Canadian Soccer - 2007

MM2

Looks like 2007 will be a busy and important year for Canadian soccer.

I jotted down a list of events in rough order of importance.

1. U-20 World Cup

2. Toronto FC

3. CSA (new MNT coach, COO, Technical Director, WNT coach?)

4. MNT -Gold Cup

5. WNT -World Cup

6. CSA Canada Open Cup (Concacaf Champions Cup in 2008)

7. USL Season (Div. 1, PDL, W-league, Y-league)

8. Start construction of SSSs in Montreal and Vancouver

9. Will they play for Canada or ____?

10. Olympic Qualifying?

11. Canadians Abroad

12. U-17 World Cup

13. Charmaine vs. Even

The Gold Cup should be a huge priority for the CSA, right behind the World Cup teams (men, women). This is a tournament that is our regional Championship, and we should treat it as such. Getting a spot in the Confederations Cup could be huge for us.

I don't see TFC as a big deal for Canadian soccer. One team in a league that isn't that far ahead of USL isn't going to make or break us. Not to mention that there will only be a handful of Canadians on the squad.

I see Charmaine vs. Pellerud as important because it could spell big trouble for the Women's team and program. I also think that Mr. Pellerud is finished at the end of this World Cup. The team is very talented everywhere but at the coaching position, where he refuses to use the skill of the team, and insists on kick and run.

I agree though that this will be a big year for us. It could be just the big year that we need to spring board us into a little more exposure. A good run by the Women in China could be good(and could be bad, because do we really want people to be exposed to them? I just get so frustrated because they can play so much more attractive soccer), and a good showing by the U-20 lads together with a solid Gold Cup, and all of a sudden we are looking real good. People will notice the teams, and maybe in the wake of some success in these events, we'll get some folks interested in WCQ the next year, which would get more inspiration for the team.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I don't see TFC as a big deal for Canadian soccer.

It will be a big deal if it creates a buzz about the local (Canadian) game in the country's largest media market.

MLS may not be that far ahead of the USL (a point with which I don't agree), but its surely waking up this market from the soccer slumber, so to speak.

Having Jimmy Brennan, Greg Sutton et al., as household names in Toronto would be a huge boon for the sport in this city, and by extension the national team. If Montreal and Vancouver follow Toronto into MLS within 5-10 years as expected, and create as much buzz in those respective markets as MLS has here (and going by USL numbers, that should be an easier job in those cities), then we'll be a lot better off than we are with the USL teams.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

If Montreal and Vancouver follow Toronto into MLS within 5-10 years as expected, and create as much buzz in those respective markets as MLS has here (and going by USL numbers, that should be an easier job in those cities), then we'll be a lot better off than we are with the USL teams.

This is exactly why MLS is not a big deal for me. How can it be considered a success that after 5-10 years we have 3 teams? That sounds more like a failure than a success. The reason TFC is not a big deal is because they will not help Canadian soccer be more successful at the national level. I'll give you that they may generate more interest, but I'd be surprised if they manage more fan support than the Impact.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I'll give you that they may generate more interest, but I'd be surprised if they manage more fan support than the Impact.

Well, the way they're run (ie professionaly as opposed to ressembling a rural community centre) will help them do that within the first year. A quick glance at the online community will show you that.

Archived