Ex-Ottawa Intrepid

MM2

Cool!!!

I saw him play for the Intrepid in 1990. Unfortunately, Eck had been sold to the Blizzard before the season started but I did get to see him play against the Intrepid in one game.

Ah, to be in 1990 and have an 11 team Canadian soccer league all over again...

You know, the league was not very strong but it was all Canadian, something I fear we will never see again.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

Cool!!!

I saw him play for the Intrepid in 1990. Unfortunately, Eck had been sold to the Blizzard before the season started but I did get to see him play against the Intrepid in one game.

Ah, to be in 1990 and have an 11 team Canadian soccer league all over again...

You know, the league was not very strong but it was all Canadian, something I fear we will never see again.

If it wasn't for the demise of the CSL, we would never have Toronto FC. To not have TFC as the sole hope of Canadian soccer soul be shame, whereas an 11 team all Canadian league was just a silly idea.

Directions for Canadian soccer:

1. Ignore your own league, despite it being the best hope for Canadian talent.

2. Take all eggs in one hand.

3. Place said eggs directly into the basket (***Be sure there is only one basket)

Look in a perfect world an all Canadian league would be the ultimate. However, the makeup of our Canadian sporting culture is one where we seem to want our pro teams participating in North American type leagues. If this was not the case then there would exist all Canadian pro hockey leagues, baskeball leagues and baseball leagues, as we know this is not the case. The only pro sport that an all Canadian league exist is American gridion football with the CFL where the salaries the players make is no where close to salaries in the NFL, NHL, MLB and NBA. Canada's population being situated so close to a country like the USA where we share a simular culture and language and where we are bombarded constantly with American media are one of the many reasons why all Canadian pro leagues don't exist apart from the CFL. Therefore, the most we can now hope for is that the MLS survives and that a few more Canadian cities join so that a few more Canadian players have a place to play. This is the reality of our pro Canadian soccer landscape where the dream of an all Canadian league lies with the dream of an all Canadian major league in other sports, and that is just a dream that unfortunately is not feasible.

AAAAAAAA...It was about 1990 more or less..and I had the fabulous Ottawa Intrepids calendar hanged up on the wall..and dreamt..by the way, does anyone remember an Italian selection that played in Ottawa aroud those years?I was attending the game but just can't remember...

Ps. does anyone have Intrepids photos to post or send me?It's useful for my FIFA07..check here: www.downloads.soccergaming.com

quote:Originally posted by sirio

AAAAAAAA...It was about 1990 more or less..and I had the fabulous Ottawa Intrepids calendar hanged up on the wall..and dreamt..by the way, does anyone remember an Italian selection that played in Ottawa aroud those years?I was attending the game but just can't remember...

Ps. does anyone have Intrepids photos to post or send me?It's useful for my FIFA07..check here: www.downloads.soccergaming.com

Are you thinking of Marco Luchetta who came the University of San Fransisco to the Intrepid and I think was there for three seasons. Played his youth soccer in Italy with Pievigina and Treviso in Serie C1.

Bill

quote:Originally posted by RJB

If it wasn't for the demise of the CSL, we would never have Toronto FC. To not have TFC as the sole hope of Canadian soccer soul be shame, whereas an 11 team all Canadian league was just a silly idea.

Directions for Canadian soccer:

1. Ignore your own league, despite it being the best hope for Canadian talent.

2. Take all eggs in one hand.

3. Place said eggs directly into the basket (***Be sure there is only one basket)

I'm still trying to figure out when TFC was ordained the "sole hope" for Canadian soccer, and by whom.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I'm still trying to figure out when TFC was ordained the "sole hope" for Canadian soccer, and by whom.

Yes it seems a little bit paradoxical that it is all the guys who are against the MLS in Canada who have ordained TFC as the sole hope for Canadian soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

Are you thinking of Marco Luchetta who came the University of San Fransisco to the Intrepid and I think was there for three seasons. Played his youth soccer in Italy with Pievigina and Treviso in Serie C1.

Bill

The Italian selection was the Serie C All-Stars, that played the Intrepid at the Mooney's Bay facility. The Intrepid had a player, Ed McNally, who made quite a rude gesture towards the predominantly italian crowd, thus managing to alienate a bulk of the Intrepid's targeted audience. Great PR move, that was. In retrospect, I doubt that McNally had much recollection of the event the morning after, as he probably would have blown way over the limit by game's end, let alone kick-off! Ah, the old CSL days....

Marco Lucchetta, BTW, was quite a crafty player, who did indeed play at USF, and whose salary was picked up by his uncle, who owned the Italian St.Anthony's club in Ottawa. Of course, he soon realised that more money could be made playing in the lower leagues in the old country!

quote:Originally posted by Gloucester in FLA

The Italian selection was the Serie C All-Stars, that played the Intrepid at the Mooney's Bay facility. The Intrepid had a player, Ed McNally, who made quite a rude gesture towards the predominantly italian crowd, thus managing to alienate a bulk of the Intrepid's targeted audience. Great PR move, that was. In retrospect, I doubt that McNally had much recollection of the event the morning after, as he probably would have blown way over the limit by game's end, let alone kick-off! Ah, the old CSL days....

Marco Lucchetta, BTW, was quite a crafty player, who did indeed play at USF, and whose salary was picked up by his uncle, who owned the Italian St.Anthony's club in Ottawa. Of course, he soon realised that more money could be made playing in the lower leagues in the old country!

Ah yes, Ed McNally. The Blizzard had him for a while.

db

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Yes it seems a little bit paradoxical that it is all the guys who are against the MLS in Canada who have ordained TFC as the sole hope for Canadian soccer.

Granted, I'm harsh towards TFC. I think I've done well to accept them of late, and now that it's clear that they are here to stay I do support them.

I just think that the CSA backing them is wrong.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Granted, I'm harsh towards TFC. I think I've done well to accept them of late, and now that it's clear that they are here to stay I do support them.

I just think that the CSA backing them is wrong.

Did the CSA 'back' them, or did they go hat in hand to MLSE looking for a sugar daddy to get the stadium deal done?

Thanks Gloucester in FLA...And thanks for reminding me of St.Anthony's..as a kid I still remember the stale cigarette smoke in the air while watching Napoli and Inter games...Ah and the Canterbury soccer club..starring me in the midfield!!

Thanks Gloucester in FLA...And thanks for reminding me of St.Anthony's..as a kid I still remember the stale cigarette smoke in the air while watching Napoli and Inter games...Ah and the Canterbury soccer club..starring me in the midfield!!

My understanding is that, as part of the "deal" with the CSA, MLSE will also support and promote the National Team.

I don't see anything wrong with the CSA supporting TFC. As long as they also provide support to the Caps & Impact, and any other proposed professional entity.

Yes, quite the luxurious locale that basement hall on Preston Street....as for the Canterbury soccer club, the pitch at the HS was also first class (not!)

Soccer in Ottawa has come a long way since our old days. There are a ton of bubbles now, and local teams are actually doing very well competing outside of the city. Hopefully the World Cup legacy will increase the status of the game even more.

Sirio,

I just scanned a couple of pictures off Ottawa Intrepid and Montreal Supra programs from 1990. I can't seem to figure out how to send them to you via the Voyageurs so please send me your e-mail address so I can send them to you. My e-mail is

albertohayon7@aol.com

Archived