Canadian Coaches Abroad Thread (not)

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

Don't know why it took me till now to come up with this great idea for a sticky: a thread on Canadian coaches. I guess it has to do with being so long without a head coach for the men that they have given me more time to muse about things.

Here's the thought: if the team finds itself with a left back injured or another retiring from the squad, we come on here and most have a few solutions in terms of players to fill the spot. We have a player pool, we are proud to see it grow, we have youth coming up, there are always alternatives.

Compare that with the coaches situation. I would say that our coaches pool is terrible, we have few Canadians, if any, coaching internationally, and even less who actually were born in Canada. If we were to make a list right now of the top 10 Canadian coaches of clubs as determined by the club's level or quality, we would find ourself at a rather low level by the time we hit the last in the list.

This explains why for all the speculation about a new coach, we do not hear on this board too much about possible replacements. Because in fact we have so damn few from our own nation. Considering how many ex-players we have, it is odd that so few would have considered getting prepared for a coach's career after the playing years were done.

So I would propose a sticky, or if not a sort of poll on this thread: who are the top five Canadian coaches, in terms of quality of club and results obtained from them.

Guest Jeffery S.

But seriously folks...

I haven't a clue, but maybe someone out there does. Right now could someone rank the top active Canadian coaches, men's teams, in Canada or elsewhere, including NCAA?

I know that Yallop would be there, and probably first for the level of the club, but after him?

Anyone want to edify us with a top 10 active Canadian coaches?

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Slim pickings....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Canadian_soccer_coaches

Not all of the above coaches are active. It isn't comprehensive as CIS coaches or NCAA (if there are any) are not listed.

That Wikipedia article got me onto a list of Rany Samuel internationals, after clicking around on a few of the games. What I was impressed with was Canada getting some notable nations to have friendlies in different parts of the country. The most notable being Wales, England, Scotland, and Chile.

Why can't we attract other soccer nations? And what was the last country to play in Canada, against Canada that made you say wow?

Come on, we just played superpowerhouse Hungary lol About 10 years ago Canada started a very interesting tournament that would be really helpful now but they discontinued it. We started an annual tournament in our own backyard where we had national teams from Portugal and Ireland as well as others visiting and playing Canada in a tournament format. It's too bad it did not last beyond 2-3 years.

• 6 months later...

Since nobody seems to have posted it here...from bigsoccer...

Colin Miller named Derby assistant coach

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two staff join the Rams

Tue 03 Jul 2007

http://www.dcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page...066396,00.html

Derby County have confirmed the appointment of Craig Brown and Colin Miller to boss Billy Davies's backroom staff.

Brown, the former Scotland boss and manager at Preston North End - where Davies was his assistant - joins as a football consultant.

And the second appointment is Colin Miller, who arrives at the club as assistant first-team coach.

Miller, 42, was born in Scotland but emigrated to Vancouver in 1975 and took up Canadian citizenship seven years later.

He is a former defender with Glasgow Rangers, where he first met Davies, and also played for Toronto Blizzard in the old North American Soccer League, along with spells at Doncaster Rovers, St Johnstone, Hamilton Academical, Heart of Midlothian, Dunfermline Athletic, Ayr United and a time as player-manager at Hamilton.

Miller has 61 caps for Canada to his name, more than 30 as captain, and he was also assistant national coach.

Lately he has been working as a youth coach with the Abbotsford Soccer Association, in the Fraser Valley in British Columbia, specifically the Abbotsford Rangers USL Premier Development League side.

We'll have more news on the appointments here at www.dcfc.co.uk today.

Derby boss Davies agrees to new deal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6264854.stm

Derby County manager Billy Davies has agreed a one-year contract extension with the Pride Park club.

Davies has been rewarded for steering the Rams into the Premiership and his deal will now run until 2010.

There was speculation over the future of the Scot after the play-off final win over West Brom but those fears will have been allayed by the new deal.

"This is very good news and I would say it is like a new signing," chairman Peter Gadsby told the club's website.

Davies switched from Preston to Derby in June 2006 and guided the club to promotion into the top-flight in his first season.

But, in the wake of the 1-0 play-off final win, he hinted at a rift with the board after they failed to appoint David Kelly as his assistant.

Gadsby has been in talks with Davies over the "last few weeks" and has succeeded in persuading Davies to stay.

Davies has now appointed Canadian Colin Miller as first-team coach and former Scotland boss Craig Brown as football consultant.

Davies was assistant to his fellow countryman at Preston before taking over as manager in August 2004 and spending nearly two years with the Deepdale club.

"Craig Brown has a wealth of football contacts and football knowledge which I am keen to tap into," said Davies.

"We are very keen to open up the European market for players and Craig will be invaluable in helping us exploit that market.

"I've also appointed Colin as first-team coach, somebody whose career I have followed very closely.

"He's a fantastic coach with coaching experience across the world.

"His day-to-day role will primarily be an assessment of our opposition - their strengths and weaknesses.

"But, on top of that, I see the United States and Canada as a marketplace for players which is so far under-developed and with his knowledge of the game over there and his contacts, Colin can help me exploit that."

Derby were in the automatic promotion places in the Championship for much of last season but were overtaken by eventual champions Sunderland.

Birmingham managed to secure the second automatic slot while Derby fell away into the play-off berths.

Davies rallied his side to overcome that disappointment and secure the club's return to the Premiership for the first time since the 2001/2002 season.

Archived