 105

USA 31----------Panama 81

Pot C ------------Pot D----------------Pot E

Canada 82---------Cuba 46--------------Grenada 163

St. Kitts 143-----Barbados 98----------Nicaragua 168

St. Vincent 85----Guyana 100-----------Turks & Caicos 169 -

Jamaica 57------- Haiti 102------------Netherland Ant 177 -

El Salvador 156---Bermuda 107----------Dominica 181 -

Honduras 56-------Surinam 122----------Cayman Is 189 –

------------------Antigua & B 132------British Vir Is 190 –

------------------Dominican R 136------Anguilla 196 -

------------------Bahamas 146----------Aruba 198 –

------------------St Lucia 160---------Puerto Rico 198 -

---------------------------------------Montserrat 198 -

---------------------------------------USVI 198-

---------------------------------------Belize 198 –

So lets say the bottom 11 teams with lines beside them are gone, that leaves 24 countries.

Then using the 06 qualifying, I seeded the hex teams and then filled in the rest in order based on the rankings and how far they made it through the qualifying stage. I believe FIFA did a draw for this last go round but whatever, it doesnt matter.

So this is what the groups would be:

Mexico------USA----------Costa Rica--Panama

Honduras----Jamaica------Canada------StVincent

Cuba--------Barbados-----Guyana------Haiti

Antigua&B---Dominican R--Bahamas-----St Lucia

T&T---------Guatemala

St Kitts----El Salvador

Bermuda-----Surinam

Grenada-----Nicaragua

Then like in Asia, the 1st place team from each group goes through to the final round, top 6 for the hex. That gives Canada 6 games then 10 more in the hex. It seems better to do it this way because you give more teams a shot and you have to finish first. Anyway you can rip this apart if you want or even give some input on a way to improve, but its just something to post during the long winter......

WHY NOT 3 FINAL GROUPS WHERE THE WINNERS QUALIFY TO THE WORLD CUP AND THE THREE SECONDS PLAY FOR A SPOT TO FACE AGAINST THE FIFTH OF CONMEBOL? SOMETHING LIKE THIS :

A)

MEXICO

TRINIDAD-TOBAGO

JAMAICA

ST.KITTS

GUYANA

B)

COSTA RICA

GUATEMALA

HONDURAS

CUBA

BARBADOS

C)

USA

PANAMA

EL SALVADOR

CANADA

HAITI

I think this is good discussion. The problem however wasn't necessarily Canada's group in the last WCQ, but the way that we played. We were terrible right from the start.

What I would like to see is CONCACAF to publish well in advance how they are going to do the draw, and then to do it publicly. I think we can agree that we need to go from the numbers we have now to around 12, and then down to a hexagonal. This will give most teams a chance.

I think the biggest thing here is the draw. The other issue, which if I remember Yallop talking about a few years ago was the number of games. I have no idea how they can be reduced. Its good to hear that we keep the extra half spot even though concacaf stunk out the place in Germany.

quote:Originally posted by Alex

I think the biggest thing here is the draw. The other issue, which if I remember Yallop talking about a few years ago was the number of games. I have no idea how they can be reduced. Its good to hear that we keep the extra half spot even though concacaf stunk out the place in Germany.

Two 5-team groups as a final round, but that would ensure no more USA-Mex in WCQ and they don't want that...

Archived