Canadian Soccer's $50 Million Question

Bill Ault

There has been a lot of talk recently about budgets, in particular the budget of the Canadian Soccer Association, which is estimated at about $13 million with about five of that going to our national team programs. The figures are estimated because in this country trying to pry the true budgets out of clubs, districts, provincial associations and not just the national governing body is akin to stealing the crown jewels – not easily done.

the full rant at www.canadakicks.com

Bill

A very good read there Bill. Thanks for that. Any provincial assocation execs ready to hand in the towel, give up that suit and the implicit power therein??? One at a time now!

The MSA site gives an excellent break down.

http://www.manitobasoccer.ca/membership/registration.php

You'll notice the CSA tax is $7 and the MSA's $24. Couldn't say if the Provincial Associations in other provinces collect as much but here in Manitoba our player numbers are behind most others on a per-capita basis so we don't benefit as much from the economy of scale as others.

I can't see the CSA charging it's memberships different amounts across the country though. At least not without exceptional reasons (funding infastructure programs, blah, blah, blah).

Yeah, interesting articule, Bill. Don't see the Provincial Associations going anywhere any time soon though.

A direct ballot system for the elected positions within the CSA heirarchy is long, long, past overdue.

quote:Originally posted by CheetaYou'll notice the CSA tax is $7 ... I can't see the CSA charging it's memberships different amounts across the country though.

Just to confirm - the CSA fee is a standard $6.00 per player across the country - with a $1.00 addition (bringing it to $7.00) for 2007 only to support the preparations for our U-20 team.

With player registration across the country at 800,000+, you can easily figure out how much this brings in.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Spiers

With player registration across the country at 800,000+

What does that number include? Is it anyone that plays organized Soccer in Canada? My small town has an indoor league going on right now, $65 per person. Do the kids playing in that count as registered players?

Sorry, I am new to all this.

Well ANC2 you must go to different budget meetings than I have. When issues like this arise, most parents definitely do not 'gladly' turn over money to provincial or national associationes. In fact, most bitch and moan about why they have to pay these fees (with some merit I might add because they sure as heck do NOT see much at the grass roots level for their association fees to national and provincial associations).

Ed - is it really parents who 'bitch and moan' or is it the clubs? My experience has been that very few parents show up for Club AGMs and I'm sure the number at District and Provincial AGMs - where the matter of fees is likely to be discussed - is even less. However, I must admit I have often seen Club officials complaining about "their" money going on to the Provincial and National bodies.

Same old story. Too many Police Chiefs, not enough Cops.

The problem is that the people who need to change things are the very people in charge, and they'd be changing themselves out of a cushy gig. It's like asking the government to bring in some type of proportional representation, which would take away seats for them.

It needs to happen. We need a complete overhaul of the entire system in this country. It seems that Mr. Linford has started that, and depending on who he hires for the MNT coach we'll see if he's serious (Dale Mitchell or Stephen Hart would simply be perceived in my opinion as more of the same).

Pressure from Linford, or whoever it would come from at the CSA (CEO maybe?) could inspire change in the Provincial Associations.

Archived