Should an Experienced Foreign Coach bother?

Canuck Oranje

With all the talk coming out of the CSA about hiring Canadian, should an experienced english speaking international coach bother to apply?

If a necessary condition of being considered is to be Canadian, it would be respectful of those who might apply to be aware of this condition.

I´ve been out of the loop for a while so I don´t know the latest on the CSA´s requirements.

Is there a job posting anywhere? Are the CSA open to combining to the Head Coach and Technical Director positions? Thoughts?

If I was a proven international coach I may not apply however if I am a proven coach in the EPL and looking to make a name in the international game then i would certainly be interested. Canada does have a lot of potential. First of all we have the youth registration that most countries in the world would be envious of. We consistently make the u-20 World Cup and hosting it giving the potential base to develop a great young core for Canada for many years. Concacaf is easier region than say UEFA to qualify. Osieck used this Canada job to land a good job in FIFA while Yallop got a good job out of it also despite only being around for a short time. The game has been growing television wise. Slowly stadiums are being built. The female game also helps to capture interest, particularly the female audience. The kids who play soccer may start to become viewers as adults and pass the game on. And this is all with Canada having very limited success in World Soccer. Making the World Cup one year may get the sponsors and so on more interested. Perhaps a CHL type of youth league could be put together etc. So in short, yes this job should capture the interest of some foreign coaches. CSA is being limiting by hinting publically that they prefer a Canadian coach. I think the CSA need to look at coaches like Lothar Matthaus or Jorgen Klinsman, it would bring instant credibility to the program that would help a lot.

For me, the question was more whether the CSA would consider an experienced international coach or is the issue of being Canadian a dominant requirement? I hope not because I think there are some highly qualified coaches who would apply if they knew they would get fair consideration.

quote:Originally posted by puskas

If I was a proven international coach I may not apply however if I am a proven coach in the EPL and looking to make a name in the international game then i would certainly be interested. Canada does have a lot of potential. First of all we have the youth registration that most countries in the world would be envious of. We consistently make the u-20 World Cup and hosting it giving the potential base to develop a great young core for Canada for many years. Concacaf is easier region than say UEFA to qualify. Osieck used this Canada job to land a good job in FIFA while Yallop got a good job out of it also despite only being around for a short time. The game has been growing television wise. Slowly stadiums are being built. The female game also helps to capture interest, particularly the female audience. The kids who play soccer may start to become viewers as adults and pass the game on. And this is all with Canada having very limited success in World Soccer. Making the World Cup one year may get the sponsors and so on more interested. Perhaps a CHL type of youth league could be put together etc. So in short, yes this job should capture the interest of some foreign coaches. CSA is being limiting by hinting publically that they prefer a Canadian coach. I think the CSA need to look at coaches like Lothar Matthaus or Jorgen Klinsman, it would bring instant credibility to the program that would help a lot.

I agree and that is my concern. I think (actually know of) there are some highly qualified club coaches (with international experience) who may be interested in giving national team coaching a try. Canada offers an opportunity with some potential for success.

quote:Originally posted by puskas

They have mentioned that they preferred a Canadian because such a coach would understand the Canadian athlete. Whatever that means. I think the CSA is really limiting our choices if they are picking based on nationality.

Archived