Osieck back in pro coaching

Guest Ed

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Hmmm, I wonder if he pissed everyone at Fifa too.

Or maybe he is taking the job because he is a head coach by trade and wants to practice his trade again instead of sitting in FIFA committees. As head coach of Japan's top team he will probably also be paid significantly more than he was with FIFA and he already has ties to the club as this is his second stint as their head coach.

It is interesting to note that the amount of respect/credit given to Osieck and Yallop by many on this board is in inverse relationship to the amount of success they had with the team. Good to know that coaches are being evaluated on the criteria of whether they were nice guys or not. (Though to be fair I am replying to a comment from someone who previously posted that nationality should be a prime consideration for hiring a coach and that we should give priority to hiring a coach from South Africa[:0] ). Ossieck had his flaws as coach but still did more for our MNT and youth development than any coach since Waiters.

Interestingly enough the Kicker article states that Klinsmann had chosen Ossieck to join his staff for the WC team but that in final negotiations a deal could not be reached.

I agree with Grizzly.

Despite what many people think of Holger as a person, he was probably the best coach we've ever had. He may have clashed with players, but that is ok with me, because in the end, he brought a continental trophy to the country, that came along with a birth in the Confederations Cup (as well as a Copa America spot, which I believe we refused... I think).

It is a coach of his pedigree that Canada needs at this moment. Good for him, and I wish him the best.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

A good boss does not have to be always liked by everyone in order to be effective.

I agree with RJB and Richard on this one.

Holger did all that could be asked of him and more.

In the end he wore out his welcome just like a Pat Burns or Mike Keenan but he did make his mark just as those two have done.

db

quote:Originally posted by Richard

A good boss does not have to be always liked by everyone in order to be effective.

I agree with RJB and Richard on this one.

Holger did all that could be asked of him and more.

In the end he wore out his welcome just like a Pat Burns or Mike Keenan but he did make his mark just as those two have done.

db

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I agree with Grizzly.

Despite what many people think of Holger as a person, he was probably the best coach we've ever had. He may have clashed with players, but that is ok with me, because in the end, he brought a continental trophy to the country, that came along with a birth in the Confederations Cup (as well as a Copa America spot, which I believe we refused... I think).

It is a coach of his pedigree that Canada needs at this moment. Good for him, and I wish him the best.

I think we, along with some other countries, declined the Copa America spot because of fears of security. Does anyone remember any of the details?

I remember players like Pesch and a half dozen others whinning that when they come back from stressful European competition they want to have fun and this coach is not letting them. The problem is that Canada is not talented enough to achieve anything with fun, very hard work is required. When the players got their way, they showed how far having fun gets you after a disaster World Cup qualifying where Canada could not even get out of the first group stage. It was humiliating. The players made their choice, they did not want to achieve anything great, they wanted to have fun. Then the CSA made the choice of siding with the players and Canada's development got pushed back wasting away more years. They are still not on the right track. I was the most positive about Canada's National team when he was around.

Archived