Goalkeeper jersey numbers in France

Alberto7

Just read in Tuesday's Journal de Montreal that Fabien Barthez cannot wear No. 16 with Nantes as it is already taken so he asked for No. 22 but this has been refused as teams in France only use numbers 1, 16, 30 and 40 for goalkeepers. The article went on to say that he would have to wear number 50 as it is the next choice as the other four numbers are already taken.

I know FIFA is very strict about jersey numbers for keepers at certain tournaments(Confederations Cup for one) but I didn't know the French league had these policies. Does anyone know if other leagues have specific numbers for keepers?

Wow. That's pretty funny. Didn't think they did that sort of thing anymore.

#1 Nephew is starting to get into football in ways that are making me proud. Wears my number (#5) and asked me why I wear it expecting that it was so-and-so's number from days gone by. Just told him I mostly played right fullback and usualy started so that was the number the right fullback was assigned. Realy wasn't ever a question of what number you wanted unless you were expected to be a bench sitter.

Doesn't really matter I guess. It's not like you're going to mistake the keeper for anyone else out there.

Don't think most players realy care much either way. Radz wears 13 at Fulham but wore 9 against Hungary. Hutch was in 13 I believe, don't know what number he wears for Copenhagen. Big Kev used to wear 5 at Hearts but would wear whatever with Canada, seemed to change match to match. No idea why.

Our Nats are starting to have "their" numbers.

2 for Braz, 3 for Poz, 4 for McKenna, 5 for Reda, 6 for JDG, 7 for Stalteri/Hume, 8 for Bernier, 10 for Friend, 11 for Brennan, 13 for Hutch, 14 for Pwamme, 15 for Simpson, 17 for Peters (7 with the U20s), etc.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

Just read in Tuesday's Journal de Montreal that Fabien Barthez cannot wear No. 16 with Nantes as it is already taken so he asked for No. 22 but this has been refused as teams in France only use numbers 1, 16, 30 and 40 for goalkeepers. The article went on to say that he would have to wear number 50 as it is the next choice as the other four numbers are already taken.

I know FIFA is very strict about jersey numbers for keepers at certain tournaments(Confederations Cup for one) but I didn't know the French league had these policies. Does anyone know if other leagues have specific numbers for keepers?

FIFA must allow more leeway at the World Cup because Old Baldie was allowed to wear 16 there, wasn't he?

Of the different number choices currently in the Premiership, I find it interesting that Chelsea allowed their Dutch defender (Bhoularouz? the guy that who tried to do amputation surgery on Cristano Ronaldo) to wear No. 9, a classic centre forward number.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

FIFA must allow more leeway at the World Cup because Old Baldie was allowed to wear 16 there, wasn't he?

Of the different number choices currently in the Premiership, I find it interesting that Chelsea allowed their Dutch defender (Bhoularouz? the guy that who tried to do amputation surgery on Cristano Ronaldo) to wear No. 9, a classic centre forward number.

I remember the 2001 Confederations Cup very well and reading that the keppers had to wear specific numbers (I think it was 1, 13 and 23 but don't quote me on it). I checked the FIFA web site and at the World Cup it seems that they are not so strict.

In any case Barthez played his first game with Nantes today and wore number.... 1.

I guess the rumors having of Vladimir Stojkovic leave Nantes to go to Hertha Berlin are confirmed(he was wearing number 1 for Nantes up to today).

Archived