Canada’s U-20 Men to Host Scotland in March

loyola

Men’s U-20 Team

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Canada’s U-20 Men to Host Scotland in March

Head Coach Dale Mitchell is getting his team geared up for the FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007

OTTAWA, ONTARIO - The Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) is pleased to announce that Canada’s Under-20 Men’s World Cup Team will host Scotland in a two-game international friendly series played on Saturday, March 24th, 2007 at Swangard Stadium in Burnaby, BC and Tuesday, March 27th, 2007 at the Royal Athletic Park in Victoria, BC.

This two-match series will serve as preparatory competition for Canada in light of the upcoming FIFA U-20 World Cup next summer.

Scotland is one of six teams to have qualified from UEFA for the FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007. They earned a place in the U-20 World Cup along side Austria, Czech Republic, Poland, Portugal and Spain at the UEFA European U-19 Championship held in Poland in July. They finished second behind Spain following a 2:1 loss in the final.

'The Scotland series will be the start of our 2007 Cross Canada Tour and our first major test of the year with most of our squad available according to the FIFA International calendar,' said Head Coach Dale Mitchell. “We know that they will be well supported here in Western Canada where many Scots originally immigrated. Any team that can get to the European final must be a quality side and we look forward to hosting them.'

Game times, tickets pricing and on sale dates will be made available in the near future.

Additional Tour dates and details will also be announced at a later time.

Game schedule:

Saturday, March 24, 2006 – Canada’s U-20 Men vs. Scotland – Burnaby, BC

Tuesday, March 27, 2006 – Canada’s U-20 Men vs. Scotland – Victoria, BC

List of qualified teams for the FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007:

Canada: (Host)

Europe (UEFA): Austria, Czech Republic, Poland, Portugal, Scotland and Spain

Asia (AFC): Japan, Jordan, Korea Republic and Korea DPR.

Confederation of African Football (CAF) (Four teams will qualify): Qualifying tournament will be held January 21st to February 4th, 2007. Four teams will qualify.

South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL): Qualifying tournament will be held from January 7th - 27th, 2007. Four teams will qualify

Oceania Football Confederation (OFC): Qualifying tournament will be held from January 20th – 31st, 2007. One team will qualify.

Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF): two rounds of qualifying: Group A) January 17th-24th, 2007; February 21st – 25th, 2007. Four teams will qualify.

FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007 – It’s gonna be huge.

In 2007, the world’s biggest game is coming to Canada. Canada will host the World’s finest under-20 players in six cities across the country – Victoria, Burnaby, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal – June 30 - July 22, 2007.

The biennial event is second only to the FIFA World Cup™ in size and scope and will showcase the most talented under-20 soccer players in the world. The tournament has been the coming-out party for some of the game’s top players - Maradona, Saviola, Raúl, Marco Van Basten, Luis Figo, Ruiz Costa, Thierry Henry, Adriano, Roberto Carlos, Bebeto and Dunga as well as Canada’s Craig Forrest and many members of the current Men’s World Cup Team.

Last held in CONCACAF in 1983 in Mexico, Canada’s most recent participation in this event occurred last June in the Netherlands from June 10 - July 2, 2005.

Canada enjoyed its best ever finish in a World Championship in December 2003, losing to eventual silver medalist Spain on a golden goal in the quarter finals in the United Arab Emirates.

For more information regarding the FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007, please visit www.FIFA.com.

When I first read "2007 Cross Canada Tour" I just figured that they would be playing in each of the venues. That would mean Vancouver/Victoria in March, Edmonton in April, Ottawa/Montreal in May and then maybe some tuneup games in Toronto in June. Mostly to generate excitement in the host cities.

For some reason I doubt that it will be a "real" cross-Canada tour.

Well, so far the CSA has done pretty much what they said they would do with this group and it's not the first time we heard about this Cross Tour idea.

There's rumour about a Canada vs Mexico in June in Sherbrooke so maybe other cities will get games. I hope. But in march the only place you can play is BC and I don't see other venues apart from Victoria and Swanguard.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

There's rumour about a Canada vs Mexico in June in Sherbrooke so maybe other cities will get games. I hope. But in march the only place you can play is BC and I don't see other venues apart from Victoria and Swanguard.

It would be great if they went to some non-traditional venues. Sherbrooke and King George V would be cool.

Looking back on my post, I would think something in Edmonton in April might be dicey. I have no idea what the weather's like there at that time of year.

They should and seem to be taking the game to the country. I like this. And against recognizable opponents too. With the tournament here, I expect that they will be able to get a tonne of matches in pre-tournament. That would be the best time to showcase themselves around the nation.

But this is a very good start.

• 1 month later...
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Tickets for the Victoria game go on sale on Friday. $25 for gold zone and $20 for silver.

More details

Thanks for the heads-up. The Vancouver game is now listed on Ticketmaster. Tickets on sale to General Public on Wednesday the 7th, pre-sale to FIFA U-20 Supporters on Feb 2nd.

Ticketmaster link

CA $16.00 - CA $26.50

Internet Onsale Info

Onsale to General Public:

Wed, 02/07/07 10:00 AM PST

Internet Presale Info

FIFA U-20 Supporters:

Start:Fri, 02/02/07 10:00 AM PST

End:Tue, 02/06/07 11:00 PM PST

<mod>Cleaned up link

quote:Originally posted by Canucks fan

has anyone gotten the advance ticket offer canada soccer usually sends out? I normally get one from them (and even the Whitecaps sometimes) for these kinds of events but haven't gotten an email yet....

reply......take 2..i have yet to receive anything from either the 'caps or Canada. There is neither media nor radio and tv thus far. I suspecet they will do the ads later on if ticket sales are not that great. Should be a great game though. Any cheering section plan. And if there is..please not in the grand stand with all the lame golf clapping, non flag waving, "would you please sit down", "would you please not yell" type of people who should watch the game on tv. I have never organized anything of this nature but would be willing to help.

Archived